1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A true story

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Fritz, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

<style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language:ZH-CN;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> A true story, and I warn you I'm going to quote from one of my books. Your challenge is to guess who the Padraza character and "the dandy" character are based upon. I was portraying two real dogmen well known to all of you. This "chase" really happened -- and I'll send a book to anyone here who can come up with the names"

Later that afternoon JD and Maureen attended a fight at which JD’s pal Padraza was matched into newcomer Rick Carston’s hard-punishing little “Lazy Boy” dog. Now it turned out that Lazy Boy had virtually wrecked Padraza’s “Patch” and was a mere scratch from being declared the winner – which is to say he had only to charge across and grab hold for the win.

Yet when the referee gave the order, Lazy Boy took one step out of his corner – and stood!

“Go on, boy! Go get ’im. He’s whupped – go on now,” Rick Carston pleaded for his dog to scratch while the referee, ol’ man Farrell again, slowly counted the dog out.

Lots of cheers and groans from the crowd while Padraza, his winning dog already going limp in his arms, rushed him from the pit.

Moments later, his Patch lying deathly still on the bed of his truck, Padraza struggled with getting the IV set up while JD and Maureen watched.

“Touch and go, my friend,” JD observed. But at Padraza’s clumsy efforts to find the vein, Padraza looked helplessly at JD. “Can you do this?” he asked.

Stepping in, JD expertly inserted the needle and taped it in place.

“Stay with me, boy – come on, son,” Padraza said to his winning little dog who’d given his all.

“D’ya give the heart stimulant?” JD asked.

“No effect,” came the answer.

JD shook his head, not a good sign.

Just then the loser, Rick Carston, an intense, gum-snapping twenty-four-year-old, walked his quitter dog nearby, signaling a thumb’s down for him even while giving Padraza a nod of respect.

“Lookit that,” said Padraza. “The loser gets to walk away.”

“Once in awhile it’s like that,” JD answered.

A dandy, dapper in suit and tie, strolled near.

“A good dog – a good game dog,” said the dandy.

JD and Maureen nodded agreement. Sad-eyed, Maureen looked on while JD checked the flow of the IV.

“We’re losing him,” JD said.

Padraza cheered him on at the last, though it’s doubtful the dog heard. “C’mon, boy. Don’t give it up now. Just this one last fight for me.”

Nearest to the dog, JD felt the last breath go out of him.

“He’s gone,” he said.

Padraza put his hand on the dog. Maureen turned aside. JD put his arm around Padraza’s shoulder – “Hey, man... I’m sorry.”

There came from the quite large man who was Padraza a choked little voice: “He out-gamed him. Two hours and he out-gamed him. I could have picked him up sooner. I could have – ”

“He went out a winner, and that’s forever,” JD interrupted almost harshly.

Padraza nodded even while swiping at a tear.

The dandy, still watching, offered “comfort,” saying – “Hell, man, there’ll be another. It’s only a dog.”

Padraza tensed, his head a sudden and flaming beet-roast atop his body.

“Only a dog?!”

The terrified dandy only just managed to escape the lunge! Off and running, he only just managed to keep the truck between himself and the apparently inconsolable Padraza.
    “I’ll cut your fucking heart out, you asshole!” Padraza threatened across the hood of his truck.

“Man, you crazy?” cried the dandy.

And yet another chase around the truck, after which Padraza, moving surprisingly fast for a man his size, propelled himself over the bed of the truck and was but two strides behind the dandy who’d only just managed to dodge into the crowd.

JD and Maureen looked at one another, Maureen wide-eyed, JD with a half-stifled, half-embarrassed little grin on him. Bits and portions of the crowd gawked in the direction of the chase. All was silent save for a distant dandy’s breathlessly on-wing pleas for help, an engine quickly running out of steam while close behind him the strange growlings as from some fire-breathing beast. And so all heads were turned and ears trained toward what seemed the soon and inevitable outcome to be.

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

No clue good enough for me, so I'll take a wag....wild assed guess. Make it a swag.....stupid wild assed guess. LMAO Dapper Dandy is the Indian? Pedraza is Lowry? JD is Coplin? No guess on Maureen. Just guessing wildly. I have others. LOL

3. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

C'mon, guys. I can't be the ONLY one willing to make stupid guesses. LOL

4. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

that was beautiful man im still crying only a dog no respect

5. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

I gave you very little to go on and too much of the extraneous. Neither JD or Maureen enter in at all, just characters in the story. As to "Pedraza" and the "dandy," they're acting out exactly what took place between two well-known dogmen -- very well-known!

"A" lost his dog after a match and was grieving.

"B" made a thoughtless comment: "It's only a dog."

And "A" took it from there.

It's as simple as that -- all the rest is dramatization.

I'll wait a bit, give others a chance to either guess (or remember), and then I'll give you A's and B's initials.

A disclaimer: I wasn't there and can't vouch for the truthfulness of the story. The story did circulate for a time, however, and I never heard it contradicted. Perhaps it's a true tidbit of history, perhaps not -- but at least half a dozen topnotch Texas dogmen were circulating it way back when, presumably right after it had occurred. Personally, I take it as accurate because I'm quoting at least one dogman who claimed to have witnessed it.

Oh, what the hell. It's had quite a few views and you're the only one to have ventured a guess. Pedraza (NH) and the dandy (MC)

Those are their initials.

6. tudor

tudor Big Dog

Mc= carver

Idk about the other

7. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

OK. Norman and Maurice. Never heard the story before, and thank you for it, Maff. But the location helps. So do the initials. I had thought of my old friend, Danny B as the large man. Clayton came to mind, also. But without region reference, I went out West where I know you have done a lot of stompin' around. HAHA

8. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Hooten?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

Damn you're quick! -- and correct!

Hope I haven't opened a sort of can of worms here, relating a tale that might or might not be true. But as I said, I heard about it only just after it had happened -- or supposedly happened. I've no proof, only the word of a few dependable dogmen, one of whom claimed to have witnessed it.

10. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...crap i'm to late...lol...heard the story before off a guy from your side of the pond...mc...one...could'nt think the other...the story reminds me off how many have you/we seen when ,,the hound would win the fight..but lose the match...sad but hounds know nothing off rules....??????

11. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

That's what legendary stories are made of. Most become "enhanced" at least a little over time. I'm sure you were told of it WAY before any enhancement set in though. It was fun. Thanks, Maff.

12. Jamie123

Jamie123 Pup

Great story. I once read a story about one of the first openly gay dogmen go to his truck for Maurice???and later shot and killed someone in ohio and found 70 something dogs at his home I don't remember who it was or where read it. It could've been here but not sure?

13. niko

niko CH Dog

It's sad such a revered dogman would make such a callous remark:(

14. Fritz

Fritz Big Dog

Probably it's all in how it's said. It can be said softly, as if to remind poor Hooten: "It's only a dog. You still have your children."

Or it can be said brutally: "It's only a dog. What are you getting all upset about!"

Said brutally, I'd probably have chased the mofo myself. Ha.

15. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

gotta be here to play i guess -

16. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Great share, thanks Fritz.

17. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

I agree. Ones tone can make a BIG difference in how his message is taken. People have forgotten that it's not always WHAT you said, rather than HOW you said it. I was taught words are very dangerous and to watch what and how I use them. Another powerful way to make your point is body language, sometimes words aren't worth what a good stare or posture is, especially between people who know each other, LOL.

18. niko

niko CH Dog

I dont think he would've reacted that way if he said it nicely...oh well not all dogman are angel's lol

19. old goat

old goat CH Dog

lol not to many would have wanted norman on them .

20. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Your right mud the tone of voice can change the whole meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk