1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A breeder is a breeder is... well, maybe not.

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Vicki, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

From the Blog: For Your Entertainment
    written by John Sibley
    A breeder is a breeder is... well, maybe not.

I'm retiring this sticker from the FYE store, and it's been a long time coming. It's something I used to fervently believe and this sticker was prominently featured on my truck - the dog on it is my dog, Jessie. As with MSN, this is something that initially sounds good and smart and logical to the rescue-minded until you begin to dig deeper and you find out that it isn't necessarily so.

Look, I'm a rescue guy. Hard core. My dogs are all rescues and the idea of purchasing a dog from a breeder is, to me, unfathomable when there are so many that are dying. Then again, I have no real attachment to any particular breed or type (although I seem to always get the Spaniels!), I have no desire to raise a puppy (my dogs are difficult enough), and I could care less about bloodlines, shows, ribbons or papers.

Having worked in rescue for a number of years, first as a volunteer then as a professional, I can tell you that the old notion that adopting a shelter dog is just getting yourself "someone else's problem" is sheer hogwash - and I know that the old myth is dying off among the general public. Oddly, the publicity surrounding the foreclosure crisis helped greatly to accelerate the passing of this stereotype as stories came out in major news outlets of pets sent to shelters through no fault of their own.

That being said, there will always be people who will not consider rescue, and some of those reasons are perfectly legitimate. Some absolutely must have an 8 week old purebred Ring Tail Snodheimer and no other dog will do (no offense to the fans of the noble Ring Tail Snodheimer!), and purebred Ringies don't show up often in rescue and are quickly snapped up when they do. Some want a working dog from known stock. Some want a purebreed puppy from a known bloodline that has been carefully and thoroughly screened for genetic flaws. Some are getting a dog for the first time and want someone who will hold their hand at 3am after their new puppy turns the living room carpet into a poopy Jackson Pollock painting because he got into the garbage after dinner. Who am I to judge? I can and will talk people's ears off about the virtues of rescued dogs, but some people aren't going to listen, and they're going to get dogs elsewhere.

And where, exactly? We're not doing ourselves any favors by alienating good breeders. I'm talking about the ones who do extensive genetic screenings on dogs they breed, who raise them in their homes with love and care and attention, who follow their progress over their lifetimes and always take them back rather than ever letting them enter the shelter system. Many of these breeders also do rescue work (quietly, quietly!) for their chosen breed(s), applying their knowledge to help those animals who do end up in shelters. By vilifying breeders as a whole, we're driving away these people who love animals and dogs and want to help them as much as anyone.

We also face a common enemy in the form of the puppymillers and backyard breeders whom we would all like to see driven out of existence - but by lumping everyone who breeds dogs together, we're not only driving away potentially powerful allies, we're actually driving them to hold their noses and stand together with puppy milling scum with well meaning but over-zealous legislative efforts that target not only soulless puppy millers but caring, dedicated breeders as well.

I don't agree with good breeders on everything, I'm not a market for them, and I hope the customer service of shelters everywhere can improve to compete with theirs. However, I agree with them on a lot more than I disagree with them on, we all have a genuine love for dogs, and we all want to see puppy mills driven out of existence. If we're going to do it, we're going to need to stand together, and I for one will proudly stand beside them to do so.

http://foryourentertainment.blogspot.com/2010/06/breeder-is-breeder-is-well-maybe-not_06.html#links

2. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

LMAO@commen enemy. All that shit he said is just his opinion..........Selling animals is LEGAL and thats a FACT. Buying and selling for a profit IS THEE AMERICAN WAY......The real enemy are the ones trying to stop someone from selling there animals for a profit.

3. stillborn

stillborn Banned

all this energy into animals? what about human compassion? alot of sheople out there with the desire to help yet entertain being hypnotized by fads and the media. human help is all thats needed. animals will always suffer, as a lack of human compassion will guarantee animal neglect and or abuse.

4. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

"We're not doing ourselves any favors by alienating good breeders. I'm talking about the ones who .... who follow their [dogs'] progress over their lifetimes and always take them back rather than ever letting them enter the shelter system."

That right there is my sole definition of a good breeder. Someone who is always willing and ready to take back any dog they bred for any reason. A good breeder should always tell the people that get dogs from them to contact them first if they ever need to get rid of the dog. I believe if you create it, than you are responsible for it for the rest of it's life...even if that means humanely euthanizing it. Period.

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Good post.

6. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Just one more time, good post.

7. cutt

cutt CH Dog

its furmommy talk

8. stratos9

stratos9 Banned

"as a lack of human compassion will guarantee animal neglect and or abuse." QUOTE?? stillborn

I enjoy looking at the way owners keep their animals, do you have any pics of your set-up or maybe a dog or 2. Always looking for better ideas.

9. Ace1

Ace1 Big Dog

Benthere, that is a great point. I have bought from many old time dogmen over the years, trying to find a line tht works for me. I have only met one guy (I'll keep it to myself for fear of others thinking I am advertising for him) who ALWAYS wants back anything I have bought from him. I made him put his money where his mouth was one time and he came through. He gave me full refund after I toldhim I didn't like the dog.. Often I hear the argument about what maskes a peddler. Maybe this is the satndard by which we should judge whether or not one is a peddler.

10. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

Thats the only to be.Anything less is pup peddler.

11. harold

harold Pup

its our god given right to breed the hell out of a dog just cause we want to see what it produces or dont produce the problem begins when we dont deal with the stuff that dont make the grade and pass it down the line any responsible breeder should keep a pistol full of bullets and man up when its time to cull if you cant take out what u brought in then get out yourself

12. who

who Top Dog

I agree with harold.....

13. carstylez

carstylez Pup

umm. id kinda agree with harold..to a degree.. but i think part of the issue is that every harry, dick and tom think just that. That its their god given right to breed their dogs despite not neccessarily having a rats arse of knowledge behind them - not saying this is you - just that there are a lot of people who do. and will tell others to piss off and its their right. I personally dont think one should breed their dogs unless they at least have some idea of genetics and what theyre doing. Its quite scary just how little most breeders know..i guess therin lies the definition between breeder and puppy miller.

14. who

who Top Dog

You say to a degree? Let me guess you never killed a poor specimen? Poodle breeders kill puppies at birth for blemishes!! And some people in this breed won't get rid of those funky a** tailed dogs LMAO let alone stop breeding those cold bitches...... go figure

15. harold

harold Pup

you cant agree with me to a degree you either agree to breed and cull or you dont a good breeder breeds culls then sells some to pay your way and sells some to a fancier who respects your program and wants some knowing that what you breed and cull is the truth if you sell puppies you peddle why is that harold because you let out dogs that you have no idea if they meet your standard son oh yea i see now every man that sells puppies likes the look of his name on paper now your gettin it boy

16. carstylez

carstylez Pup

i havnt. but then i dont say im a breeder. i agree to breed one needs to cull individuals that dont make the cut. Poodle breeders may well cull puppies for having blemishes. much in the same way a doberman breeder would cull for excessive loose skin. thats not what im arguing about. i was saying that many people who breed, shouldnt, and should instead buy from people who know what they're doing.
    just relax a bit..no reason to get all hot n bothered about it.

i agreed with you Harold - what you bring into this world is your responsibility - theres no excuse for not dealing with it.
    what you write is very difficult to understand though as you use no form of grammar whatsoever. full stops are always usefull