1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

break stick ?

Discussion in 'R.I.P.' started by short1, Sep 11, 2007.

1. short1

short1 Big Dog

this is where I get a little ticked why is it that some pet bull people come here to learn yet refuse to learn!
    I know miak lost her dog how horrible is that but hasnt it been said time and time again that if you own a bulldog you should have a breaking stick and know how to use ! she could have had her dog off the other dog in about 10 sec maybe a little longer if she never used one before , and more then likely that lab or what ever it was would have had enough and ran home tail between it legs so here I pose the question how many people walk there dogs yet dont have one ,have one but dont have a clue how to use it , or think they would never need one because there dogs is so nice and would never fight with another dog

2. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

not trying to justify anything here, and I might be remembering the wrong thing...

but I thought I remember Mia talking about how she does own a break stick, and how she had put them up, because people who see a break stick immediately think "dog fighter". I also if I remember correctly, Mia does know how to use one. Not quite sure why she didn't have it on her that day, but I am sure we don't have to point it out to her. I am sure there are many parts of that day, that she thinks "what if I..." or "I should have..." all on her own. She doesn't need us jumping on her as well....

3. EDOGZ818

EDOGZ818 Big Dog

C'mon, you gonna use a stick with a cur? Thats like rule #1. You'll get bit. Alone with 1 stick? The cur was like 20 -40lbs over. ( I think) You need two sticks, two people, and two game pits who aren't going fo bite you. 10 secs., not in that scenario. In fact I think the lab let go and redirected its attack. Who should the stick be used on? Her leashed dog? The blame lies with the unleashed owner. Besides, where can you go to learn how to use a stick? Let alone practice? A hide? Springpole? I think you are being a little harsh.

None the less, the stick makes a tuff job a lot easier. It is a must for all APBT owners. It should be affixed to the leash.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Your right, a break stick is a must have tool. I've got several (thanks to SFK). And who's to say I didn't have one with me? Did I use it? No. Did I have a chance? No. I'm not into this whole crap of having to defend myself. I've stated what has happened and it's done....over.....nothing to do about it now. I tried my damndest to get some help in breaking the dogs apart the RIGHT way. We were trying to get a leash on the other dogs collar so we could then pull the dogs apart to where they would be taught and then get them apart from there. But someone with a gun chose a different route despite my pleas and others arguments.

Break sticks are great at getting bulldogs apart if you have one person per dog to do so. They are great at getting dogs off hogs. But if you have 1 person and 1 break sticks and 2 dogs, you are fighting an uphill battle. Whooptee doo if you get one dog to let go of the other, the other still has ahold of that dog in your hands and as soon as you let go of that one to try and get to the other one that dog will jump right back in the middle of things.

And like in my case, who uses a break stick on a 100 lb mutt that has already shown a propensity for turning and biting/redirecting on the human? No one in their right mind that's for sure.

I admit that a breakstick would've worked getting Mia off the other dog.........provided the other dog was restrained in some manner & they could be handled safely and provided that their was a way to get the other dog to let go of Mia. Sadly, people react to fast and with too much emotion to think something through rationally. Even though there was an almost 60lb weight difference b/n the dogs, neither would've died in 15 minutes or even 30 minutes. So to have taken the time to do things the right way would've ended in each owner taking their dog home that night. But it didn't happen that way and I can't sit here and cry for the rest of my life. But what I can do is fight to enact a leash law in my area. I can do my best to educate others. And I can learn from my mistakes (although in this case according to most people my mistake was deciding to have a human child which thus interferes in my being able to "properly" raise and walk a bulldog..........).

Back to the break sticks, I believe there is a video on youtube.com depicting the proper way to use a break stick. There is also an article on another forum that is very informative and I will go see if I can crosspost it here. And I agree that every bulldog owner should have one and know how to use it. This means grab the nearest dog and practice.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

What is a break stick
    A break stick is a device made to be inserted in the mouth of a pit bull (behind the molars) to gently pry open and release its grip on an object or another animal. This is a safety item every pit bull owner should possess.

Why Every Responsible Pit Bull Owner needs a Break Stick
    Because the pit bull has been bred for their fighting abilities, they can inflict serious injury to other dogs if the fight is not broken up quickly and efficiently. Even the most well-behaved pit bull could potentially fight one day. A break stick can easily help you get the pit bull to release another dog. This, in no way, means the pit bull has "locking jaws". That is a myth. Pit Bulls have the tenacity to hold on, and the break stick gives the owner the ability to get the dog's jaws open. Keep in mind that most dogs fight differently than pit bulls. The pit bull will get a solid grip and then hold and shake. The break stick has been designed to break their grip.

How to use the Break Stick
    Insert the break stick behind the molars where the gap is found. Turn the break stick. The turning action should open the dog's jaws enough so you can pull the dog back by the collar.

Dos and Don'ts of break sticks
    Please do not attempt to use a break stick on other breeds of dogs. Other breeds, when in a fight, will usually do alot of snapping and biting instead of getting a solid grip.

Try to practice and get comfortable with the break stick before you actually will need to use it.

Keep in mind the limitations of the break stick and have alternative methods at your disposal.

Thank you and please be responsible!

6. EDOGZ818

EDOGZ818 Big Dog

How to use the Break Stick
    Insert the break stick behind the molars where the gap is found. Turn the break stick. The turning action should open the dog's jaws enough so you can pull the dog back by the collar.

One more thing. Secure the dog the stick is being used on. Straddle the dog with your legs. Squeeze them around the lower portion of the body. The back legs are essentially the drive train. Strength come from the rear legs. (shaking / tugging) You want to immobilize the back legs to prevent the dogs from moving/turning to avoid the stick. Grab the subject dog by the scruff of the neck. ( Back of neck) then insert the angled end between the opening in the rear of mouth. ( molars) If the dog has hold of another dog, there will generally be a space. In the instances where an exceptionaly hard biting dog leaves little room for a stick, try to work it in when the dog changes position or holds. Stick should be made of good wood (IE: cocobola), plastic or fiberglass. Not metal, as it may hurt the dog and break teeth. It should be angled like a door stop. ( Hammer handles break) The twist is the key.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  7. short1

short1 Big Dog

and just so you know this was not a slam at you I just used u as an example I just thought I remember you writing that mia got ahold of the dog and you could not get her off so I assumed you didnt have a stick on you or didnt use it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I totally understand. It's true that I couldn't get Mia off safely as we could not get ahold of the other dog. Was I in panic mode? Yes, I do admit it. But I was trying to comprehend what was going on and trying to make sure my son was safe and to get the other owner to get his behind out his house and get his dog. I had already been bitten. No one else wanted or deserved the same fate. If I could've gotten the other owner to get ahold of his dog, then we would've stood a chance. But it didn't happen that way. However, if me being used as an example can save someone else's dog from harm, then I'm all for it.

And edogz, that was a nice addition you posted. :)

9. EDOGZ818

EDOGZ818 Big Dog

Thanks, just trying to help.

10. Michele

Michele Guest

May I take your addition and crosspost please?

11. EDOGZ818

EDOGZ818 Big Dog

B.O.C.

(But Of Course)