1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

black and tans

Discussion in 'Photography, Artwork & Videos' started by labulldoger, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Oh man! They are so cute! Black and tan isn't prefered in staffords, right?? I've always wondered why. I personally think the coloring is absolutely stunning!

2. redbill

redbill Big Dog

ye in kc its not liked. dont bother me as a good dog isnt a bad colour;)

3. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

you know it sickens me when these registries make rules on what colors WORKING BREEDS can and cant be

4. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

No doubt! I never could wrap my head around that.

5. man that's a beautiful litter of pups . how rare is that ??

6. I bred my buckskin male and my seal female got 13 pups and got only 1 black and tan female the rest were 8 black with white chest 1 fawn 2 buckskin 1 white with black spotted ears

7. redbill

redbill Big Dog

not too common at all with 3 but in this line they do show up now and then.

8. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

What's the ped on your bitch tryptronics? She's gorgeous!

9. mfern004

mfern004 Big Dog

I have an explanation (whether its true or not?) about the black-and-tan coloration and why it's discouraged in staffords. Its from "The Complete Staffordshire Bull Terrier" but the book is written by a KC show guy, not necessarily a working dogman. Anyways, he explains it actually has to do with the shape of the dog's feet. In the Black-and-Tan Terrier the two middle toes on the front feet are supposed to be longer than the two outer toes, and the back feet are "cat-like," those wouldn't be the feet you'd want in order to get the most drive for a pit dog in the old days. This foot type trait seems to be closely tied to the black-and-tan coloration, and black-and-tan type is supposedly pretty dominant. Therefore they discourage that coloration...

But I can't find any reason as to why they wouldn't want red-nosed or "liver" colored dogs :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  10. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Hmmmm! Weird. You learn something new every day! Interesting.... now I'm going to be scoping out all the feet on any black and tan dogs I see! lol I wonder what he means by ''cat like''?

11. redbill

redbill Big Dog

very interesting.
    i would say an explanation could be terrier influence in the makeup of the breed as im sure black n tan terrier blood would be in there way way way back?
    anyway it all make interesting reading and differant veiws are always good

12. I know this sounds terrible but honestly i don't know!! I wish I did but the dam was given to me by a friend and the sire showed up on a job I was working on. in the case of the dam I was only supposed to watch her fora few weeksbut that turned into forever. I tried to get the ped on her but they would never respond so I guess I'm pretty much screwed on that !! And thanks for the compliment!!

13. That is truely a diff. explanation gonna have to check that out!!! Very interesting!!

14. Sorry to add this later but the dam SUPPOSEDLY is boudreaux and tank. Thats all i was told but I'm not real sure

15. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Isn't it nice when great dogs just seem to fall into your lap! lol I always wind up with the best dogs by accident! lol

16. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

17. Yes it is!!! the sire Bruiser just showed up and followed my coworker into the house we were in and the contractor said he was walking around for a week or two so i took him home. The dam Chica i was supposed to watch for awhile and like i said the girl i got her from never called or anything so finally after 3 months I called her and asked what was up and she asked if I wanted to keep her and of course i said yes!! It's beautiful how things work out that way !!

18. I have their pics uploaded if yall would like to take a look. They are not the best pics but they'll work for now.