1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

boar hunting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by prpitdawg, Aug 17, 2009.

1. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

someone just told me that they are going to let us boar hunt in west tn this coming season. i searched around and the only place that i find is in east tn. trying to find out if there's any truth to this. or have i gotten all excited for nothing. asked a coon hunting buddy, but he says as far as he knows, it's still illegal to use dogs in tn. any info?

2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I figured you could do it any way you want.The Conservation Department lets us hunt pigs whatever way we want to in Missouri.They just want rid of them.

3. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

we can't even kill snakes or buzzards here w/o getting our a$$ in a jam. so i wanted to make sure i could use my dogs here before i get caught doing it and they pitch a fit. on the plus side, missouri is alot closer than alabama so maybe we can make a trip up that way.

4. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

There's no limit here,you can spotlight on private property as far as I know.I'm not sure how heavily populated they are here,but there's a few.My cousin got one the other day.But as far as I know the regulations in Missouri and Arkansas aren't bad.

5. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

if you happen to know anyone that leases property for hunting please shoot me a pm. i don't know a whole lot of people in missouri or arkansas but it would be nice to bag one or two. if i have to wait til next year i can, but it would be cool if i could find a spot ahead of time. thanks gh

6. lrk

lrk Big Dog

I would like some info on how you guys train your dogs to hunt boar. I am a coonhunter but never done the boar hunting which to my knowledge there are none in my area?? But would love to go on a hunt and try it and the dogs are a must I love hunting with dogs. And to catch boars with them or see them caught would be a real treat.

7. I've always been jealous of the folks who are able to go hog dogging. No wild hogs around where I live - my family hunts deer. However, deer aren't really an animal that you need a catch dog for! :D

I know a lot of people train their catch dogs in a pen with a smaller juvie boar. A full grown boar is a monster, don't want to just set your dog loose with one of them when they are green!

8. BA08/15

BA08/15 Big Dog

well, you could get a sighthound for this type of hunting (for ex. a staghound or a borzoi) ;)

9. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

get w/ someone who knows the ins and outs. a friend of ours hunts everything (that's legal to hunt). so whenever i need something i just ask him. learning while doing is the best way, i think.

10. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

yes full grown boar are no joke. my stepdad got gored once. i laughed my tail off. but i didn't care for my stepdad. it was nasty though. you could see everything, he still has a nasty scar.

11. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Sure thing.If I hear of anyone wanting to lease some land I'll let you know.My cousin hunts quite a bit on the government land(Mark Twain National Forest),it's free and there's a few good ones running around.

12. SlaughterHouse

SlaughterHouse Big Dog

For the most part feral hogs are what most people hunt. They are considered a threat to the farmers crops as well as to the native species of wildlife. Here in NC there are no ristrictions on hunting them, and I have used bulldogs to catch them. You are best to check with the local laws in the area you will be hunting.
    I have trained a few of my bulldogs to catch feral hogs and find it a good "legal way" to test the grit and heart of a bulldog. My main stud caught his first feral pig at 4 months of age. It was a young pig about 55 lbs, but my male was only 20 lbs. I have a daughter of his that caught her first pig last month when she was 5 months, and that pig weighed 95 lbs.

13. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

thanks. i can't get a straight answer as to whether or not they are going to start letting us use dogs this way. here huntin in state parks is a no no. of course this is a state where it's illegal to kill snakes. so it's bass ackwards anyway.

14. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

got any pics?

15. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I didn't figure anybody would care if someone killed snakes,that's just odd.I don't kill them if their not poison,but if I see a poisonous snake around the house,it's a dead snake.

16. KADO

KADO Pup

Come to Georgia, hog doggin is almost as big as college football!

17. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

yup no matter what kind of snake it's illegal. there's a site dedicated to the snakes in tn and they give the rundown about what exactly is illegal. http://www.tennsnakes.org/
    you can't kill a snake. you can't remove it from the wild. you can't even trap it in your yard with the intention of keeping it from going back to the wild.:rolleyes: this guy about an hour or so from here found out about killing snakes the hard way. he killed a 5 or 6ft cottonmouth, i think it was, everyone got the pix message (including the game warden). needless to say the guy got into a whole lot of trouble. there's all kinds of crazy laws. that's why i wanted to be absolutely sure before i told my buddies it was cool to bring them. i just can't get a good yes or no, it's all a bunch of gray. too many treehuggers running the show here i guess.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009