1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bettering the breed is BS

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 1916, Sep 20, 2010.

1. 1916

1916 Big Dog

It will never happen. Now you may be going "yeh right stupid", so ill get deeper here. we all hear others say and some of us have said it,but really,the breed is already perfect,we just have to keep it that way.Thus we need to move away from the "betterment of the breed" BS to "preserving the breed. You cant fix what isn't broken,you can only break it. The whole reason for testing,to keep it fromj getting broke. By only breeding the good and culling the bad.

2. popper

popper CH Dog

you def gotta point but not everyone has the perfect all around ability, mouth, game, smarts bulldog... some , not all... so some are striving for that best

3. 1916

1916 Big Dog

Yeh but bettering the line is different than the breed,at least the way i see it.

4. Blau

Blau Big Dog

You've got a good point... But what is the point of having the breed around if it isn't doing what it was bred for? To me, that's like 'show dogs'... Just a shell of a dog. A shadow of what the breed USED to be. Aka AmStaffs.

But that's just my way of thinking, I could be wrong!

5. 1916

1916 Big Dog

I agree,if they arent being used for what they were intended for,then they just become am amstaffs

6. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

not striving for improvement simply reinforces the status quo.

there is always room for improvement in all facets of life

7. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

IMO there is no such thing as perfection. You can always be a little faster or stronger. I see where your going as far as the breed as a whole versus individual dogs but overall you wasnt want to strive for improvement. If not what is your purpose???

8. eddieem

eddieem Big Dog

always room for improvement...have you been to a show lately? theres some dogs there winning that wouldnt scratch into a poodle

9. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Agreed nothing is perfect.

Vic

10. Young SeNsE_VA

Young SeNsE_VA Top Dog

Well damn lol are you talking about adba shows?

11. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

lol true i hate when i see a good bulldog go to waste in the wrong hands..

12. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

adba shows are a joke. I saw a recent dog championed that wasn't even purebred.
    a good example of a bulldog would not place at most adba shows these days. there are people judging that have no idea what a winning bulldog looked like nor what a dog needed to win (physically and mentally). the dogs put up at shows are a caricature of an apbt rather than the real thing. a 'pretty dog' not a bulldog. I've attended dog shows on and off for the last 20 odd years, the dogs of 15 to 20 years ago would not place these days. most adba judges would not even give a second look to a dog off jeep or rascal at todays shows. the judges pick skinny whippet looking dogs, more often than not chocolate or even blue in color.

13. 1916

1916 Big Dog

What is there to improve? To me you,if you have a good dog or dogs and it/they would do what needs to be done,performs good,then what needs to be improved? It would be more about not screwing up whats good.
    As far as shows,if you have a dog that does good at shows but wouldnt scatch into anything,well thats an amstaff.kick it to the side and get better stock

14. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

What is there to improve?

I will guess you haven't bred many dogs.

15. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Like i said b4 u can always be stronger and faster. Just bc your dog is strong doesnt mean a stronger one can come along. Just bc ur dog is faster doesnt mean a faster one cant come along. Just bc ur dog is durable doesnt mean.... and the least just keeps going. You dont want to maintain and not screw it up. If you do that in a few years you line will be shit compared to the guy down the street improving with every breeding

16. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i have not been to many shows but the ones i went to i seen some bulldogs place and even win, but like benthere said it depends on who is judging. i was lucky enough to have gary hamonds at one of the shows i went to

17. venom

venom Top Dog

The breed is not perfect...
    Betterment of the breed is said by people of all breeds and it could be regarding anything weather it be performance, production, health, etc. If the breed was perfect then there wouldnt be subpar dogs... there would be no undesirable traits to be passed down.

18. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

There will always be manbiters there will always be curs it genetics....plain and simple and judges will always have a favorite..I love me a buckskin or a rednose. just my 2 cents;)

19. 1916

1916 Big Dog

the way i see it,if you have quality dogs and continue to have quality dogs and dont fuck it up,then you shouldnt have to improve anything,but if you have shit bred dogs that dont do anything,well i guess you do need to improve something or cull them and start over

20. eddieem

eddieem Big Dog

ya the shows are a joke but i like being around folks that like the breed...good time. Just dont understand looking down on a dog cause he wants to do what he does