1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

best raw diet

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by maydaymatt, Sep 29, 2012.

1. maydaymatt

maydaymatt Big Dog

Wanting to start feeding raw and wanting to know what's your best recipes.

2. mma316

mma316 Pup

It would be good to start with poultry, preferably chicken. Poultry is easier on the stomach for dogs that are new to raw. Stay with the poultry for 2 -4 weeks. Feed all parts, while adding a fair amount of meaty bones...like necks & backs. About 2 weeks into it start to add a whole fish. This is important, because the fish will give the needed Omega 3s. So, now you're feeding mainly poultry items, with 1 whole fish meal throughout the week. I like to feed meaty bones in the morning, and feed items(quarters, thighs, drums, legs, breast, turkey/chicken wings) with a more meaty content in the evening. I break down feedings to twice a day, but you can also feed one full daily amount(10%-15% healthy of dogs weight). So, I usually feed a whole fish meal in the evening...once a week. After about a month or so, you can start to switch up your meats. I only feed poultry, fish, red meats(lamb, beef, bison, goat), eggs with shell. Some people feed pork items, I've never tried that. Once a week, I usually replace 1 evening meal with a red meat source. Also, you'll need to supply a small amount of mineral meats(liver, kidney, green tripe etc.) no more than once. You can add all kinds of plant matter if you'd like, but all the dog really needs is a healthy meat to bone ratio. If the stool becomes a little too loose for you, just add more bone items to the dogs daily intake. I hope I've helped you without confusing you.

3. devonte151

devonte151 Fast Lane Bulldogs

deer and rabbit is pretty good just got to add some type of fat for the rabbit meat

4. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

DO NOT FEED 10-15% of a dogs weight. More accurate measurement is 2% of dogs weight and adjust as needed.

5. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Leg quarters from Wal Mart, gizzards, liver, one cup of veggie pulp, soft boiled egg, extra virgin olive oil, cocoanut oil, wheat germ flakes or oil, calcium pill, magnesium pill and some other stuff. Works fine for what I'm doing. Chicken backs are a real good snack as well.

6. cromsboss

cromsboss Big Dog

buy a good book on the subject or join a forum dedicated to RAW/BARF diet
    as dutchy954 stated, start with 2% of the dogs total body weight
    the diet must be balanced and be complete nutritionally, so it's best to do some serious research first

the basic idea is 70% meat (should have good fat content), 20% pulverised vegetables/fruit, 10% bone
    supplements like salmon oil, linseed oil, wheatgerm oil , vitamin C may also need to be added to the diet
    a source of vitamin D (raw fish) should be provided once a week

the link is a raw dog food calculator
    http://dogsfirst.ie/?page_id=8838

buy a good book or join a forum dedicated to RAW/BARF diet

7. Furious_Ford

Furious_Ford Big Dog

I agree...plenty of research is good, & a lot of this raw diet is trial, & error until you find what works best for your dogs...staying aware, & on the look out for positive, & negative affects on your dogs is a must!
    I'm a beleiver in that dogs diets, & what they are fed vary differently according to the area, climate, & inviroment you live in...example Az dog diets, & Ohio dog diets will vary!
    Maybe try looking for an many years expierienced raw feeder dogman in your area to help you out, & school you a lil on raw feeding...you'll know if they're feeding right when you see they have 12yr old dogs running around hitting the ends of they're chains like 3-5yr olds!

8. I would go with raw chicken first. If you can find a co-op near you buy from them. The chicken you buy in stores is loaded with salt water or chicken broth. The best place to look for a co-op is at your mom and pop restaurants. You can ask them where they get there meat and poultry from. I like to start out with chicken backs first because the of the meat to bone ratio along with the organ meat that is inside the backs.

9. HELLYEAH

HELLYEAH Banned

10. SBKennels

SBKennels Pup

I agree with the leg quarters because the chicken and bone marrow gives such good protein for the dogs that is what I use when we are starting a keep.

11. mma316

mma316 Pup

I meant to say for growing pups. Good check dutch.

12. Joe Black

Joe Black Banned

13. I would go with raw chicken first. . The chicken you buy in stores is loaded with salt water or chicken broth. You can ask them where they get there meat and poultry from. I like to start out with chicken backs first because the meat to bone ratio along with the organ meat that is inside the backs.

doctors excuses

14. bbad

bbad Big Dog

for your fish what you give them?

15. Elliehanna

Elliehanna Big Dog

when I give fish its typically sardines (make sure if you get the cans they are in water), if you do any wild caught fish make sure you freeze them for 3-6 weeks (I go 2 months because I forget if its 3 or 6 weeks and I don't want to chance it) I do it with store bought wild caught fish too. I have been feeding raw for right at 10 months now and my boy has gone from underweight (he couldn't digest kibble and after trying for 3 years and him finally not being able to tolerate any kibble...I think it is probably the perservatives because I have tried crap kibbles to all the way up Orijen....anyhow) I try to give fish about 1 time a week, I also give fish oil 1 or 2 times a month but its not really needed.

also a supplement that is fantastic for a working or older dog is chicken feet, its night and day to the glucosomin/condroitin supplements in my boy, he is almost 4 and he acts like he is 1 again (I give him 1 a day, 2 if he has been working hard)

I also feed all my meals frozen or partially frozen, you don't have to but it does help if you have a gulper

16. Boxer

Boxer Pup

Hi just wanting to know if anyone using bully max supplements and there opinion how the dogs doing on it

17. bbad

bbad Big Dog

ok thanks, why fish must be freeze 3-6 weeks? & how about a can of jack mackeral once a week

18. Elliehanna

Elliehanna Big Dog

Jack mackeral is fine

the reason for the freeze on wild caught fish is because there is a parasite that is deadly, it starts with a T if I remember right but it takes a hard freeze to kill it, its safe to feed the fish after the freeze though no problem.

19. I live in Miami and interested in partial to full raw diet.Anyone who can help me with a start up recipe

20. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

I am doing kibble and raw when I find good deals. I also go fishing when I can and give my dogs the whole fish I gut them freeze them for a few days and feed it to them they love the fish.so much that for a wail they dint want to eat their kibble, im working on going full raw the pit-bull bible has good recipes and instructions on how to feed raw also California Jack has some some dvds on how to feed raw