1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Blood around rectum

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dwd58, Nov 21, 2007.

1. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

My female is 2 years old and the last few days she has had a small amount of blood around her rectum after making a stool. Stool looks good, no blood in it. She has been wormed. On days she makes no stool, she has no blood. But the days she has a stool, she has a small amount of blood around her rectum again. She doesnt appear to be sick in any other way. This has happened 4 out of the last 5 days. I thought a bleeding hemroid and have been giving rose hips to treat this for 3 days, but doesnt seem to be letting up so far. Any ideas on the cause or treatment?

2. Suki

Suki Guest

well it could be coming from her anal sacs, it could be due to polyps, a rectal prolapse, internal parasites, colitis, .....

the guesses and possibilities are many.
    so you KNOW what i'm gunna say, right?!!!!;) ......

3. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

What color is the blood? Bright red or darker?

Could be a hemorrhoid, could be an anal fissure, could be anything Suki said above.

What do her stools look like. Are they soft, firm, hard?

It's hard to guess at and as Suki has also suggested, a trip to the Vet for an exam will let you know for sure.

4. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

Stool looks in between,not hard, not soft. Blood is bright red.

5. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

As a follow up., I took her to the vet, and hesaid he thought it was tape worms. I had already wormed her, but evidently, the wormer I used did not kill the tape worms. He wormed her and said that should take care of the problem.

=dwd58]Stool looks in between,not hard, not soft. Blood is bright red.[/QUOTE]

6. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

Update- I took her to the vet, and he reached into her rectum and grabbed a polyp that was just inside and pinched it off and said, that will take care of the problem. It was just that easy!

7. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Thanks for the update, glad to hear everythings good!

8. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

It has now been almost a week, and she is fine, no blood anywhere.