1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Buck ate Andro

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by tommy3, Feb 13, 2006.

1. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I went to a class yesterday and left my dog with my dad and he ensured me that he would watch him. Nevertheless, he didn't. He left my closet door open, didn't watch him and let him get ahold of some cleansing tablets and a bottle of Andro. For those that don't know, Andro is a legal anabolic steroid that is taken orally.
    I got home and found the bottles and pills laying all over the floor. Boy, was I pissed. The main ingredient of the cleansing tablets was grape skin powder. Grapes are toxic to dogs. So, I was pretty much in a panic so I gave buck some hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. In the vomit was all kinds of trash. Obviously, my dad did a great job watching him. :rolleyes:
    Well, after he vomited I called the Georgia Animal Poison Control. The number is (404) 616-9000 and the help they offered was free.
    She ensured me that the grape skin powder would not be a problem and that it is actually given to dogs in various health supplements. She then looked up Andro in her database and told me that it would cause extreme aggression... She then asked me what kind of dog he was and when I told her, she kind of freaked out and told me that I need to keep my dog in a cage and that she didn't want to hear about me being attacked on the news.
    Well, I laughed at her and thanked her for the help. I told her that he will not stay in the cage and I am not concerned with him biting me.
    Buck is more annoying than usual but everything is fine. We just got done with a wrestling match. (He hates the torture rack).

The lesson is, nobody cares about your dogs like you do. Don't expect others to watch them and take care of them like you would. If you can't watch them, make sure that the person watching them will not half ass it. Chances are, if it isn't their dog, they won't watch it like it is their dog.
    By now on, NOBODY is allowed to "watch" my dog except me. Lesson learned. Thank God it didn't cost my dog's life.
    Everyone, please do not make the same mistake.

SFK likes this.
  2. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I'm glad your dog is alright. I can hear the headlines now "Pitbull on 'Roid rage destroys city block, Volkwagen missing in aftermath"...LMAO

3. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

Glad your dog has an owner like you! and more importantly that he is doing good. funny Crash:)

4. lil_bit807

lil_bit807 Big Dog

Great post. It should serve as a lesson learned to everybody. Glad to hear you pup is going to be OK.

5. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

" I can hear the headlines now "Pitbull on 'Roid rage destroys city block, Volkwagen missing in aftermath"...LMAO"

Now that was funny!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

+1

Nobody, and I mean nobody is fully trusted with my dogs. I've let very few people even be in the same house as my dogs while I'm gone, and that is asking alot of me. If I'm gone, the dogs are safer on their chain or in a kennel than running around the house getting into things they shouldnt be (as witnessed by your situation). The reason for securing them and not allowing people in the house is...I've seen dogs secured and the second the owner leaves the "friends" think the dog needs to be allowed to run loose. Good post Tommy.

7. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Thanks.
    and that is funny as hell crash.

8. tnob

tnob Big Dog

ANdro is legal? I thought the ban went into effect Jan. 1 2005?

9. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Did it? I bought it a while back and I never finished the bottle. I guess it was before January 05.

10. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I'm glad Buck is doing ok. Unfortunately shit happens & it's best to be prepared in these types of cases, which you were tommy, & have poison control numbers on hand as well as those to an emergency vet clinic that you trust.

This past Halloween while I was at work, my husband didn't pay attention to Wrigley who helped himself to not just a lot of chocolate (9 candy bars including Snickers, Hershey's, & Kit-Kats, but also 2 bags of peanut M&Ms) but also tore open his bag of dog food & ate only God knows how much. 50 mL of hydrogen peroxide later & being tubed helped him to vomit it all up (we were more worried about bloat than toxicity). He then finished off his meal with 40mLs of Toxiban (activated charcoal). Gotta love them dogs.

11. the_flamingo

the_flamingo Top Dog

Glad to hear Buck is ok. :) Gotta keep those numbers handy just in case!

12. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Yeah, poison control numbers can be very helpful. I think everyone should keep it on hand just in case. You never know when you might need it.

I'm glad Wrigley turned out alright.

japangame likes this.
  13. davidlau_2002

davidlau_2002 Top Dog

how much hydrogen peroxide per lb. should you give the dog to induce vomiting? my boy just ate a tennis ball. sheesh. any help will be appreciated.

14. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

if u think he ate it in little pieces,oppose to big hunks,,it will probably come out the other end,,I am not sure that I would go through the trouble of having him throw it back up,,I would certainly watch for intestinal blockage,,I wouldn't think a tennis ball would show up on an xray,,,,Suki posted (i believe) about the correct dosage for that.

15. japangame

japangame Big Dog

Well, Im supper happy that Buck is doing just fine, and I think that this was one of the best lessons in life for anyone who isn't knowlegable about the breed and you brought it to there attention. We are all victims to our friends and family's idiosity and disregaurd. You are an awsome and respectable owner and its good to have people out there that have an understanding such as yourself.

Rep points for this one.

No one will put have the effort into your dog as you will put.