1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Best Way?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by bladematic, Jul 13, 2005.

1. What is the best way to make my dog bigger? I'm using only eukanuba dog food right now... are there any kind of natural enhancers to make them swell up or is it just in the breed? I'm just curious about this because some of the dogs I see are alot larger than others. Right now my pup is 1yr. @ 60lbs. Full Blooded American Red Nose Pit Bull he is pretty big but I think maybe he could be a lot bigger.... anybody that has any inside would be greatly apreciated.

Thanx,
    Blade

2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

It all depends on his breeding.. the APBT varies in sizes and weights because preformance is focused on more so than size, looks etc.. they are working dogs.

But a word of catuion, the more weight you stack on your dog, as with people, the more likely problems will develop (breathing, hips, joints, etc) You should be more concerned with maintaining a fit and healthy dog rather than stacking the pounds on or making him "swell"

There are alot of threads on nutrition , just do a search on the forum

3. Dpres1

Dpres1 Big Dog

How tall is your dog? 60 lbs is actually a little on the heavy side for an APBT. As long as weight is proportionate to his height leave him be. He is only a year so he may fill out a little more in time. Also, the food you are feeding him is no good IMO

4. FIREMAN

FIREMAN Big Dog

yea i agree with d pres.eukanuba isnt good, also about his height. hell look really goofy if hes all off set n all

5. like any person genetics has alot to deal with how a dog will come out so if its bloodline and ancestry is good you'll come out with a built dog... conditioning helps as well... think of it as weight lifting for dogs... however many pits you see that are stocky short and cut like the best weightlifters in the business have been given steroids which is NOT a good idea.. dont even think about it... right now depending on your dogs height as it was stated you have a decent size dog... if you feed quality dog food and actually keep your dog active you'll end up with more muscle mass because the last thing you want is a pit that weighs 75 pounds due to fat

6. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

do u have pics of the dog

7. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Man that dog should weigh at least 100 lbs you must not be feeding him enough. Just kidding ...just let him grow naturally you dont want him bigger than nature intended... it wont make him healthier it will just put stress on his vascular system and make him more succeptable to injury..starting now and even harder after 18 mos or so take him running and swimming or let him run on a mill everyday he will bulk up where he should and you both will be happier because of it...hes already 60lbs so sounds like hes a good size dog already at only 1 year...nature might add 5-10 more lbs by the time he is in his prime and done growing... so take it easy and see where he should be at his true weight when hes mature before trying to define him or put muscle on him......

8. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Just FYI, An "American Red Nose Pit Bull" is not a breed.

9. Marty

Marty Guest

I got one lol

Attached Files:

10. Dpres1

Dpres1 Big Dog

Holy!!! My dogs look like slobs compared to that. Oh wait, they are (well, just the bluenose). Looks awesome nevertheless!!!
    :D

11. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

thats a great looking one at that!

12. Is this the same dog that is on your pic gallery #8? He sure looks ready on this one. how tall? weight? head size? neck size? age? I want to compare it to mine. Although mine is not on pit weight, I would like it to have the stomach yours has. I am assuming alot of mill work did the trick?

My dog is 22 inches tall at shoulders, around 22 inch neck, head is about 21 inches, 4 years old and weighs 60 pounds. Could you tell me from your vast experience what my dog's weight should be (pit weight).

Again, beautiful specimen.

13. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“Could you tell me from your vast experience what my dog's weight should be (pit weight).”
    No one can tell you that, especially going by useless measurements! People can give you a “guess” on how much he could possibly loose by a picture, but nothing definite. The average dog is 10-15lbs over ideal chain weight.

14. lytegray

lytegray Pup

What is a good food in your opinion? I've used ProPlan for my puppies, but I'm always looking for better. They are what they eat, so I want the best food I can find. Also, how often should their food be switched when doing so? I've heard that a dog should be left on any given food for at least a month to get their system adjusted to it.

15. Marty

Marty Guest

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3294

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2005
  16. Thnxs for the replies guys as you can I am a rookie! My dog is 24in. from paw to head, 44in. stretched out from front paw to back paw...I'm guessing this is the wrong way to measure so as soon as somebody informs me of that I'll try to get it right...Thnxs for the info on breeds I got the rednose info from a bullsh@#$ guy when I first got my dog he said it was a rednose. I'll just leave my pit be cause he seems to be in perfect health as the vet keeps telling me and I'll be damned if I do something stupid to ruin this beauty...as soon as I get a digital picture I'll post it... Thnxs again for your pro-insight!

17. lytegray

lytegray Pup

18. Anthony.

Anthony. Pup

Yes the best way is to keep on a good diet. But most importantly make sure it doesnt catch any diseases growing up. Like parvo or any other infection. It sets dog back dramatically in growth.

19. It's VERY important to know your animal's pedigree. That will give you an idea what size he will be. Pit bulls come in a wide range of sizes; hence, the apbt standard. Certain lines run larger than others. Athleticism was crucial...not big heads, blockiness, thick, squat necks, ect. The pit bull was and hopefully will continue to be a breed that focuses first on function.

Eukanuba is not the greatest feeding choice....there are many superior commercial products. Choose one with made with human grade products and that is appropriate for your dog's age and activity level. I'm please with the Chicken Soup line and see good looking dogs from kennels using Canidae as well. There are others...use the internet to do some research. Also, most manufacturers and veteranarians do NOT recommend supplementation with these high quality foods. As many others have mentioned, this can lead to a number of health problems. Plenty of exercise will help to improve your dog's muscle mass and will add weight. This is NOT the same as just feeding him more! My personal favorite is swimming. It works all the muscle groups, improves cardiovascular stamina, and avoids concussion/stress type injuries. We generally introduce our puppies to water around 7 weeks before they hit the fear stage. I've got a 4 month male that I'm watching that will out-retreive any lab. (A pit bull will die before he quits!) It tends to make the public rethink pit bulls when they see our dogs crashing through the surf to retrieve whatever we've thrown. The biggest problem is getting them to quit!

Good luck with your dog....however big or small he turns out to be. Help him be the BEST he can be and the rest will take care of itself.

20. madpit

madpit Pup

I use canadian food "Acana" 290g for day per dog. Excellent results.