1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breeding Theory

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Chainlyf, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Chainlyf

Chainlyf Pup

What is the proper way to breed a line of dogs? I have bred gamecocks and I was wondering if its pretty much the same? I tend to do linebreeding, but I heard that if you do that with dogs they get a little taller. Is that true? What should I look for?

Thank you.

2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I think it depends on the line your using. In linebreeding, you must use the best to the best and weed out any traits you do not want.

I have seen dogs get both bigger and smaller..but again, alot depends on the dogs you're using. Remember, when you breed a large dog to a small dog you wont get medium pups. you'll get a mixture of large and small.

Also..the tighter the line gets the more chances you'll have for exaggerated traits.. thats why its important to cull and use only the traits you are looking for. I've also heard (and seen) that by line breeding you sometimes lose ability.. not gameness.

I think in all, however, line breeding helps preserve those traits you want and if done right, produces solid dogs..

3. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

You Said It All Bro

4. Chainlyf

Chainlyf Pup

Thank you for the information RockSteady. I really appreciate it.

5. sir, which is the best thing to do, linebreeding or inbreeding? tnx

6. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

There is no such thing as ''best", both methods have given both good and bad results. Whoever told you that linebreeding tends to result in taller dogs has no clue on the matter. You must remember these dogs are bred for performance not looks, so in a certain litter you may get both tall and short dogs. It has nothing to do with the method of breeding(linebreeding,inbreeding or outcrossing). If you are breeding from proven dogs you shouldn't be worrying about this.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2004