1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

bear meat?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 1916, Nov 29, 2010.

1. 1916

1916 Big Dog

i was given a few pounds of bear meat that my mom decided not to cook. I've fed the dogs deer before but never thought of bear anyone ever fed bear to their dogs? Should i feed it to them or not?
    I'm not going to eat it,too damn gristly for me.

2. moloss

moloss Pup

if your dogs are used to raw meat I think they'll be fine.....my AB eats any and everything (coon, squirrel, dear, wood chuck, mole, mouse all raw) but hasn't had bear.....I've had bear and it's not my favorite either:)

3. 1916

1916 Big Dog

yeh,they are used to deer,they love it as much as i do. gotta love the friends in the woods.

4. n2bulldogs

n2bulldogs Banned

I can't think of any reason not to. BTW your mom sounds badass! bear meat!? thanksgiving leftovers?? LOL

5. Jeep/Redboy

Jeep/Redboy Big Dog

I'm a hunter myself but I would balk at feeding them raw wild game. I know their stomachs and immune system can handle more than us, but I would only feed raw store bought meat. Too much other stuff going on in the wild. That is just me though and if they have been eating deer and doing fine, I don't see where bear would hurt. Never had it myself, ate a lot of hog but it tastes real gamey to me. As country as I am, it's not my first choice lol.

6. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

Bear meat will be fine. It is much better for them than deer meat. It would be safer if you cooked it, if you are afraid of any probems with it. I would be leary of feeding any raw deer meat. Uunlike bear, Deer have so many problems any more with CWD and blue tounge etc. But even deer with problems should be alright if it is cooked thoroughly .