1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

American Bulldogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by blueboy08, Mar 26, 2009.

1. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

Hey i know this is a APBT site but do any of you have/had an American Bulldog ? Do you like them ? Would you feed one ? I know some of you say bulldog when referring to APBT why is that ? bellow is a picture of what i think an american bulldog is...

Attached Files:

2. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I had an American Bulldog and I just loved him. Great drive and he was a great guard dog. I have many people in my WP club that have AB and they are really great in the sport.

3. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Never owned one, but, I do like them. The people who got me involved in wp are HUGE into bulldogs. They DOMINATE the UKC in terms of pulling AB.

I second that performance, AB are gooooooooooood at pulling, for shizzle:)

Andrew

4. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

One of my favs along with Patterdales....but I do love me a field dog especially German Shorthaired Pointers, Catahoulas or Vizslas...endless stamina in the bush!

YIS

5. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

Ok so they are good dogs my gf has just recently fallen in love with them so she has expanded our list to AB APBT Rott Corso Argentine Dogo she loves big dogs( i know APBT isnt a big dog lol)... right now im tryin to do process of elemination

6. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Corso's and Dogo's you have to be careful with. So many bad breeders it's hard to find a good one with a good temperament. Lots of fear aggression with those two breeds due to improper breeding. I looked into Dogo's and never found a good breeder here in the states. Maybe I am too picky but when most breeds get here the Americans ##cked them up. I looked into imports on Dogos because here, they tried to hard to tame to dogo and got a bunch of crappy soft fear aggressive dogs. JMO

7. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

In answering your third question (OP) that's what a lot of family's who had APBT on the farm for working dogs years ago referred to them as, just bulldogs. I have seen pictures of old guys with their APBT's and they would say, "That was one good Bulldog." It just carried down I guess. My hubby still refers to them as bulldogs.
    I can see how it is confusing though.

8. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

Preformance i PM you about a dogo and mastiff kennel a friend of mine purchased from a couple times with great results... We actually met a Corso breeder while my gf and i were in lancaster Pa road trip didnt go look at any dogs but recieved contact info and she emails his wife about their breedings only thing is that the only breed once every 2 years. their very selective who the sell to.

9. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Just to put it on the forum, I saw the Dogo kennel and they are a show kennel. They do not work or hunt with the dogs. It's like buying a show line APBT, not the real deal. That's why I had such a hard time finding a Dogo breeder.

10. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

I had an awesome apbt/ab mix we found on the side of the road when I was younger and he was the best family dog/protection we've EVER had...I definitly wouldn't mind owning one again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  11. gotta12v

gotta12v Pup

no offense to anyone but I dont like hearing people lump apbt in with corso's and dogos ect..

having someone say they want either an apbt or a cane is like saying I want either a lab or a chiauhaha (exageration)

most all of the dogs you listed except the apbt are large guardian breeds, and that is one of the biggest issues is getting people to understand an apbt is not a guardian breed, and HA is a fault if you find it in one.

HA apbt should be culled with almost no exceptions and protective apbt should not be a desireable trait.

If you need a family protector or want a guard dog get a shepard or rott or the other you listed.

a true bulldog could easily be stolen right off his chain spot an happily go because they are human friendly and that needs to be the image that is protrayed to the general public.

DA does not equal HA and most of the bad publicity is over HA incidents not dog fighting

12. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I totally agree! I wanted a Dogo as a working dog but also a guardian of the property. The problem now is they are breeding the guardian and hunter out of the Dogo's here in the us.

13. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Hey blue if you want a dogo pm me. I know some guys in MIAMI that have the real deal.They hunt there dogs down in the glade's all the time.

14. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

''they are breeding the guardian and hunter out of the Dogo's here in the us.'...' no perfomance you just need to know wh to look. It's the people behind the dogs there is top notch dogo's in SW FLORIDA.

15. was lookn round and found this site, think they're located in texas. LOOKS like a good working kennel, pup prices range in 1000-1800, sounds alil steep to me but i am not a fancier of that breed and do not know prices.
    http://www.huntingdogos.com/main.asp

16. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

Gotta no offense taken were not lookin for a guard dog? i have plenty of protection in the house ;) these are dogs that we were looking at... not lumping them in a group of dogs to protect the house... these are dogs that we want ! if we had enough land id have all of them in my yard...