1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

anyone own american johnson bulldogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by quinny, Feb 9, 2010.

1. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I knew I had never seen the pic before on here,glad the neighbors are gone at least

2. billy hines had some good working bulldogs aswell as dorsy

3. david63

david63 CH Dog

I have seen Don Matthew. AB Hunt hogs all morning long in the swamp . and Art Parkers. AB will hunt hogs all morning too.

4. jhy

jhy Pup

I know Art and he has come down and hog hunted with me and did a little trading on some hog stuff. He and Rick even gave me real nice male pup out of Red Rocks White Boy, that was probably the best looking AB I have ever seen. Hunting all morning is one thing, but going all day in May in Louisiana and Texas takes a real heat tolerant bulldog and it is much harder to find that in a AB than it is a Boudreaux dog.

david63 likes this.
  5. bestia

bestia Big Dog

my good friend american legerndz has working AB's from Hines-Dorsey-Stover-Scott-Painter etc lines. I don't like these big white dogs inbred due to genetic faults. And make sure at least one of the parents has good pigment if they are white. The Dorsey-Stout hounds seem to add the air and heat tolerance since I suspect the Bosshog-Battle Ax, sideburns family have a high % of real pit blood. Some of these dogs look a lot like the old school catchweight Colby dogs like Pincher. I would lean towards that ancestry with curr blood mixed in over the Mayflower bulldog fantasy. I like this video, specially the song. Any of you Cajuns know the name of the song?
    [video=youtube;e_O0khoVR-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_O0khoVR-0&list=FL4CEi1PUf6OVo_FyyZ3MBLA&index=10&feature=plpp_video[/video]

6. Depends on what your wanting out of the dog. I personally have 3 Johnson/bully type dogs. Great guard dogs, and these suckers are just flat out impressive looking. I have no need for a catch dog in my area, although the father of one of my dogs is a catch dog, weightpull titled and a conformation ch. For me the ab's fill the role of a bad ass looking guard. And the pits fill the other roles of a bulldog.

7. AB are great. Depends on what you are looking for. Johnson are great for guard dogs and doing man work. Some get too big ! Also a pure breed one with NKC papers will cost you.

Scott type are more athletic and can do hog hunting and have better breathing.

I own two ABs. American Bulldogs are also on their way to becoming fully accepted into the AKC. So that whole people getting confused with AB and pitbulls might come to an end and I think the American Bully fad is about to blow up in the wrong way.

8. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

My buddy had dogs from Mr. Johnson himself way back when. They were monsters and every territorial around the farm. The male was named 'Mongo' and that name fit him to a T. The female was named 'Mean Irene' and on the outside she was that way but she eventually warmed up to people. The male, not so much.

He also had a Scott bred dog he bought from Alan Scott. He and a buddy from New Jersey did a Scott-Painter cross once as well.

Since hindsight is 20/20 sometimes I think I should have got off the pit bull train way back then and jumped on the AB train. LOL

S

JcLazyX210 likes this.
  9. Yea. They are pretty good dogs. I might dive head first on this American bulldog Train. Specially since they are not really big up north. Might had found my niche.

10. I’ve had American bulldogs. The Johnson ones were good dogs, protective, very strong and great with my family. They tired fairly easily on walks and if too warm they tired out fast.

I like the Scott or hybrid ones better now and the longer snout helps a lot with breathing and warm weather. I even get my Rottweilers with longer snouts (some think they are mixed) since they are athletic and aren’t struggling

11. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

One side of them mutts was started up the way from me... still being bred by the family....

idc about em so I didn't "deep dive" but I'll see which uns they are and what they're going for if anyone is really interested..

12. Strongdog

Strongdog Big Dog

Decided to get back into American bulldogs after a post on here. Looking back at my old male made me want to get back into them. Man it took a while but I found what I was looking for. 0306211007.jpg 0306211006.jpg that's my old male long legs, well put together and no smushed face.

13. Strongdog

Strongdog Big Dog

Bitch just turned a year old and she is everything I wanted. Extremely protective of her family and her land but very stable. 37026.jpeg Screenshot_20230323-220306~2.png now the quest for the right male has begun not really seeing any quality males around. I'm definitely having fun so far. Lot less stress dealing with these.

AGK likes this.