1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

automatic dog feeders

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Mr.Mr.203, Jul 12, 2014.

1. determination

determination Big Dog

My dogs eats much less when free fed. Not at first though. Your results my very.

2. determination

determination Big Dog

I mean dog not dogs

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

4. AGK

I don't free feed, never have. Every free fed dog I ever seen was always over weight. (these were pets though and I find that many pet owners let their dogs be lazy for some odd reason, probably because most are over weight and out of shape themselves) I never knew anyone to free feed their worker bees, I'm not saying it isn't done or disagreeing with the free feeding, just never met a dogman that free fed, of course though, I haven't been around these dogs no where near as long as I.M. has. I do agree though about the AC groups not being able to try and say the dogs don't have access to food though, good point..

5. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

"Unless it's winter in the North, of course.... :lol: "

Winter is the best time to do a dog. I didn't think you were new to the sport.

I said if they get to fat, CHANGE FEED!
    Worker bees? You are comparing dogs to worker bees...........
    BTW n o dogmen? How about I.C.C. He is another who does. Don't know him? Well look back in 03 or 04 SDJ there is 3 or 4 champions he produced in the year book.

In fact a friend of mine the late True Colors owned one of the champions from him.

6. AGK

Ah Mike, you really have to get a sense of humor. Lol.
    Most of that was just a figure of speach. I dont feel as comfortable as you do with just blurting certian things out. Winter is ideal perhaps because its cooler but we shut down here in the winter other than maybe looking, cant keep no dog outside here at even chain weight, they would freeze their asses off. Only thing done in the winter here is keeping them fat, fed and dry.

I had said I didnt know anyone who free fed, i didnt say you didnt, i knew you did. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  7. BOTP Kennels

BOTP Kennels Big Dog

a pattern I seen is when u free feed from the start they usually wont gorge or show much interest in food...I have 2 females I free fed from pups and sometimes they will take more than a day to finish about 2 1/2 cups...but dogs on a feeding schedule usually eat on sight jmo and what ive seen

8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I don't leave food out...When I put food down if they don't eat it in a certain amount of time I take it back up.Ok but where I live in the south if you leave it out Fire Ants and other insects will get to it..I don't know if the auto feeders are insect proof ..Another thing I like to keep my feed in a sealed container to keep the moisture out because its humid where I live....So I think you would have to consider environment for sure.

9. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...on another note...we all know or should know how dangerous slugs+snails can be heart/hook/lung worm etc/etc....we allways sprinkle salt on the floor around feed+water dishs...keeps them at bay....they like to slime over food/water dishs....the salt is good for keeping em a-way...thats another reason would'nt leave food out,,but can under-stand if ya have alot of hounds....

10. keystone

keystone CH Dog

evrey dog diff weight ...
    so scale for evrydog the food .. more econimic and les suprise ....that moment you think he heor she is to fat ( over weight )
    when put food on the floor (no buckets) dog don't eat immediatly take it away .
    even when dog eats to slow .
    check dog of course
    automatic cow feeders lol
    feed
    take poop
    give water and in the mean time look at them

evrytime/day you pas the dogs ..and look at them you learn

11. keystone

keystone CH Dog

but can under-stand if ya have alot of hounds....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    you don't understand anything lol

12. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Key, do you use automatic feeders?

13. keystone

keystone CH Dog

<o:p>no pitz ......</o:p>
    <o:p>only feeding a cople on this moment ....</o:p>
    <o:p>but would nevr use it ..neither with 50 dogs </o:p>
    <o:p>if it gets to heavy to do it manual ...its time to make the yard smaller </o:p>
    <o:p>one of the nicest things is .....hear the yard crying for food ...</o:p>
    <o:p>and the movement ...in the hours before </o:p>
    <o:p>then to give it ..and look at them </o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

14. treezpitz

Understand 100% Key. I personally agree that if you have so many dogs that you can't feed them manually, maybe you should cut back. I agree with you on that for sure.

15. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

....cut back curstone.......he never had any worth feeding...full-stop...lol..lol...

16. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Oh come on, I know people in AK. who has dogs and are kept outside all winter.
    Cold, tell me all about last winter!
    I keep many live in sub zero weather..

BTW I don't think the time of year is letting the cat out of the bag. Show news has always proved that.
    This is why you can't ship in the summer when it gets over 82 degrees. When it gets over the temp. it is called dog days....
    This is what cause dogs to have a heat stroke.

17. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Now for the pet owners who have a couple of dogs, get rid of them if you're so cheap you can't afford to free feed.

18. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

....Tree-p...can you really understand...key....??????

19. keystone

keystone CH Dog

what the problem ..not evry winter
    but had them 19 under zero in the dog houses ..problemles

20. treezpitz

For the most part, Blue, yes I can.