1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Canidae Grain-Free

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by marshall619, Sep 4, 2008.

1. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

2. chewbecca

chewbecca Pup

Meh, 40% protein is a little higher than I like to feed (even though my dog's current food is at 36%, that 4% matters), and I'd LOVE to know what the ash content of the food is.
    Of course, I'm looking at the salmon meal formula. Sometimes peas can make dogs gassy.

Is Canidae now manufactured by Diamond? If so, Taste of the Wild's ingredients look better to me.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I don't know if the Diamond connection has been proven. Some have heard yes, others no. Either way, my dogs are off Canidae now. I think with how we got screwed over, I'm not even interested in trying anything new by them. Back to expensive-ass (but high-quality) Nature's Variety for us.

4. chewbecca

chewbecca Pup

I wish I could feed Ella NV.
    I've wanted to feed that food for a while. But she does poorly on the Instinct Chicken, it gives her the runs.

Right now she's on Wellness Core Ocean, but it's rather expensive, but she does well on it.
    I wish Timberwolf, as a company, didn't suck so much. Changing their ingredients without informing their customers, THEN experiencing buying a bad bag of food that had been recalled, that REALLY set me off.
    I should have KNOWN that when she wouldn't eat it, something was wrong.

5. Marty

Marty Guest

Yep their in partnership with Diamond now...

Our production partnership with Diamond Pet Foods has already surpassed future AAFCO and FDA standards. By meeting the newer pre-process and post-process monitoring guidelines with state of the art equipment and procedures, our partnership has enabled us to produce a safer, higher quality product with specific procedures in place to assure the health and well being of your pet.

Read more here...

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29147

6. Hello all!

I will analyze the new products for your entertainment:

Overall, the new formulas do not impress me. That said, there are good quality ingredients in all. The decision to buy depends on the price per 30lb bag. The grains were replaced by potato (which is a high digestible ingredient). In addition, the caloric content is marginally good and not a big increase from their grained bag.

Salmon Formula:

This formula is very deceiving in its (analysis) percentages and bag name. For example, protein is 40%.......you would think it is 40% Salmon protein. Instead, it is mostly potato protein. You also have to consider the POOR quality fat used......Canola Oil. Specific Animal fat is desired in dog food.

ALS Formula:

The main differences between this and their regular "grained" version are that "Lamb Meal" in grained formula was replaced by "Lamb" (Lamb Meal is better). Also, the Brown Rice, White Rice, Rice Bran, oatmeal, and cracked pearled Barley in "grained' formula was replaced with "Potatoes" in the Grain-free formula. This is a good exchange.

In summary, the new formulas are slightly better than the original formula.

7. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

Thank you all for your input. I'm feeding the new "grained" ALS formula & my dogs are doing ok on it except for the excess shedding & I've never had a shedding problem w/ the old formula. I am now looking into a "grainless" feed & trying to do some research. I am looking towards to either feeding Orijen or Wellness Core. Rocky, can you please analyze these two products as well?:D Thanks bro!

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/orijen/

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_grain_index.html

Mel

8. chewbecca

chewbecca Pup

I've fed both Orijen (the fish formula) and I feed the Core Ocean now.
    I am not Rocky, and I won't break down the ingredients as well, but again, Orijen is a little higher in protein than what I'd like to feed on a consistent basis. That doesn't mean I won't buy a bag here and there to feed her, it's a good food.
    But, my dog is doing VERY well on Core Ocean (along with the addition of Sea Pet fish oil).
    She shines like a black piece of glitter. Her energy is fabulous, and she has relatively NO odor (minus the occasional fritoes foot smell).

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Believe me, we don't feed the Instinct. That's like $60 for a 30-lb bag, and would only be useful if we were hardcore conditioning. We just feed the Prairie formula. :)

10. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

If you look at the ingredients and it says zea mays (common name corn) is in it. So it is not technically grain free. And Orijen has zea mays in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  11. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Never noticed that....thanks for pointing it out!

YIS

12. chewbecca

chewbecca Pup

Holy shit. I didn't know that.
    D'oh.

13. chewbecca

chewbecca Pup

Oh, and Cynthia, I don't know what happened, but you have me quoted at, is not something I said.:D

14. chewbecca

chewbecca Pup

From Orijen's FAQ:
    Q: WHAT IS ZEA MAYS and WHY IS IT IN ORIJEN? A: The Zea Mays in ORIJEN is CORN SILK which is actually classified as an herb or botanical – not a grain. Corn Silk is NOT made from grain but rather from filaments from the flowers of female corn plant. This costly botanical features Maizenic Acid as an active ingredient and is formulated in ORIJEN diets at 300mg/kg. As corn silk does not contain corn starch or corn protein it poses absolutely no risk to dogs that may have corn allergies.
    Corn silk is used to treat urinary tract infections and kidney stones and is regarded as a soothing diuretic useful for any irritation of the urinary system (a common health problem in today’s companion dogs and cats). As corn silk is used as a kidney remedy and in the regulation of fluids, this herb is believed to be helpful in treating high blood pressure and water retention.
    As a well known herbal remedy, corn silk is used to treat urinary conditions in countries including the United Sates, China, Haiti, Turkey, and Trinidad. Furthermore, in China, corn silk as a component in an herbal formula is used to treat diabetes.

Also, a link from another site on it.
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Zea+mays

15. Thank you for adding to my knowledge. I did not know that.

16. Both are good very kibbles but Orijen is slightly better in my opinion. Both have good and not so good ingredients.

Your decision (if you looking to decide between the two) should consider how much you exercise your dog(s). Too much nutrients into a sedative body will make for an upset stomach and a foul-smelling orchestra.

From your statement above, your issue is only with the hair shedding. Your solution might be as simple as supplementing their feed with 3 capsules of natural fish oils per day. You should see a noticeable and touchable improvement within 4 weeks. Therefore, i suggest you research on the best deal for fish oils......I bought a few bottles of 300 capsules @ $9 each. Look into potency and quantity, and price.

A major issue I am noticing with grain-free kibbles is its fiber content. I dog can get constipated.....so be attentive to your dog when emptying.

17. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I understand that however if you call Orijen they tell you it is a vegetable because it is not technically corn (grain form) till it is dehydrated. Which I have called. It is a play on words.

Also if any "All Natural" diet says it is Holistic and does not carry the green seal it is not. I do not feed any of these foods. So it does not affect me in any way. IMO if it walks like a duck it is a duck.

There are tons of dog foods out there. And also Fly by nights as well. Some people chose to feed Ol Roy which is the largest selling brand of dogs food in the country. I think it is a crappy food and I would not feed my animals it. I also feel if something works for you then stick with it. And you are not going to get the same answer if you ask what is the best food to feed. Everyone has an opinion. And what may work on one dog may not work well for another. Also companies try to corner the market which is why we have breed specific food, among other novelty foods.

Zea mays

<TABLE summary="Botanical Information" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Common name:</TD><TD>Sweet corn</TD><TD>Family:</TD><TD>Gramineae</TD></TR><TR><TD>Author:</TD><TD>L.</TD><TD>Botanical references:</TD><TD>200</TD></TR><TR><TD>Synonyms:</TD><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD>Known Hazards:</TD><TD colSpan=3>None known</TD></TR><TR><TD>Range:</TD><TD colSpan=3>Original habitat is obscure, probably S. America or Mexico.</TD></TR><TR><TD>Habitat:</TD><TD colSpan=3>Not known in the wild.</TD></TR><TR><TD>Plants For A Future Rating (1-5):</TD><TD colSpan=3>4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE summary="Information from other sources" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=2>Other Common Names:</TD><TD colSpan=3>From various places around the Web, may not be correct. See below.</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>Ble De Turquie [E], Corn [E,B,L,P], Corn Silk [H], Dari [E], Ganma Sham [E], Indian Corn [H], Jagong [E], Jagung [E], Mais [E], Mais Vert [E], Maiz [E], Maize [H], Misir [E], Oswego Arrowroot [H], Thurah Safrah [E], Yu Kao Liang [E], Yu Shu Shu [E], </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top rowSpan=2>Other Range Info:</TD><TD colSpan=3>From the Ethnobotany Database</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>China; Dominican Republic; Haiti; India(Santal); Iraq; Japan; Java; Kurdistan; Malaya; Peru; Spain; Trinidad; Turkey; Us; Us(Rappahannock); Venezuela </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Physical Characteristics

Annual growing to 2m at a fast rate. It is hardy to zone 9 and is frost tender. It is in flower from July to October, and the seeds ripen from September to October. The flowers are monoecious (individual flowers are either male or female, but both sexes can be found on the same plant) and are pollinated by Wind. We rate it 4 out of 5 for usefulness.
    The plant prefers light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils and requires well-drained soil. The plant prefers acid and neutral soils. It cannot grow in the shade. It requires moist soil.
    Habitats and Possible Locations

Cultivated Beds.
    Edible Uses

Coffee; Oil; Pollen; Seed; Stem.
    Seed - raw or cooked. Corn is one of the most commonly grown foods in the world. The seed can be eaten raw or cooked before it is fully ripe[1, 2, 33, 34] and there are varieties especially developed for this purpose (the sweet corns) that have very sweet seeds and are delicious[183, K]. The mature seed can be dried and used whole or ground into a flour. It has a very mild flavour and is used especially as a thickening agent in foods such as custards[183]. The starch is often extracted from the grain and used in making confectionery, noodles etc[183]. The dried seed of certain varieties can be heated in an oven when they burst to make 'Popcorn'[183]. The seed can also be sprouted and used in making uncooked breads and cereals[183]. A nutritional analysis is available[218].

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  18. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

LOL my fault. Corrected

19. WWII

WWII Banned

20. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

FEED RAW........NUFF SAID :rolleyes::D