1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Blue Colored Pits

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by blueboy08, Jan 13, 2009.

1. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

Now as u may kno i own a 18month old blue colored pit. he is a house dog even tho i do work him out, running hand walking flirt pole ect... my main question is why are blue colored pits lacking of gameness ? i know there are many breeders that breed these fat hog looking blues but thats not where mine came from. i am only calling him a blue pit for lack of a better name lol. also i am not to concerned about his gameness as he is a house dog and is a valued friend/ running buddy. also is there a chance that he will become more agressiove soon ive read on a few post around 2 or 3 years old the begin showing their true person ?

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I think they lack (most anyways) gameness because they wern't being breed for ability but more for there coloring, it's sort of like what akc has done to many breeds of dogs, make them very attractive, yet useless dogs that can't do the job it was bred to do and full of health problems because of it (By the way I am only refering to A.P.B.T's not amstaffs or staffies). I feel the majority of the people who own blues feel they want to breed their dogs for the color of the dog rather then doing what should be done, breed best to best (and that dosen't mean best color to best color). As for the aggression question, it just all depends on the individual dog, some turn on younger then a year old, others stay ice cold their whole lives. Males tend to turn on earlier then females in a general sense (isn't that just like us humans....lol) :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

most dogs dont "turn on' until they reach maturity, and that can happen anywhere from 18 months to 3 years of age, so yes-there is a good chance that your dog can start showing signs of DA later on in life
    "why are blue pits lacking gameness?" you ask, the same reason black, buckskin, brindle, red, etc ,etc, etc lack gameness- not every dog is game.
    you have no idea if your dog is game unless you get him down and he comes back from it, otherwise you are talking about drive. som edogs are drivey, some dogs are lazy-no matter WHAT color they are.

4. AGK

True rally, but I can name many many brindles, reds, blacks and buckskin color dogs that were winners, I personally can't think of many, matter of fact, I don't think I could name one good winning blue pit. I personally like the color just wouldn't feed one myself based on there are no greats that were blue that I am aware of. I dont really believe the color of the dog has anything to do with the dogs drive, curs come in all colors, however as mentioned before they just arn't out there in large numbers winning.

5. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Also remember that there is a difference between aggressiveness and game. If your dog isn't sggressive behappy then you can take him places and things like that. Sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for(not saying you did) I can't take Hemi anywhere he is nutty. lol. But like RR said some dogs don't turn on til later on in life. Though he might not be aggressive I am sure that he is well armed to protect you and your family. Good luck with him...BC

6. AGK

I failed to mention that, (getting gameness mixed up with aggression) thanks hemi....

7. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

As i said before honestly some might not like this but im not to worried about his gameness i live in the city and dont hog hunt imma yankee lol... agressivness isnt a concern to me either... there are alot of people in Philadelphia that think by having a pit it make you tough... thats not the case with me... now my dog like i said is a little bigger than an average APBT and there are alot of other dogs in my neighborhood... im afraid that if another dog comes into my yard he will seriously hurt it... even tho he is very gentle to myself and my family lil ones ect...

8. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

for example a couple doors down there is a chow chow that broke into a yard and bit another dog i think a American Eskimo... really messed the little dog up...

9. AGK

That is something I think we all worry about from time to time, I also reside in Pa and we have leash laws here. So I just try to always make sure mine are contained securely at all times and if a dog does happen to get into my yard (which has never happened for it's completly fenced in thank god!) I look at it more as the other persons fault for not properly leashing their dog. However in reality the news outlets would crusify me for the other persons dog not abiding by the leash law, so just be in control of your dog, you really can't help what other people who may not be as responsible as you, do with there dogs. jmo.

10. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Like AGK said they have really bred the "game" out of blues since they were only breeding for color. I wouldn't even say game I would say most blues lack drive. When you start breeding for appearance or color you are not worried about temperament or drive. It's sad that the blue dogs have come to that because it has caused the word "blue" to be a four letter word to most. There still are some good ones out there but they were bred for better reasons than just color.

11. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

where would u be able to find a game blue... i was looking into finding my boy a gf... but if i did breed it would be a one shot deal as many in my family have asked for a puppy if i breed

12. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

or would it be better if i looked for just a good game dog period

13. BigDogg

BigDogg Pup

You answered your own question.

14. gotta12v

gotta12v Pup

In my opinion, and not trying to offend you but I dont think you should be breeding. Breeding should be left to those who have dedicated there lives to bettering the breed. even though your looking for a "game blue" your still breeding for color, and also breeding a good bitch to your subpar male would still not produce.

you shouldnt breed just because family members want a pup. In my opinion if all a family member wants is a good house dog there are all kinda of pit bulls in rescues that would make a geat pet dog and if theyre mature youll already know if theyre hot or cold.

again not trying to offend anyone just my opinion

15. dajuice

dajuice Big Dog

A game dog was bred for performance, everything else is secondary. Color dont make the list.

16. Amen we are a rescue and we are overloaded with great pits that were once members of somebody's family and now they have ended up here for one reason or another. So if anyones looking for a family Pit look us up we are in North Carolina near Raliegh/Durham as a matter of fact we have 2 Blues. Although our dogs are spayed and neutered they still make great Pets.

17. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

o i kno im not ready to breed lol no offense taken... i am though learning more about the breed everyday through research... and personal experience... im only 23 and even tho i do make a good living i would never attempt to breed a dog 1) with in the city but i am lookin in purchasing a house in a few years 2) with out knowing all that i can about the breed its self ive grown up with rots and cane corso this is something new for me 3) with out being 100% sure that i am doing the breed justice because as many of you have stated there are people who breed for style instead of preformance... if i were to breed it would be years 20-30 down the road... right now my one is a hand full

18. dajuice

dajuice Big Dog

Good post blueboy

19. AGK

Well said blueboy08

20. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

Runyons' Colorado Dan & Colorado Imp II were both match dogs. Imp was labled as game as they come and proved game against Searcy Jeff who beat Imp II in 54 minutes. Later in time Runyon came back at Searcy Jeff with Imp's brother Colorado Dan and lost that match too to Jeff.

Not much literature can be found after 1936 involving game blues.

Runyon sold his dogs out after those defeats and it was rumored that Joe Corvino ended up with his dogs and he helped the formation of the AKC AST. That speaks volume and makes sense, the blues have been seen in the AST lines for many years and Corvino had his hand involved in the AST. It would be no shock to me that that is where the blues in AST came from. That is also a big reason why most frown on blues, they mostly could be found in the AKC dogs and we all know that the AST has been bred down to be former shells of thier great ancestors and most commonly bred for show and no go.

So are blues rare ? In the AST bloodlines no it is not, they are grossly over bred and can be found anywhere. Trying to find a game blue ....now thats rare. Game blues are born, you cannot breed for them because once you start breeding for color your breeding program has lost integrity.
    Color is the last thing anyone should be breeding for, when you do you miss out on other traits because you were blinded by color and that color is green.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009