1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

12 Month Old *pregnant* Terrier?

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Terrier, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Terrier

Terrier Pup

I took in a 1 year old APBT who seems to be pregnant. I was wondering what the possible effects this could have on her and whether or not she can have a successful litter or will the puppies come out unhealthy? I tried doing some research online but didn't find anything too helpful.

I know very much how to take care of a litter and the expenses and finding good/experienced homes is a must. I just need to know if her litter has a possibility of coming out healthy since she is only a year old and still very much acts like a puppy (overly excited and pee's, high energy/hyper etc.). Also is there a chance that she won't want anything to do with the pups or try to kill them or is this rare for a mother dog to do? Will her motherhood kick in once the pups are born?

Thanks to everyone that can help answer these questions!! Feel free to share some stories of dogs having pups under 2 years of age :)

2. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

she will be fine at that age not a good thing her havin pups that young but it shouldnt be a problem for her as far as her mothering skills your guess is as good as ours you got the dog lol

3. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

The only thing wrong with a year old having pups is you don't know whether she's worth breeding or not but yeah,she should have about as good a chance at having a healthy litter as any other dog.Lot's of dogs her age have pups.As far as being a good mother she may or may not be,same as any other age dog.

4. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Spay/abort would probably be the best option all the way around.

5. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Seriously,it won't hurt her to have the pups.There could always be problems,but that could be with any age dog also.If you don't want the pups get rid of them,it's that simple.What's she bred to?