1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Building a slatmill

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by bukskin.banks, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

A mill is only going to be so effective no matter the amount of turns. I wouldn't get too worked up over seeing how many turns your mill can get. As long as it spins freely and the dog can turn the belt will relative ease the dog will get a good workout.

2. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

So theres light at the end of the tunnel ^ LOL I'm going to finish it probably on lunch then i'll take a vid. If it gets two spins i'll be happy lol.

3. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Well you can work towards 3-4-5 but 10 is overkill I think but hey to each there own.

4. HF-Mills

HF-Mills Pup

When sombody Will train Only for muscle.
    Than freeturns not important!!!

When u Only want condition en air to train
    Than freeturns are very important

So Its very important for à special club of people.

Yes for me important,when i want i Mill Whit Only
    2 or 3 turns i buy à Mill for €500,- And ready.

Explain too me wy à lot of people want THE killerspinner
    From rpm?
    10 turns not important u say!!

For u maby not,for me very important

5. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

some mills who don't spin as free with no dog on it, run just as free as a mill that makes 10 spins when theres a dog running on it
    but one who makes 1-2 free turns obviously won't
    u mention the killerspinner from RP, they explain it on their website, very simple. the less effort a dog needs to make to turn the mill the more time to spend condition the lungs

one of their methods is using very thin light slats, and because they are a bit more vulnerable, they put ducktape on the slats to prevent damage. good solution imo

6. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Your mill can turn a hundred times with one good push on the belt. But my main point stands. Which is a dog is only going to turn that mill at a certain pace for only so long. 6sN7s makes a good point in that a mill will usually spin better with a dog on it. And if I am not mistaken as long as a mill is free spinning the dog will get a good cardiovascular workout. Then one can add a little resistance for muscle building by installing a tensioner or a brake for resistance.

7. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

That true, i guess there can be too many free spins cause the dog is only going to run at a certain pace. My other belt will have wider slats, prob thinner, less hardware, lighter. Will post a vid after i get this one tight. And i did notice that, when i put some weight on my hand and push, it doesnt take that much effort so with a dog same concept.

8. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

not all mills mistabonz. most of the standard slat mills on the market are just fine for a balanced work out, for muscle building id go for a carpet mill. if you want to measure the resistance on a mill try to install a speedometer and see how fast they can go full speed ;)
    i've ordered a dogtrotter medium pro last year, guess what. 3 dogs couldnt do more then 21 km ph full speed.(thats when new) hows that for resistance when you're trying to condition the lungs.

9. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

Banks' does frisbee so that def his running or i run with him, i'd be happy if he can just get a decent walking pace on this mill with fairly low resistance so he can hold that pace for a while.

10. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

I have a speedo and a brake on mine and I can tell a substantial difference in types of workouts as well the results by using them.

11. pig mad

pig mad Banned

21km/hr is a fair pace anyway.I run my dog around the bush and he looks to be running hard and he is doing 20km/hr. I am nearly finished making my first mill waiting for a mate to finish his deck so i can pinch the off cuts..

12. pig mad

pig mad Banned

I would be happy as long as my dog can do something on it i have never seen a mill made it purely off internet pictures so if it works like a carpet mill will be better than having to throw away hahahaha.... I put locking caster wheels off a hospital bed on 1 side so 1 person can move it and adjustable feet on the other for incline..

13. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Sounds good pigmat

14. kingfish2

kingfish2 Pup

good website for the go cart hubs. But where would I find the aluminum skate wheels for a cheap price. I dont want to use inline skate wheels, because they cost to much.

15. pig mad

pig mad Banned

16. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

So i tighten up the carriage bolts and ligned shit up. So wider slats with sunk in allen bolts would be the way to go. Belt is way to heavy, going to maybe try to take a slat or two out to see if it'll get more spins. Check it out. Sorry for the vid but no one to hold the camera. Still with one push not even a spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RhgkSQWfnE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

17. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Looks like alignment issues.

18. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Banks i dont know if you have done this or notbut the main wheels bearings need to be oiled/greased through the zerk fitting on the hub . Take the belt of and unscrew the zerk fitting and pour oil or if you have grease gun pump grease in the hub . It should move a bit easier then also give the skate wheels a little lube shot while the belt is off and spin them you will see and hear the difference .

19. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

That's a good idea ^. I also am switching all of my huge 3/8 carriage to 5/16 galvanized. I weighed and will cut 7 to 8 lbs. The only thing is it seems if I grease my wheels it just will fill between the axle (which is allthread) and the inside of the wheel. Which is were its spinning. Ill post vids tomorrow if u need them.

20. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

Oh ya, my belt weighs fucking 46 lbs. Going to be closer to 38 now. I'll check the greasing situation and double check alignment and wont fully secure slats to the belt untill its on the mill and aligned then i'll hit all nuts with a impact and sinch em up. The wheels seem to run more free with it kinda "free spinning" on the allthread vs. the bearings. And the grease fitting like i said looks like it just goes all the way through to fill between the inner of the wheel and the allthread.