1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Building a slatmill

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by bukskin.banks, Aug 14, 2011.

1. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

Well def. thanks to topbox for a little help, i've decide to make a slatmill too. Mine is gonna be outa wood though. I don't have a welder and have no one to count on to weld for me. So i've cut the slats and show how the frame is going to stand for the most part. Then a couple pics how i'm going to secure the fram together. I'll post more pics after it's together sanded up flush and stained and polyurethane coating.

IMG_0943.jpg IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0945.jpg IMG_0954.jpg IMG_0955.jpg

2. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Looking Good Buk!

3. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

im listening.........lol

4. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Hard to believe you're in such a remote place that you cant find a welder. lol

5. Nash

Nash Big Dog

And another one ! Good luck !

6. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

i am a joiner and i made a one years ago out of wood with mortice and tenon joints .it looks like yours are just but jointed ,glued and screwed ?...to be honest i think a heavy dog will eventually loosen the joints...i think steel is the best option and as i could not weld i payed someone at a steel fabrication to make the frames up for me ....good luck with it though .

7. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

if i really tried i guess i could try to find a welder or pay to have it welded and find the metal square tubing but i'm trying something different. And it's glued, screwed, lagged, and corner bracing that you can't see all of it till it's put together, then when it's all tied together i don't think it's going to shake loose anytime soon but if it does then i'll go metal. i also wanted to go with wood so i could have a real heavy frame. if i keep tryin maybe it'll be as nice as top box's!! haha

8. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Ill try to get a pic of my carpetmill on here...its wood frame and strong as hell...its been in use for about 7 or 8 years and the only thing that doesnt keep up on it is the carpet...Looks like you are starting it off right Buk so i bet u have success with it! Ive always wanted to build a slatmill out of a baby crib since my son was born but looks like now the crib is going back to use with another little one on the way! :)

9. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

[​IMG]

Heres the ole trusty carpetmill...Still hard to beat!!

10. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

very nice topbox. gives me some hope haha. I sanded down the main sides, just need to screw/bolt up the side boards that the wheels are going to mount too, sand that, stain it an put some laquer or somethin on all of it. Going to update pics after i get the whole frame bolted/screwed together before i stain it.

11. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

good luck bb.

nice TopBox

12. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

IMG_0964.jpg IMG_0965.jpg

So i have it sanded and in these pics its laying on its side. after i bolt the rails to the frame which i'll show how i do next, it'll pretty much just stand up from there. Today is my day of so making some progress. Anyone have an opinion if i should go a dark stain or light? I'm prob not going to stain the slats though, just barely sand them so it gets the splinters out and maintains max grip.

13. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Looking good Buk! I think its going to work well for ya....Id go medium stain with the natural slats

14. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

IMG_0967.jpg IMG_0966.jpg

so i got most the side up for the most part. the 2x2 will go onto that wich will hold the wheels and the slats up. i'll keep trying to make progress so i can keep yall posted haha if you have ne questions just ask

15. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

http://slatmill.wordpress.com/ Check this site out a Member here Caine25 put it together and he also made a slatmill out of Wood it should help you out

16. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Thanks for the link Mextra.

17. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

ya that sites alright. i emailed them and got one reply that didnt really do me any good. but once you got the measurments and how to cut everything, there's a hundred ways to make the damn thing haha so i'm just going to try to make it the best way i thnk it can be done haha. i'm also going to put adjustable legs onthe bottom so i can level it out no matter what ground it stands on.

18. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Thats the way to do it Buk! your headed the right direction

19. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

IMG_0969.jpg IMG_0970.jpg IMG_0971.jpg IMG_0968.jpg

Not too bad on the level for wood haha. I have to recut the width so the slats fit in haha. As long as its really close i'm going to get some adjustable legs so i can level it out better. With it sitting like this you can kind of see how its going to plan together. I'm going to put two bigger bolts all the way through that 2x2 and 3 bigger bolts holding the wheel rail to the 2x2 since that will be holding the dog, i dont just wana use screws haha.

20. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

it's comin together good.