1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Catchweight?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by bahamutt99, Dec 1, 2008.

1. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Just a debate from another board. I was wondering at what weight one considers a dog to be catchweight? I said 60s and over, someone else has said that catchweight dogs are in the 80s and over. Thoughts?

2. B

B CH Dog

I don't think there is an official weight but I would tend to agree with you. Those size dogs are not really common among properly bred game lines. My Chinaman male is nearly 55lbs out of shape I think he's HUGE. I've had game bred males running 40lbs or so and some females that were 25-30lbs soaking wet. I tend to prefer the smaller dogs.

Regards,

B

3. 60lbs is the cut off IMO...I'll take that number and call that one catchweight

4. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

My six month old pup got weighed today at 53 pounds. He has very little fat on him. He isn't bully but he isn't game lines either. His parents are UKC APBT. Dad is 69 pounds and mom is 59 pounds, but both dogs in my uneducated opinion could lose atleast 5 pounds each. My OB trainer has a female Staffy that is 45 pounds and is ALOT bigger then my dog. Not so much tall but much wider and just over all bulkier. She too could lose a few pounds. I have no idea what makes my dog weigh so much. My wife says his head is full of rocks lol.

I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question I have no idea what catch weight is. I am just bored and felt like typing hehe.

5. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Catchweight was traditionally 55 lbs. for males.

6. DOwho???

DOwho??? Big Dog

i would say 55 and over, but it boils down to what is agreed on.

7. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. The magic number I used to always hear was 65 lbs, and the argument was made that a 60s dog would condition down to the 50s, and thus wouldn't be catchweight.

8. crazycooter

crazycooter Top Dog

i would say it depends on what you are trying to catch. a cat then 40's a hog then around 70's but you dont want one of those 100 plus things because all there fat would just get in the way then! lol

9. hozomeen

hozomeen Big Dog

Was'nt Mayday 75lbs? He was considered catchweight.