1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Black Bart vs. Pit General

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Fritz, Jan 7, 2015.

1. CHUVALOFAN

CHUVALOFAN Top Dog

Ok, so explain this one more time now, I think I'm getting it...

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

HAHAHA Good one, CHUVALO. :)

3. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Can we still say down from... Being as in both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Game4Glory

Game4Glory Banned

Of course I never seen General. But from everything I read and been told, he's the most devastating dog in history. Just a freak and plumb scary. I wouldn't have fed him without my .45 handy lol. I'm not one to be scared of any dog, but that's not just any dog. Never really heard of him being people aggressive, actually quite the opposite. But still, he would have made me nervous as a w*ore in church. The myth, the legend, the Pit General.

5. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

LMAO Cage. I suppose. HAHA

6. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

no gun needed - -just a long handle shovel - - -lmfao

7. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

i say it this way, i believe - does not have to be directly down from - can be removed a gen or two.

8. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Yes. "Down from" is usually used to denote some key dog in the pedigree behind the parents.

9. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

"How can you state pit general was hardly any better than carvers dogs when you by your own accounts never seen the dog? You are writing about something here that you didn't see and attempting to speak with authority on the subject which is preposterous."

I didn't have to be there to know Davy Crockett didn't "kill him a b'ar when he was only three," either. Which is to say I've a distrust of such tales as go into the making of legends. Pit General was one dog by way of Mayfield. How many dogs do we know by way of Carver? How do we weigh Carver vs. Mayfield in the scales anyway? By one dog? True, I've never seen Pit General in action. I've never seen Black Bart in action either. But I've heard Freddie Jones's account. Somebody on the Mayfield side had to be cautious enough of Bart's abilities to insure it took twelve or however many extra hours' worth of traveling time on his part before the match.

You want to believe Pit General was unbeatable? That's your prerogative. No doubt you wouldn't have matched into him no matter how good a dog you had. You'd have ducked him. As for myself, had I owned Red Danger at the time and he and Pit General were of the same weight, I'd have matched into him in a New York minute. How tiresome these old tales of which dog was the hardest punisher ever -- such things as are unmeasurable. Steinberg is quoted as saying Red Danger was the hardest punisher he ever saw. Fine, but I'll take that with a grain of salt as well, despite Steinberg's rather disgusting account of Red Danger's having quickly tore off another dog's nose and ripped out his tongue.

As to myself, I've been around the dogs long enough to take virtually everything with a grain of salt. You want to believe everything you read? Be my guest. You want to berate me for not believing everything I read. Knock yourself out. To clarify, then -- for your benefit: I believe Pit General to have been a fine pit dog and certainly a legend in the minds of many, yourself included. But because I didn't see him in action, I'm going to take everything I've heard or read about him with a grain of salt. I'm not going to declare him the greatest there ever was and I'm certainly not going to refer to him as unbeatable.

As for my "speaking with authority," you are inaccurate on that score. To give one's opinion is not the same as speaking with authority. To speak with authority suggests making the sort of declaration you've made in declaring my opinion "preposterous."

Now, by all means, treat us to a whole new batch of ancient writings for supporting whichever legend or legends you choose to believe in. As for myself, such things are as good as newspaper reports and susceptible to bias, self-interest, and self-promotion. As with virtually any other report, it falls to the reader to ferret out whatever bits of truth contained, if any at all.

Have a nice day.

10. No doubt you wouldn't have matched into him no matter how good a dog you had. You'd have ducked him. As for myself, had I owned Red Danger at the time and he and Pit General were of the same weight, I'd have matched into him in a New York minute

About the whole pit general thing i simply quoted burton who's achievements in dogs speak for themselves he said pit general was the best dog that ever lived as did mayfield i think i would take their word over your version.
    Now you saying I would of ducked him and you would of went into him is nothing more than fantasy/fiction which is what you specialize in correct ?.
    Debating such theories of things that never happened is absolutely pointless because it is not real but then again like I said you have written a lot in said area.

As to myself, I've been around the dogs long enough to take virtually everything with a grain of salt.

You were however only in dogs for 5 years correct ?

As for my "speaking with authority," you are inaccurate on that score. To give one's opinion is not the same as speaking with authority. To speak with authority suggests making the sort of declaration you've made in declaring my opinion "preposterous."

I said you were attempting to speak with authority not actually speaking with authority I believe the way you attempted to word it you were trying to make out like you knew more than you actually did again this is only my opinion.

As for myself, such things are as good as newspaper reports and susceptible to bias, self-interest, and self-promotion.

Funny you should mention self promotion isn't that why you came to the board for that exact reason self promotion and attempting to sell books which is fine good luck to you but let's not get carried away here.

I'm not trying to berate you I respect your opinion and respect you as a person and author I just don't agree with you trying to contradict what burton and mayfield said on the dog when their experience and achievements in dogs far exceed yours.
    You are attempting to make out like it was all hype or something.
    They weren't peddling pups like carver there was nothing to be gained financially but both parties said he was the most devastating bulldog they had ever seen.
    And in my opinion you attempted to try and take away from that and discredit it.
    anyway that's my view and I am entitled to it.

11. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

"I'm not trying to berate you I respect your opinion and respect you as a person and author I just don't agree with you trying to contradict what burton and mayfield said on the dog when their experience and achievements in dogs far exceed yours."

Oh my, but how utterly unworshipful of Mayfield and Burton my seeming to actually contradict what they've put forth -- and me with but five years in the dogs. Granted, five years ain't much compared to others -- but then one only need be in the dogs for a month to gain a whiff of the hype that passes for truth round these parts. We've all got heroes. You've got yours and I've got mine. But I'll tell you right off that Mayfield was never and will never be a hero of mine. Truth told, as far as actual heroes go, I have none among the dogmen I've known -- only some I like better than others, that's all.

Am I here to sell books? You betcha. But not for the money. There's no money to be made on these dog books of mine -- and the money I've made on them so far wouldn't amount to a nickel an hour considering how long it took me to write them. Love of writing, you see, doesn't equate to love of money. Do I want others to read my books? Of course I do. But do I expect to make any money out of the deal? Nothing more laughable. Real writers write to be read and to share their passion with others. Only hacks write for money and only money. Sad, I think, my having to defend myself on that score.

But let's for a moment look at what it is that set you off in the first place:

"How can you state pit general was hardly any better than carvers dogs when you by your own accounts never seen the dog?"

What, really, was I saying there? Did I say Carver had any dogs that were better than Pit General? No, what I said was that Pit General was hardly any better than any of Carver's. Which was the same as saying that, yes, Pit General was at least somewhat better than any dog Carver might have produced. But apparently that wasn't good enough for you. Apparently I was supposed to rave over how much better Pit General was than any Carver dog. Had I said a zillion times better, would that have met with your approval? Would you have been a bit less likely then to draw down on me and seek to label me "preposterous"?

Man, put your quick little gun away. I've no gripe with you, and were you to think carefully for just the briefest of moments, you'd realize you've no gripe with me either. Truth told, I've had this problem a time or two in the past -- someone viewing me as the gunslinger to be brought down. Just like in the old days when reputations were to be made by being quickest on the draw. Man, I'm just sitting at the bar and sipping my drink. I don't want to draw down on you. Not that I can't be forced to. But, truth told, such situations are not to my liking.

12. Eagle

Eagle Big Dog

I normally stay out of the Mayfield hogwash, but damn, you're doing the very same thing you are condemning others for. No pun intended.

Now, Freddy knew the guys he was speaking of, knew the rumor mill from the days. He simply gave his side of things, and you are offended?

Rather than cut anyone down, I want to ask one question, since you seem to know so much. Where are Mayfield's GR. CH.'s? Why did he have none?
    Many think he was an expert conditioner, and those who know know that conditioning is the deciding factor in a fight, along with the feed in keep.

So a dog killed three hogs and a dog? So what...doesn;t prove a thing. An aunt of one of my dogs, her dam's sister, killed a whole kennel when she got loose in another breeder's yard.
    What did that breeder do? He got rid of her! She did him a favor, yet got rid of a dog he should have kept..His pride was hurt I assume...JMO...

Another thing....Mayfield did not accept all challenges....but the worst stain on him is this: he was a cheat. Which is why he hid until Carver died after the Bullyson match.
    Many call Bullyson a cur, but the fact is Mayfield and others had the other dog, Bullyson's son, rubbed with nicotine.
    Had Don got in the car with others one day, he would have been found in the Texas killing fields with the others who were....

Bottom line though is this...the game is dead....there is no benefit in arguing over things that never happened.

Joe Corvino said it best: "the only time a dogman tells the truth is when he calls the other dogman a liar."

Another wise saying he had was this: "The test of a dog is the show; the test of a family is time."

One time wonders matter little if they fail to reproduce...Mayfield has been gone for years....and so have his true dogs.

dayair1 likes this.
  13. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Can't argue with that statement. I do say it in that context as well. I have been known to say that this dog came down from these too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. keystone

keystone CH Dog

europe is ful of the mayfield genes ..........

15. keystone

keystone CH Dog

The test of a dog is the show; the test of a family is time."
    bert sorrel

16. keystone

keystone CH Dog

Many call Bullyson a cur, but the fact is Mayfield and others had the other dog, Bullyson's son, rubbed with nicotine.
    Had Don got in the car with others one day, he would have been found in the Texas killing fields with the others who were...

bullyson was exhausted ....before he start the match lol...
    Maurice bred him like times in the week before the match lol
    and even very shortly before the mtach

17. keystone

keystone CH Dog

5/6 times he was bred ..old news eagle

18. keystone

keystone CH Dog

So a dog killed three hogs and a dog? So what...doesn;t prove a thing. An aunt of one of my dogs, her dam's sister, killed a whole kennel when she got loose in another breeder's yard.

this proves that the an with that other yard badly needed the aunt of one of your dogs.[​IMG]

19. keystone

keystone CH Dog

for EAGLE

WHEN THE GAME DOG IS GONNE DO HIS BATTLE OF DEAD AND LIFE (3 YEARS . HUMA)
    HIS BODY HAVE TO BE IN THE SAME CONDITION AS THE BODY OF THE EAGLE ...WHEN HE MAKE HIS LAST FLYED INTO THE VALLEY TO SURVIVE..

don mayfield

20. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

....fritz again hats off to you,nicely put to-gether....calico(dik)..your and curstone need serious help medical..help...dm..genes all over europe..lol...lol..where are all these great pure of the pure.....lol....again ya ask someones opinion and if it don't go with your tall tales....look what happens...curstone has a micky-fit..an starts slamming,the keyboard...banging out the same old ...dribble.....lol...lol