1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Chains

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Dunlap 1, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Only complaint I have is the dirt mound but I think you'll have that regardless to some extent. But no, just sink it and let it set for a few days. If you have a lot of trees you'll be fighting roots, but as far as pulling back up, no way. If the ground is soft and it comes back up a little, just crank it back down. I only had that problem with the 4" diameter. They ain't coming back up once they're settled. :) if you have a TSC near by, there's no need to go anywhere else for your chain set up hardware, they have everything you need including the chain.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  2. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

yea, there not to far from me. I'll be heading there to pick it up and check out everything I need. Thanks for the info.

3. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

i made a small loop around the axle with the chain and a quick link CRANKED closed with loctite on it. used a post hole digger for a one foot hole (axle diameter from a ford ranger fits perfectly). pound it in with a maul or something of the like. quick link with loctite to the swivel, quick link with loctite from swivel to an o-ring on the collar and to the d-ring. dog doesn't go anywhere if the collar fits. no mounding issues, and gorund ha a slight grade so drainage is fine. only problem you get is ruts around the end of the chain space if the axle is centered and they can run in a 95% circle. that's the only problem i have.

i use a setup shown to me by someone whose opinion i value, never failed me yet. only thing different i think is he might have an o-ring -> quick link -> chain around the axle, not sure, we didn't dig any up to look and quick link to the d-ring and no additional o-ring.

4. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

Thanks Chef Kergin,
    anyone know where to get rock dust? I went with a 5X10 kennel set up from Lowes. I will do the axel set-up also but I will have an easier time keeping the dogs from getting hurt by animals if there in a kennel. The only thing I'm missing is the rock dust and Lowes doesn't sell it unless I'm looking under the wrong name...lol