1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ch Cutlass

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by The Saint, Aug 6, 2012.

1. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

Champion Cutlass – clever as ever and the full package

Now where do I start? As the years tick by I tend to forget more than I can remember, so I suppose I’d have to start right at the beginning when I first got to see Cutlass. A guy working for a pharmaceutical company as a rep, initially owned Cutlass and Cleo. He had pups advertised and I went to go have a look, but when I got there the pups were all sold and only Cutlass, Cleo and a young bitch of about six months old were still left on the yard.

Now the little bitch had a bit of mange as the guy traveled a lot and couldn’t really care for all three the dogs and I asked him to sell me the young bitch, which he did. She was arguably the gamest little dog I owned, but Boots and others proved dead game. Anyway the story is not about Blue, but rather her dad and this was my first encounter with Cutlass. Little did I know that our paths would cross again a couple of years later. At that stage he was still a young and handsome looking animal, but I did not trust him as the owner warned that he might bite. Cutlass had good conformation with a head which looked a bit too big for a dog of his size and weight. He was stocky built, with a solid frame.

A couple of years later at a mall I got to see this young boy of about 10 years old, in the back of a 1400 Nissan bakkie with a bitch and some young puppies. Being a pitbull fan at that stage I walked across toward the bakkie and introduced myself to the youngster whom I later learnt was the son of Bouncer, the new owner of Cutlass and Cleo. The bitch in the bakkie just happened to be Cleo and I immediately recognized her when I laid eyes on her and that got me on a friendship with Bouncer and many colourful characters. What a small world – you’d have to agree. When bouncer collected Cutlass from his previous owner, he was also warned that he could take Cutlass, but that he might get bitten as the dog was a little mean and difficult to handle. Bouncer just asked the owner to clip the leash onto the dog and he’d handle the rest. Cutlass might’ve been rough, but I’m sure that he was not prepared for what was about to follow. Bouncer grabbed the leash, flung Cutlass over the stable door and manhandled the bewildered Cutlass. After Bouncer roughed the dog up a bit he was meek as a little lamb and Bouncer gave him to his son, who was about 10 years of age to walk the dog down the road.

I recall sitting in Bouncer’s lounge just having “lekker” bulldog talk, when Bouncer’s Ford Sierra started shaking. Yes, believe it or not, but Cutlass punctured that vehicle’s tyre and was furiously shaking the wheel of that car. He was probably the strongest dog I’ve seen in his weight category and this proved to be the truth when he was matched into Jack the Ripper, but a little more on that story later.

Cutlass had a schooling or two before he was first matched into a dog named “Sonny Boy”. The Southerner conditioned Cutlass for his first match and Bouncer conditioned his favourite dog then, named Nero who later became Ch Nero. Cutlass blew his opponent out of the water in 17 min and his handler conceded in short order.

Now I can’t recall whether it was before or after his first match that Cutlass got schooled into Freud, because The Southerner wanted to have a good look at Cutlass before campaigning him up north. Well, what better schooling could he get other than the hardest mouth in the South way back then in Freud. Just to put things into perspective on Freud: He happened to be the dog which beat Ch Panther, when Panther outweighed him by a couple of kilograms, but that’s a completely different story which we’ll save for some other time. Anyway Cutlass proved a very good dog in this schooling, but was left with a limp in one foot handed to him by the hard mouth of Freud.

Cutlass was campaigned by “Buffalo Battalion”, which consisted of three men:
    A man who lived dogs named “The Southerner”, the highly committed, rough and ready for action “Bouncer” and the walking Pitbull pedigree encyclopedia “Shogun”. Or rather that is how I saw them.

The second match was into a much talked about dog named “Jack The Ripper” who was a littermate of CH Roxy. This dog was touted as a dog killer and I was told back then that he killed several dogs in schoolings, but we all know that the tail grows as many times as the story is told and then finally he was a one time winner. Mr. True Blood couldn’t get “Jack The Ripper” hooked up, as nobody wanted any part of him, but the boys down south relished at the idea of taking him on. For those who don’t know, back then it was not really a strain vs another (like now the Friscos against the Yellows), but rather the south vs the north and the south I must ashamedly say came a bad second. We just didn’t have answers to the Yellow/Bullyson dogs up north.

Anyway Cutlass got hooked up and he had to travel the length of the country with “Buffalo Battalion”, all the way from the coast to the Highveld and going in as the underdog. On the way up north to meet the “Jack The Ripper” dog, Cutlass pulled a nice one on Stuntman and a Dalton brother, who both were traveling with him in the back of Bouncer’s bakkie. Stuntman and the Dalton bro. were eating biltong when Cutlass decided to rob them of their eatables. Stuntman knew if he did not let Cutlass have his way that he might become the next object of focus and quickly gave up his treat. He also tore up their facecloths and toothbrushes – wonder what happened to their undies? This dog had a bad attitude and a mind all of his own. I always had the feeling that he could not be intimidated. When I asked Bouncer what he thought was remarkable about Cutlass he just said: “His attitude. I’ve never seen a dog with such a bad attitude. He was really mean and was cannibalistic if you left him with a down dog, as he’d start eating on the down dog.” To me Cutlass was just plain moody, because the one day it would be alright to pat him on the head and just the following day he’d want to eat you. I recall that Southerner always carried a boot knife whilst conditioning Cutlass, just in case he turned on him. My opinion always was that he tolerated Southerner, because they spent much time together, but he respected Bouncer for being rougher than he was.

When they arrived up north they had to travel another 400 km to the venue. Upon arrival everybody laughed and joked about Buffalo Battalion bringing a Doberman to match their killing machine. Southerner took pride in the fact that he told them that they had the dog’s tail docked to make weight and I probably listened to that same story about a thousand times. The laughter didn’t last too long though, because Cutlass proved to be anything but a Doberman that night.
    Upon “release your dogs”, Cutlass was not focused on the opponent, but rather on the Springbok head which was mounted in the centre of the hut (rondawel) as I think Cutlass would’ve scratched into that head, because he was always up for a brawl with anything on the opposite side. When Cutlass finally saw the opponent coming he gave a type of howl and from there on it was one-way traffic. He flipped Jack the Ripper and his spine slammed onto the wooden floors so hard and loud, it sounded like a gun going off.
    “Jack The Ripper” never got into the match and was whipped for 26 minutes long until he finally gave it up. After the convention Cutlass was the only dog that could bark and still go on like he never went to battle. He was probably relishing at the idea of having some more Yellow supper.

Bouncer said Cutlass was a workaholic, as this dog worked hard when taken out on the road during conditioning. It was a pleasure working this dog as he put in all the effort during a keep. He chased after anything that didn’t look like a stone and would more than likely scratch into it as well, be it papers, plastic bags or just about anything that he saw on the road. He was always focused on anything moving in front of him and would strain on the leash to get to it. There was no way that he would return home the same way he came, you just had to take him a different route back home otherwise he’d rebel and wouldn’t move, even if it meant you had to take a longer route back home.

The only animal “Cutlass” tolerated was a big red Tomcat which slept with him in his kennel, much to Bouncers dismay as this cat had Ch “Nero” barking all night. Anything else on four legs (and some on two legs) was good for a brawl or killing according to Cutlass, except for that big red Tomcat.

The pedigree of Ch Cutlass says that he was out of Bianca’s Rex over Bianca’s Rose and Bouncer believed that pedigree to be true. The Southerner however had a different take on that pedigree and swore that he saw the litter Cutlass was supposed to have been born from and that there was no black pup in that litter. He could’ve been right and somewhere in The Pitbull Breeder’s Digest he gives his version on how Cutlass was bred. The Southerner believed that Cutlass was bred from his old Henry stock and I believed differently, because the old Henry dogs (which later became known as Southerner’s dogs) were mostly tan and white, and buckskin and white dogs. The Southerner used the name Henry to register his dogs before he started registering them as Souherner’s dogs. I did not confirm with him if I am allowed to say why he used that name (he might deem it a personal matter), as I have not seen this friend in many years and therefore we will not go into why his dogs changed from Henry’s to Southerner’s. I think the last I saw him and Chicken P was at Hudson Hawk’s wedding. The reason why I believed Cutlass was not a Henry dog, was the fact that Cutlass did not resemble any of these dogs as he looked completely different from any of the Henry dogs I’ve seen. I still have a photo somewhere of Henry’s Cleo and Icepick. Right up until today I am convinced that Cutlass was a Bullyson dog, as he looked like the old Eli dogs. He was black with a tinge of white on his chest. He was rough as hell just like the old Bullyson dogs and operated like most Bullyson dogs did back then, but this is just my opinion and should not be accepted as gospel. I also know that Jeremy, the guy who initially owned Cutlass, bought him in Johannesburg when he was still a pharmaceutical rep and traveled much. So why would a Henry dog end up in Johannesburg and then get sold again as a pup to someone who lives in Cape Town? Once again I’d like to stress the point that this is just my opinion and not confirmed by or with anybody else.

To sum up my opinion on Ch Cutlass:
    I think he was the meanest of dogs I’ve seen. He had a malicious, vindictive way about him that left you with the impression that he was not just trying to fight another dog, but that he was really trying to murder, maybe even annihilate, that dog in the quickest possible time. To me he was the full package, a naturally long winded dog with good mouth and wrestling ability, but I think he’s greatest attribute as a warrior was his strength. This dog could sum up and outwrestle and out maneuver any dog in his weight category.
    I will fondly remember him as one of the all time greatest dogs I’ve seen.

THE SAINT

PS: I also know for a fact that “Buffalo Battalion” called on Gr Ch Sir Thomas for a Cutlass’ championship match and it was all set to go, but it never happened due to the camp up north coming up with the excuse that their dog was run over during his keep, to which “The Southerner” advised them to retire the dog, but soon after Cutlass made Champion, Sir Thomas went into a novice and making him the 7xW Gr Ch Sir Thomas.
    No disrespect to the Grand Champion, just some information that get's passed on

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

nice read saint

3. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

It was a pleasure recapturing the history of a great little dog.

4. Jim R

Jim R Banned

", except for that big red Tomcat."

hehe. nice.

5. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

was this in england?

6. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

Guess in which country you'd find Cape Town??? Under the shadow of Table Mountain...

7. Mashamplan

Mashamplan Big Dog

Thanx Saint. I like what I heard about Cutlass. I wish we could get some write ups on more of the dogs from the past like Ch. Nero, Gr. Ch. PW, Gr. Ch. Sir Thomas, Ch. Sledge, Ch. Panther, Marius' Bull, Ch. Iris, Ch. Mufasa, etc.

8. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

Ja mashamps he was better than most, I will probably write something on Ch Nero & Ch Mufasa when I've got more time on hands, but that wont be anytime soon. Saw Panther once but apart from that I never had any other 1st hand experience with him.
    The other champs were all up from the northern part of the country.

9. Mashamplan

Mashamplan Big Dog

It would be greatly appreciated Saint.

10. 179pitman

179pitman Pup

not being rude but what does this have to do with bulldog history

11. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

He was a bulldog which beat bulldogs... This happened in the past...
    That would make it bulldog history don't you agree? To some this would be obvious. LOL

12. Great read . Im not surprised that he had a tomcat as a friend. Thanks for sharing the story.

13. 179pitman

179pitman Pup

There was an ad about sunglasses there when I put up that post

14. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

My apologies then Pitman179 for those snide remarks, but I was under the impression you were just trying to be a smart ass...

15. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

My pleasure TK, Cutlass was exceptional in that he would bully his opposition into submission by being so rough and strong that they wouldn't get a chance to put any damage on him.

16. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

What I'd cutlas pedigree

17. The Saint

The Saint Big Dog

This is the only pedigree I could find online, but it is incomplete. SAAPBT | South African American pitbull terrier database
    I do have a handwritten pedigree on Cutlass at home somewhere. I will see if I can find it and update that pedigree somewhere, however I suggest you look at the article and how I dispute the pedigree as there was no original paperwork. Some research was done and I think the outcome was completely bias, but it is my opinion.