1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Carpet Mill Design plans - Picture Diagrams included

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by 99Formula, Feb 24, 2013.

1. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Hey guys,

Over the past few days I have just been fiddlin' around with a couple ideas. I'm sure they are probably a little bit overdone, but were fun to come up with regardless.. If any of this doesn't make sense, it's probably because I need to go to sleep.. haha

If you like them, then feel free to use them. Like I said, nothing special, but nonetheless were fun to build. Any feedback/suggestions/criticism that you'd like to leave would be appreciated.

Anyhow, I do actually plan on building this carpet mill. Right now, I'm just trying to get the rest of my measurements corrected to work with my angles, so that I can run the shortest length possible.

[​IMG]

I want to incorporate two mounting points on the front.

The lowest peg would end up making the stationary pivot (rear) at 20*. The minimum height on the front peg would have to be 18" from the 90* angle from the bottom of the frame. Using the center of each mouting point, inside length only, at 49.5". In the drawing, the legs haven't been incorporated.

The highest peg would end up making the pivot mount in the rear at 30*. The minimum height on the front peg would have to be 28.6" from the 90* angle from the bottom of the frame. Same as above, using the 49.5" measurements

As far as the material that I want to use for the frame work, I've been thinking about using 1x1 square tubing, but am not sure of the weight capacity, so I was also considering 1.5 x 1.5 square tubing. From the end of each point of the horizontal running portion of the frame, I've been figuring right around 65" or so, to give a little lead way between the mounting pegs to the back of the roller, and from the back of the roller to the center part of the roller.

I was planning on using 6" PVC as the roller, so that would require 3" to incorporate the radius of the roller.

[​IMG]

Once the frame work has been laid, I am considering a type of smooth particle board type material that has a nice clear finish on it.

I was considering ordering treadmill material, but have been curious as to if it would have a high or low friction coefficient with that particle board.

I realize the width may be quite a lot, but I want it to be able to be used by both of the dogs. I think I measured correctly, using the point on the front of the shoulder/chest as my measuring point.

Jade is 5 years old, roughly 15.5" @ the shoulder and 21.5" shoulder to hindquarters.
    Brutus is 9 months old, roughly 16.25" @ the shoulder and 24" shoulder to hindquarters

I don't plan on building this sucker twice, so I'm just trying to leave enough width/length for Brutus to be able to use once he is old enough to start working.

Anyhow, that's that.. I think it should work out nicely, but who knows.... It'll be a learning experience, that's for sure.

2. JP267

JP267 Banned

looking good, This will help alot of DIY folks.....

3. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Thanks! I'm going to finish figuring out my measurements tonight, and I'll put them up.

I was actually looking at your mill last night and was going to ask what you used for the belting material. I was also going to ask, if whatever belting you were using slid pretty easily on your running board without any snags or dead spots with the dogs weight on it. I didn't see where you had mentioned it, if you even did... I really like the quality of your build! Everything on yours looks well placed and not half assed

4. JP267

JP267 Banned

you got mail...

5. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Great Idea But you can build it out of 2 x 4 and it will last you a very long time if sealed/painted also there is no need to have the belt that wide a 13-15" wide belt is fine

6. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Use Melamine instead of Particle board its much smoother better yet put a thin piece of sheet metal on top it will last a long time and get some graphite spray that will make it run smoother and slicker

7. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Mextra - Thanks! I appreciate the advice. That's exactly what I was talking about (I think) haha.. I just couldn't figure out what the hell it was called! Also, Graphite spray? Where can I come across that? I'm assuming a local hardware type store, such as Lowes or Home Depot?

As far as the width, I was just trying to figure out the best way possible to run a wider frame, since I didn't want it to be super tall and narrow... So you think 15" will be plenty enough? As far as the framing material, I'm a sucker for the metal asthetics.. and I have a close friend who works in a metal shop, so I get a hell of a deal on a 24ft stick of sq. tubing. I think he said somewhere around 10 bucks for the length of it.

8. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

You cant beat 10 buck for the metal go for it , it will look great , yep 15" belt is plenty the mill would only be 18" wide on the outside , You dont need a wide mill , You can get the Graphite spray online . How tall are you planning on it to be ? if ts 49.5 long I would guess around 48" tall ?

9. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Okay - after much thought, consideration, and burned brain cells, I think I've finally come up with some solid measurements.

For the framing I've decided to use 1.5" x 1.5" Sq. Tubing. i'm sure 1" x 1" would be fine, but I had already factored all my math using the 1.5".

The total amount of materials, if I keep the referenced measurements will be:

- 49.25 ' of 1.5" x 1.5" Square Tubing (This includes 10 ft. Extra for any mishaps)

I hope the diagrams are easy to follow...

Basic Frame construction. In these diagrams I forgot to add the cross / support bars that go between each of the running frame rails.
    [​IMG]

This next one , shows how the height adjustments work. Well, theoretically anyhow.. As a side note, I didn't include the top mounted, horizontal cross beams. but they would reflect the outside lengths of the vertical posts. You would also have to figure up how you want your mounting points to look as well.. Anyhow, it's pretty basic, so I hope that it proves useful at some point.
    [​IMG]

10. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Mextra - The 49.5" is the actual useable running length. That length is just to the centers of the mounting points on the vertical posts. There has to be extra to accomodate for the backspacing, the radius of the wheel, and the extra material needed at the ends so that I can incorporate a way to tighten/adjust the rollers.

The secondary reason that I'm making it as long as it is, is because eventually I'm going to try to make it so that the running frame is removeable, and can be swapped out with Angle Iron, to be able to be converted over to a slat mill.. I'm over compensating/engineering, I'm sure, but nonetheless, I think I'll enjoy the challenge.. Not to mention, if my idea is successful then I won't have 2 mills laying around., when I can just swap in "insides".

11. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Ooops - I missed one of your questions. As far as top to bottom height, It should theoretically be no taller than 40"

12. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

You are over thinking this lol the bottom line is you want a functional piece of equipment , I would scrap those High running inclines , You dont need a whole lot of incline for dogs to get a good solid work out you want the movement to be natural . A 4" incline and maybe another at 6" would be fine . As far as swapping the insides You would have to switch out the main rollers and raise the bed up because a slat belt needs to be longer and really it would be a hassle . Just make a working Carpet mill first and Keep it simple , im sure you have been collecting pictures and watching videos you gotta go with whats proven , after you build the first one the you can make improvements on design and incorporate those into the next one you build .

13. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

[video=youtube;Zzu0JO0aXu0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzu0JO0aXu0[/video]
    Look at the incline , Notice the dog is all over the place and falling off the back ? Not good

[video=youtube;_6eqVGH5ObU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6eqVGH5ObU[/video]

Notice how smooth and easy this one is running with a small incline and how the dog can set a pace working

14. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Haha - you hit the nail on the head with that one! I have a ton of downtime at work, so I try to fill that void with whatever I can..

Hmm... Alright- yeah, I had been looking at quite a few videos, but it seems that a ton of people are so touchy about sharing information, that it's hard to gauge what exactly needs to be done.

As far as it doubling as a slat mill, it was just a secondary idea, I still have far too much other crap to take care of before that even goes anywhere.. In regards to having to swap the roller wheels and all of that, that's why I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of material on the end, so that I could swap to an 8" roller. I had also thought of incorporating adjustable legs into the bottom of it. But honestly, like you said, I just need to keep it simple for now, and then improve that way..

I really apprecaite the feedback.. To be honest, I was figuring a 10* incline would have been good, but I do understand what you're saying.. I just need to get the damned material and build this sucker and make minor adjustments as I go along..

15. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Oh wow- Yeah, big difference! So a basic 4" would be fine, and at the most maybe 6"? I know it's not very likely, but do you have any idea what the height is on the front of that second video?

16. JP267

JP267 Banned

Once you build your first mill, you will have a better understanding on how everything works and see any imperfections you might of made, and possibly take all down again just to make correction or improvements, can it be frustrating at times ( yes ) can it be a pain in the ass ( yes ) but after its all said and done and your looking at a piece of equipment that you built with your own two hands thats fully functionial ( man thats Priceless)Dont forget there are people on this forum that will help you along the way, Thats how I got mine done.

17. CR!SIS

CR!SIS Banned

i agree with mextra, that incline is WAY too steep....i would do a 2 1/2 maybe 3'' incline, keep in mind theyre pushing carpet which should be resistance enough, i dont believe the steep incline is needed............

id say these things are perfect....

[video=youtube_share;TMkhlPf4dVQ]http://youtu.be/TMkhlPf4dVQ[/video]

[video=youtube;o7-yZP7NXoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7-yZP7NXoo[/video]

RnA likes this.
  18. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Thanks Cr!sis - I've decided to listen to experience on this one. Tonight, I think I'm just going to head to lowes and get some lumber, build on a small incline like you guys have recommended, and after I complete this one, I can start moving on to move involved builds.

As far as the angles, to be honest, I was just eyeballing what I thought seemed reasonable, but after looking at the videos you guys have provided, I realized that I made a mountain out of a mole hill.. I appreciate everyones input on how to do this the right way, since after all, it isn't me that is going to be running on it..

19. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks really nice. It appears that the frame will be made from material in the same dimension as a 2X4. If you use that the holes to adjust the angles will have to be matched exactly on each end. If you use the back as a pivot and raise the front to adjust angles the front post is not wide enough (if the illustration is scaled). If you are planning to use two sets of holes (front and back) for each desired angle the current width will work just fine. I made one once that was adjustable and this is what I ran into. Looks good. Good luck. US1

20. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Also, the extreme u angle is not that bad of an idea. It will not be a completely smooth run no doubt and it will not have a dog just burning it up. For very short sessions the extreme angle will build a lot of explosion in the dog. One of the first ones I ever saw was one built at that angle with no rollers. It was carpet draped over PVC pipe and sanded plywood was the sliding surface. The dog had to really stretch out and drive this type mill. It was not a smooth gait, it was explosive move after explosive move.
    If you make this mill and it can provide different angles it will be a nice piece of equipment. Good luck. US1