1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

axle pics

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by dadecounty, Jan 5, 2010.

1. dadecounty

dadecounty Big Dog

Can someone please post a pic of the axle end of a setup.I tried to do a search but got no pics of the axle end.I need to see how to attatch the chain to the axle.THANKS

2. gameone

gameone Big Dog

3. dadecounty

dadecounty Big Dog

I saw that one.Just cant tell how to atatch the chain to the axle.Just loop it around it & use a clip?

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I'm pretty sure marty uses an o-ring at the end of his chain then drives the axel through. that's how I do mine but I used rebar instead then drove it way down.

with an o ring though you need to constantly check it. you also should go with a weldless ring.

5. gameone

gameone Big Dog

For my axels I use heavy duty chain about 3 feet of it.I use a cold shot and loop the chain around the axel and bury it till there is only 6 inchs of the chain coming out of the ground.Then I attach my chain to that.This I found works better then O rings above and below the ground.If you want to use O rings go to a pipe frabircator shop and get some schedule 40 or 80 (f they have it)pipe what ever size you want.cut to 5/8's thick.
    Most of my barrels sit on a 3 inch pipe (schedule 40)off the ground with a 6 inch schedule 40 ring around them.Hvent had to replace one in 8 years now.

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Using an o-ring to attach the chain to the axle is setting yourself up for failure. Your chain set-up is only as good as it's weakest link, and that will be your weakest link. O-rings arn't designed to be constantly rubbing another piece of metal. Therefore they will breakdown faster than any other part of the set-up. The best way, as far as strenght of the set-up goes IMO is to attach chain to chain to make a loop, conect the chain to itself with a cold shut, put axle thru loop and pound it ALL the way into the ground. ;)

7. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Here's Marty's setup I was talking about earlier.
    • 5/16" in chain
    • Two O rings connected to a swivel with a laplink on the collar end
    • Monster 3/4 x 3" weldless ring connected with another laplink at the axel end
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My setup uses
    • 3/8" chain
    • a ring fed through bent to rebar (though my ring isn't as thick) then is connected with quicklinks.
    • Then on the collar end is a bullsnap(attached by quicklink) clipped to an Oring.
    Note:
    The quicklink at the base of the chain is rusted shut and won't budge but the quicklink that connects to the bullsnap has come uncrewed on me before so I scuffed up the grooves and superglued it and haven't had any troubles since.
    The tie-out is basically so he won't climb out of his kennel run so it serves it's purpose but if your dog will be in the yard I suggest coldshuts or laplinks instead of the quicklinks and the 2x Oring and swivel instead of the bullsnap.

Also, AGK's suggestion to loop a chain at the axel end is a very good idea if you don't trust the weldless o ring

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  8. dadecounty

dadecounty Big Dog

I hope this dont sound retarded.Why not attatch the chain to the hole on the axle where the stud would normaly go?the axle will spin as the dog runs in circles?

9. Corley

Corley Big Dog

This will just twist the chain around the axle and tangle up the dog.
    I found it is best to use an "O" ring on both ends of the chain. You can slip 1 end of the chain over the bar on the axle before you hammer the axle into the ground. The other end can go over the dogs collar. This is a great setup.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">