1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Athletic dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by davidfitness83, Jul 13, 2012.

1. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Nobody is saying here to breed for conformation, at least I dont think so???
    But conformation does matter... That squatty-body bighead dog I posted could be game as the day is long but it wouldn't matter because he couldn't perform!
    If you breed for performance... good conformation will come naturally...

2. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Stop trying to pull an audience and talk to me.

So is the function to be game, or to win? Cause wins don't mean game. and as far as your skull question, yes I think a certain structure skull has better "form" and can close easier with the right angulation. And I quote you from a different thread "dogs bite hard cause they can, not cause they want to. lol"

3. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

If you breed for the proper task, you wont have to worry about conformation. Because the dog will come out the way it is suppose to. Thats all that they are trying to say 0o;. Its not that no one cares about conformation; its that they don't worry about it because they breed their dogs for a reason (sports, show, hunting, ect.). Its when you start getting kids breeding these dogs for money when you need to worry about the conformation of a dog. If it looks like it can't run, can't jump, can't breath, could have a heart attack running, I don't want it. Might as well do the dog a favor and just put it down.

4. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

lmao you dont really believe all that crap you posted do ya i dont know who you quoted but thats not true i probably have said this a dozen times on here but they hardest biting dog i ever seen was a little 37-38 lbs bitch with a little skinny head to look at her you wouldnt think she couldnt bite her way out of a wet paper bag but she wrecked shit and quick lol

5. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Strongest dog I have ever walked lb for lb is cowhocked to an extent....got a bit of a roach too, but, man is he strong.

6. CARVER

CARVER Pup

Wow beautiful!!

7. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Thank You Carver ....

8. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

That makes sense. Yet, you could have a male and a female that have performed well, yet breeding them would be a bad idea based on a similar structural weakness they both have. Let's say that they are both cow-hocked, a common, minor issue that has been mentioned in this thread. it could be any other fault too, if both dogs have that fault This conformational weakness may not have adversely affected either dog. But If you were to breed those two, you might get some dogs that are badly cow-hocked, and that tendency will have been set into the line, and would be damned hard to get rid of. Cow-hocked dogs have done well. But if you had a choice, it would be better not to double-up. Knowing how to evaluate a dog's conformation could come in handy in cases like this.

9. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

Isn't that what out-crossing a line is for? If you have two dogs that perform well but are cow-hocked then Don't breed them. I would say that is common sense, but i'm starting to believe otherwise. In that case it would be better to breed out a generation or two on both dogs with other dogs who have proved to perform well and then mix the genes back up with those dogs great grand pups or farther down the line. If that makes any sense. ^^; I'm still new to the whole breeding regiment and learning. So if I am wrong; please correct me.

10. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

I want to add to be be more on point about what I was saying about the out-crossing. You want to make sure what ever dogs you choose to breed with does not have the same defects that your dog has. The pups, you want to pick pups that also do not have that dominate gene (appearance; it can be recessive).

11. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Great post...

12. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

I'm not denying It is a very good post LOL! I just am trying to understand why someone would breed two dogs with visible defaults.

13. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

LMAO, I am talking to you, I don't see no audience? Unless you seeing or hearing something I dont? LOL.

A Function is any performance trait that makes a bulldog a bulldog.

Again certain structure of the skull/form dont equate to a dogs level of function/performance.

Ah shit, now that's a really good quote LOL. Although that quote has almost nothing to do with what we are talking about right now.

Now if you think that my quote meant that because a dog CAN bite hard , you must of assumed I meant its from the form or structure? WRONG LMAO.

Its like having 2 boxers with the same form or structure, but one boxer is a hard puncher with KO power and the other one cant even punch threw card board LOL.

Either you did a lot of searching to find my quote, or you actually remembered something that I said, its just too bad you did not fully understand it LMAO.

14. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

First, I think you mean faults, not defaults. A dog with a default would fall into a particular, set pattern any time he got reset. Or it could refer to a dog that failed to pay his debts. Hahah...

According to your post as I understand it, since you would breed strictly on ability, you could theoretically breed two dogs together with minor structural faults, because those dogs had overcome those faults and succeeded. There are plenty of good dogs with a conformational fault, and the owner/breeder should be aware and able to avoid making it worse. There may be conformationally perfect dogs that aren't particularly successful, successful dogs that aren't conformationally perfect, and a very few rare dogs that are both. Most people would give their left nut for such a dog.

But I still agree with your overall point, that if you choose dogs based on proven success, their conformation can't be terribly wrong. Plus, their chances of throwing dogs with drive and gameness is increased.

15. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

I did mean faults. LOL! Its my nap time.

Overall I agree with your posting also. I don't see an issue with a dog being able to preform and have a couple faults. But when you breed two dogs with the same faults you are just asking for trouble. Sadly a lot of breeders do this. :/

16. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

faults arent what working dogs are bred on. there have been dogs that were breed and they were blind lol.

17. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

OH I know this! ^^; I was just trying to explain why working dog men don't really keep an eye on conformation because they breed and produce working dogs that can perform a job.

18. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Bottom line, the most athletic dogs have good conformation. Sai, you know how to fuck wit me offline if you want to.

19. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

That is true. But in the interest of soundness and breed integrity, shouldn't it be a worthy goal to avoid breeding dogs with serious defects? The theoretical best breeding strategy would be to start with dogs from lines that perform. Then use individual dogs within those lines that represent the qualities you want, being careful to avoid breeding two together that have the same conformation (or other) faults.

But what if you had a blind, deaf and dumb dog that somehow performed? That would be a quandary...

20. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

You could teach em to play Pinball...