1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breeding Too Young

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ohpitbulls, Jan 11, 2011.

1. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Too dense to recognize illogcial anthropomorphic dumbshit when I see it? OKm,....I see. Well, ok, why don't you explain the prerequisite canine mental maturity to lil' ole dense me.

2. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Actually, from what I've seen, that is usually a problem when the first-time mothers are older dogs,...not the other way around.

3. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Don't try to play dumb,your intelligent enough to know what the fuck i was saying.No need to try and imply that i was saying the dog would have mother them for 18 years.In my personal opinion,whether it differs from your's or not,a young bitch is more likely than a mature bitch,to refuse the pups and/or not feed them.Maybe eat them.

4. nobody

nobody Banned

your to dense to smell sarcastic humor :D
    I found it funny as hell what he said, you know he is right :rolleyes:.

From the dogs nature standard, yes indeed from the first time she is in heat she is ready to have a litter.
    However when i stated not the recommended age, i meant about looking at a dogs potentials.
    My personal experience showed me that young gyps who are first time mothers are more gentle and care giving as a 4/5 year old gyp that has her first litter jmo

5. Jeep/Redboy

Jeep/Redboy Big Dog

I haven't had them come in 4 months after the birth, but definitely have seen it 4 months after the pups are weaned, which I guess would be closer to about 5 months or so from the whelping date. I've had that happen on my yard. Yea, if you can dig that study up I would like to see it. Not questioning it, but on the surface it doesn't seem to make sense. What was some of the reasoning behind them making that conclusion? I agree with you that breeding early is not a physical issue in most cases unless you had a bitch go into heat at an exceptionally young age. I think it depends on the dog too. I've had 8 month olds appear physically mature, while others I would hesitate to breed because they still have much more of a puppy look. I'm with everybody else that breeding early is more of a mental issue. Such as the mom not being mature enough to properly care for the puppies, or want to for that matter.

6. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

I believe that you have your experiences twisted here. From what I've seen, it is usually the "mature" bitches that start having pups older in life that have the problems you describe....not the young ones.

It's about instinct not maturity. There is probably some well-studied scientific reason why canids who start older have more whlping problems than those who start young, but I'm not going to pretend to know it. However, it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  7. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

But again, with that said, I'm not suggesting that anyone go out and breed their puppy. If we don't strike a balance between breed/population responsibility and breeding good dogs in the right time we're lost either way.

8. nobody

nobody Banned

Also had 2 bitches in the past that at the time the pups were 4/4,5 months old the bitches were in heat again

9. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

I'm to dense to smell sarcastic humor huh.You might wanna sniff a little harder yourself, because when i called him dense, i was being sarcastic, genius.I have read some of his previous post in other threads, and why i would say he is a stickler for a argument, (or a "debate" if you will), i would say he is far from dense.

P.S when i called you a genius i was being sarcastic.

10. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Well highcoast,everybody has there opinion's.And to be honest i haven't seen that many dogs bred under 2 years old ( i try not to associate myself with those types).But i have seen it a few times, and from what ive seen young bitches make worse mothers.Maybe it was just the bitch's.But i do know of one bitch who had a litter at a young age, and she ate everyone of them.The dog was bred again a couple heats down the road,and she didn't eat not one of them.?

11. Yeah so that's 6 or 7 months from when she came into heat the last time LOL It took 63 days of pregnancy plus 4 to 5 months ;)

12. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Just out of curiousity....what is the difference between breeding a bitch on her first heat and breeding a 5 year old unproven dog? Neither of them have shown to be worth breeding......Physically it will be easier on the young bitch than on the older one.

13. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

At the end of the day this is what it should be all about...

14. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

I got a ?.....I was reading where somebody said that it would be unhealthy if u keep breeding a dog that comes into heat....how so??...I mean don't wolves breed everytime they come in heat??....Or do wolves have cycles likes dogs?...if they do I'm pretty sure they are getting stuck every cycle...just wanted to ask that ?

15. Jeep/Redboy

Jeep/Redboy Big Dog

You've got a point Crushbones. They are probably gonna do it, but it doesn't mean it's good for them. I'm sure that issue would fall among a number of other reasons why animals in captivity tend to live longer than those in the wild.

16. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

If it wasn't good for them wouldn't you think that they would go longer periods of time before another heat, its how they are designed. What are the cons or breeding back to back?

See i think the other thing is i am very sheltered in regards to the millions of homeless dogs due to over breeding as im in NZ and there is no serious problem at this end, apart from the IDIOTS breeding unknown dogs and selling them Bluenose Pure colby dogs. I see the controversy with breeding un proven dogs, but we wouldnt have our dogs today if it wasnt for those unproven and cur dogs being bred.

17. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

From Wikipedia...
    "Captive wolves have been known to breed as soon as they reach 9–10 months, while the youngest recorded breeding wolves in the wild were 2 years old. Females are capable of producing pups every year, with one litter annually being the average."

So, yes, wolves are typically bred back to back but unlike dogs this is every year not every six months.

18. AGame

AGame CH Dog

very valid point my friend

19. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

I was really just trying to play the Devil's Advocate. But, I would have to honestly say that I would much rather see certain dogmen breeding a bitch on her first heat, than all the petbull owners in the world breeding their dogs at any age. Age should not be the soul guiding principle as to whether a dog is bred or not. As a general rule there is no good reason to breed a bitch on her first heat. In fact, there is no good reason to breed 99% of the pitbulls in the world. But, if a man has bred and worked with a solid line of dogs for 10-20 years and knows his blood he has the right to make an exception. People worry too much about what other people are doing with their dogs and not enough about what is going on in their own yards.

20. LuvMyBulldogs

LuvMyBulldogs Big Dog

Totally agree, too many breeders, not enough sportsman....