1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Am I wrong? (about kids and dogs)

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by lovemybull, Oct 10, 2011.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

So this chick on Facebook that I'm friends with posts a pic of her 2 year son jumping on the back her "pitbull" type dog, while the dog is chewing on a bone. So, this shit kina bothers me and I feel the need to say something. Hey maybe some people don't know that they are dogs that are capable of inflicting damage. :confused:So I said that while her son and dog are cute, its best that a child is taught how to respect a dog. She goes off on me and says that she was bitten by a lab that she owned when she was a child and all she was doing was petting it. And that I only said something because of the type of dog it is.:rolleyes: IMO she should know (esp since she got bit)not to let a child jump on a dog's back, nevermind when he's eating...is not smart . So, was wondering...do you think my opinion is wrong and was also wondering if anyone feels that its ok for a dog to do that?

2. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

While its prob not smart to let a kid do that its plenty of people who know they dog and what he or she will tolerate.But i would also say a bulldog shouldnt be getting aggressive with a kid 4 no reason i dont care what the kid does .

3. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Not the first thread about this subject. I love my dogs, and I love my kids, but I would never leave my kid alone with my dog. And I would tear my kids ass up for jumping on my dogs back. Respect is a 2 way street. Both kids and dogs need to learn tolerance for each other, but not at the kids expense. The first thing you hear out of the mouth of someone whose kid just got bitten in the face by their dog is....he never acted like that before. My dog knows better. I say bullshit, they are animals, and they cannot reason and think things through like people can. They just react.
    Yes you can know what your dog will tolerate, and carefully watch their body language, but it can happen so fast, why take the chance.

4. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

If it happened to me it would be outta the blue because i dont keep no dog in my house that shows aggression towards anyone in my house.No second chances.If u aint 100 the n dont leave the 2(child and dog) unattended.But like u said it can happen fast even in front of your face so why even have a kid around a dog u dont trust 100 even if u there.people dont no they dogs. Kids should never be around exiter biter and the like in the first place attended or not

5. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Thats exactly what I said about that being the first thing ppl say when a kid gets bit. but then she deleted my comments lol.

6. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

oh as 4 your ? No i dont think you were wrong reminding her better safe than sorry.Maybe the way u said it or maybe she just brickheaded

7. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

i don't think when kids are not respecting a dog and the dog bites that its because the dog is agressive. i think its their way of saying, hey leave me alone (seeing as they cant talk). while i trust my dogs and they have never even raised a lip to anyone, i would never allow my kids to be alone with them or disrepect them in any way.

8. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Dont worry about it. You tried. Theres always a chance something can happen and then its to late. Better safe than sorry. I hope nothing happens but the sad thing is if it does the kid will be the one hurt not her dumbass.

9. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

I understand, man,...you just didn't think your answer through before pressing "post quick reply,"...thoughtless posts can happen to anyone.

10. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Seriously,....give this up,.....unless you are from planet Vulcan, are named Spock, and have perfected the friggin' "mind meld" you never ever ever know what another living being,...especially a dog,...will do 100% of the time. So, please, stop giving folks wishful advice that could get some kid hurt.

Trusting my dogs 100% means that I never allow them or my children into situations where any of them can fail.

Allowing your dog to jump on a dog's back...while that dog is eating is dumb as hell. The only thing dumber is being proud enough of the dumbshit to post it on Facebook.

11. bauer

bauer Top Dog

I think you was right to say what you did, some dogs can turn when eating, i let my dogs eat on there own with no kids around...

12. hmots

hmots Big Dog

People that are so ignorant as your friend,believing that her dog would never harm her child is in large part why our breeds recieve bad press. We are talking about dogs here and in the animals eyes the child is a smaller weaker member of 'the pack" and though in common situations will never harm the kid can constrew this as a challange or as simple as one said an irritation. It only takes one mistake and the dog, the child, and the home become a statistic. Responsible ownership and stewardship of the breeds is all of our responcsibility so in responce to your question no you were not wrong in speaking your mind.

13. elibred

elibred Big Dog

i agree i was trying to get a friend of mine to understand that. i mean have people ever seen how dogs get other dogs and pups to leave them alone snarl and snap and that snap can hurt a child pretty bad. like you said its not cause they are HA or even DA just they'er way of communicating and just so happens it with its teeth.

14. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

first off i didnt give no advice to nonbody.Also i if u read u will see that i said he was not wrong in trying to give her the heads up.I never stated that any body body should let they kids disrespect a dog However i demand all my dogs treat my family as they would me and I have never had any that i raised from a pup ever show signs of aggression towards me and mine.I know shit can happen.It Can happen right in front your face too.Yeah i trust my dogs(to be dogs wich also means being loyal to me and mine) 100 if not they wouldnt even be in my house around my kids supervised or not.If u dont trust your dogs and know them well then u stupid 4 having them around kids in the first place supervised or not.My bitch slept at the bottom of my son bed till the day she passed they know whats expected of them they aint wild animals.I repeat Gamebred dont=wild animal.Also my kids know whats expected of them and no the rules also.And this is mostly cause i know that dogs will let them do it and happily take it.Im in know way saying that anybody elses home will/should mimic mine.And im not condoning bad dog ownership and irrespnsibility.But i think yall forgetting that these animals were also bred to be loyal.

15. RRL

RRL Top Dog

A big part of respecting this breed is realizing just how capable they are of inflicting serious damage on an adult not to mention a little kid.I would bet if most people's loyal pit bull turned on them that they would shit their pants.If you own an APBT (or any powerful breed) be prepared to take that dog out if you have to.I love these dogs,but if you come across a manbiter and you panic your in big trouble.A big part of attacks make the news because people don't understand that dogs are not stuffed animal toys.That's my $0.02.

16. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Besides solid temperament, I believe one of the reasons my dogs are so tolerant of my kids is that they are respectful and taught to be since day one. I totally agree on the "respect is a two way street". I think I've used that saying myself on this very topic. lol

17. elibred

elibred Big Dog

and its about how you raise the pup. i intentionally pull and hold ears, tails, paws and legs while they are growing up so they can be used to being poked at and prodded by me the vet and the random amounts of kid cousins that may be over at my house not that i would leave kids unsupervised with my dogs but a lil kid can grab a tail i with like lightning speed even when you are watching.

18. hmots

hmots Big Dog

My point exactly , s#@! happens and it doesnt mean that you did'nt raise the dog right or condition him enough.Any dog, given the right circumstances will snap or nip, That is how dogs communicate. the difference is when our dogs (or any powerfull breed)do it is much more likley to inflict injury than grandma's dachshund.

19. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

You were right to say something. Like another post stated respect is two way street. I disciplined my daughter other day for "kicking" towards one of my dogs. Cause honestly if a dog is abused you can't be upset when it snaps

20. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

my son sometimes in excitement slap my dog, I imediatelly corrected him. also my dog sometime he gets to excited he humps my son. so what I think is u should decipline ur son and dog. it works both ways. ;)