1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

choices

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by shadyridgekennel, Jul 14, 2008.

1. For a ADBA show dog. what would you get a slatmill or carpet mill to add condition?

2. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

I think the vast majority of people will agree with me and say a slat mill. There is a reason they cost much more than a carpet mill.

3. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

definately slat mill, it'll give u the "look" u need for conformation shows. I think a carpet mill is more for strength training than conditioning

4. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

From what I have been told the slat mill is much better than the carpet mill.

5. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

slat for toning up
    carpet for building strength

many people use BOTH

6. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

If money was no object i'd get a slat mill for sure. My wife would put a bullet in my head if I every spend that kind of cash on a mill....i'd love to get one though.

7. YAHHOOO

YAHHOOO Big Dog

Agreed a slat mill is better. Carpet mills I have heard can be damaging to a dog in many different ways if you arent carefull also. That could go for any mill I guess but the resistance of a carpet mill amplifies the problem. I definatly want to invest in a slat after I get out of college :)

8. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

Why do you need strength training?? Your dog should already be strong enough and its just your job to get him fit to run a marathon.

Strength training is highly overrated IMO its all in the genetics.

9. Mr Mark

Mr Mark Guest

Free spinning carpet mill, lol. They're quieter!

10. YAHHOOO

YAHHOOO Big Dog

Is there such a thing or is this just wishful thinking?

11. Mr Mark

Mr Mark Guest

12. well okay let me ask this. as far as free moving carpet mills would you go with a colby or a grand carpet?

13. >BLAZE<

>BLAZE< Big Dog

Does the colby mill and grand carpet mill produce the same results as the a slat mill?

14. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

I don't think you can compare mills like that because it's in the dog's genetics also. I believe it's just by choice.

15. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

No not at all, carpet mills add some type of resistance. While slat mills are of the more free turning kind allowing the dog to "free condition" itself. In other words a dog would have to dig a little bit more on carpet and on the slats it allows them to get up to top speed in an instance.

16. Ive always been one to believe, Carpet mill build muscle, Slat mills tone it. Slat is wind, aerobics, conditioning.

I picked mine up from a guy who apparently needed lawyer money for $350.

17. Osea

Osea Banned

Neither. Once I had the diet right I would spend more time out in the fresh air walking and biking with the dog. Mental stimulation does wonders for a dog when getting it ready for a show.

18. rhumble

rhumble Big Dog

it seems that lemm's mills are very good too, free conditioning

19. Once you have the basic concept of a slat mill, they are not that hard to build IF you can weld. you can use inline wheel or rollers like used in unloading boxes off trucks. Wood slats and leather belt to attach slats too, weld frame, and 4 small wheels you can pick up at lowes, Ace etc. A buddy just built a very nice one, took awhile but he made a very nice one.

What about jenny's, I would like to build one of these, also called cat mills. Similar to a horse walker in style.

20. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

thats fine if the area allows it.
    back home we walked 3 hours every single day ( 3 -1 hour sessions)-we encountered more bear and deer than anything. down here i cant walk the dogs 100 yards off my property due to all the loose/roaming dogs ( i have caught and relocated off my land 2 so far) so all my dogs workouts have to happen here on my land. and a carpet mill is part of that equation for me. i will be building a slat mill once things settle down a bit