1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone is Central Texas wanting to help out?

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by augustL, May 31, 2009.

1. augustL

augustL Pup

We can always use more foster homes that are passionate and competent about the breed we love. I have 3 foster homes that I fully trust, and they get "pull powers" at shelters. If you can't foster, we always need transporters (we mainly pull from small town shelters that gas dogs), and people to take fosters to and from vet visits. If you do foster, we can provide crates, toys, chain set ups, etc and we cover all vet bills.
    And...if you are looking to adopt, we have a GORGEOUS girl with professional crops that is 5 months old (and we have a bunch of other dogs..)

The other thing I am always recruiting for is foster homes for the pets of battered families. I am the rescue coordinator for the battered womens shelter/rape crisis center that I work at. We have a lot of PBs come in, as well as other strong breeds (GSDs, rotties, etc). I usually end up overwhelmed, because I dont want the bully breeds going to a foster home that doesn't have any experience with bully dogs!
    A large number of women will not leave their abuser for fear their pet will be retaliated against. Also, many of the pets that come into this program are also the victim's of abuse. Abusers will use beloved pets as a source of control in the relationship.
    To be a foster home for the women's shelter, you must pass a national and state-wide background check. However, they are pretty understanding of most things as long as you have a good reason. Surprisingly, we have a large number of employees and volunteers that have domestic violence charges in their background (apparently, abuser's will commmonly make false reports). I think animal abuse or cruelty charges aren't gonna fly, but I know for a fact they don't mind drug charges (:o I was a minor!)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  2. simms

simms CH Dog

Who are you?

3. augustL

augustL Pup

What exactly are you wanting to know? I posted in the introductions.
    I run a American Bulldog/"Pit Bull"/cattle dog rescue based in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and San Marcos. I also work at a battered women's shelter and run a foster program for victims of domestic violence.

4. simms

simms CH Dog

Is augustL the name of your org? Are you currently working with any of the local clubs?

5. augustL

augustL Pup

No, my name is August.
    I will give the name of the organization and the shelter to anyone wanting to help.

6. simms

simms CH Dog

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2009
  7. augustL

augustL Pup

whatever???
    Everyone is always warning others on this site to not share too much information to the "public"
    Groups like dogsbite like to say rescue groups support dog fighters
    I usually have a multiple pit bull household, and this site has not always gotten the best attention (through no fault of the people in charge), so Im not eager to publicize my group's name

I am happy to give all info to anyone interested in helping out through PM

8. simms

simms CH Dog

You threw a smart ass answer up there and whatever is what you got. If your a legit rescue you can post your info.

It's not realy a big deal to me. If you preffer to keep it private than that is your prefference.

9. simms

simms CH Dog

I'm not skeered of dogsbite.org. You shouldn't be either!

10. augustL

augustL Pup

I assume you are talking about "What exactly are you wanting to know?"
    You took that as a smart ass answer.
    "Who are you?" doesn't exactly sound like the most friendly comment either.

I am asking for people's help. Im not trying to keep secrets. Can you not understand why I would want to not post all of my rescues info? I am also working with people from small town city councils about changing euthanasia methods and how they approach adoption. I don't need some crazy, wannabe animal rights activists citing that I am a part of this forum to try and ruin my credibility. I lurk around here a lot. I know the moderators are much stricter now about what gets posted, and I know they do not condone dogfighting. But, I am pretty sure people from dogsbite, etc have saved anything that was posted that even closely resembled a support of dogfighting.

And I CANT post the womens shelter info. I work in a large bureaucracy. I would have to get permission to post their info, but I am welcome to recruit fosters, just not in a public forum without whatever I say approved by the higher ups.

11. augustL

augustL Pup

I am! I would love to be out there giving them hell and giving hell to anyone that pisses me off, but I have too much to lose.
    I have trouble hiding that I am a redneck high school drop out as is when I meet with wealthy little old white ladies. And most of them have their preconceived notions of how pits and their owners are, so I have to work hard to keep my potty mouth under control.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2009
  12. simms

simms CH Dog

I wasn't interested in the womens shelter info.

Dogsbite.org will not ruin your credability with in the metroplex. If you want breed speciffic help then contact all of the speciffic local breed clubs.

You have every reason to stand againts those looney tunes. If you think you cant they WIN then!

13. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

i dont think its unreasonable to ask the rescue's name- far from it really. there are quite a few ~less than desirable~ rescues out there, for me personally-i wont work w/ them. i work w/ credible rescue groups, and they all post their rescues name and contact info/website.
    if you cant at least post the name of the rescue,the most basic of information, i dont think you are going to get much help