1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

zimecterin gold

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by labulldoger, Jan 1, 2010.

1. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

1 ml per 4.4 pounds given three days in a row twice a day.

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

If you are going to give out dosages make sure you are clear in what they are for. And it is once a day not twice a day.

The dosage would be for any Panacur/Safeguard/ fenbendazole 100mg/ml. 1 ml per 4.4 or 1.2 ml per 5 pds.

Laced always always check the milligram per ml/cc.

And if you use once a day for 3 days it will treat Roundworms, Hookworms, Whipworms, and the Taenia species of tapeworms (not the most common tape from fleas)

If you were to use it once a day for 5 days it will treat Giardia.

Fenbendazole: can, fel-50 mg/kg PO SID x 3d, bov-5mg/kg PO, av-20 mg/kg PO SID x 3d. 
    Anthelminthic with activity against all nematodes and Taenia cestodes. 

Source
    Veterinary Formulary

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  3. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

what treats the common tape?..... piperizine?

4. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

No

Praziquantel (Drontal) or epsiprantel (Cestex)

5. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

Well I'm sorry my vet recommended twice a day. But correct me if im wrong but isn't it
    recommended that you treat again in two weeks for Giardia.?

6. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Well the Plumb's Veterinary Formulary also says SID (which is once a day) and every vet I have worked for also only used it once a day. But do as your vet instructed you too.

Giardia no you do not redose in 2 weeks. However if confirmed you need to recheck a fecal sample in 2 weeks. But just like a current case. This client has been battling Giardia for 5 months.

However with a confirmed case of hookworms or whipworms you should repeat in 2 weeks.

7. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

I didn't mean to sound like a smart ass cynthia. I was trying to state what he said. I appreciate a more experienced bulldog handlers input.

8. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

LOL!!!!! that's how he is, like it or not. you'll always gets the facts.
    older reply, but good to read you're still kickin Texasbulldogs. =good info as always

9. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Some people also use Equimax. 

Equimax (ivermectin 1.87%/praziquantel 14.03%)

Zimmectrin Gold (ivermectin 1.55%/praziquantel 7.75%) 

The 1% Ivermectin Solution is 10mg per 1ml. 

And the FDA approved dose for Ivermectin for the prevention of Heartworms is 6mcg(micrograms) which equals to 0.006mg (milligrams) per kilogram. 

Now praziquantel dosage for the treatment of tapeworms is 8-14mg per 4.4 pounds. 

Zimmectrin Gold 1 gram (which equals 1cc/ml) you would give 15.5mg of Ivermectin and 77mg of praziquantel. 

Equimax 1 gram (which equals 1cc/ml) you would give 18.7mg of Ivermectin and 140mg of praziquantel. 

Now let's dose a 50pd dog. 

A 50pd dog's FDA approved dosage for ivermectin  is 0.136mg. That is a fraction of a milligram. 

If you are using the 1% Solution at 1/10th (0.10)cc/ml per 10 pounds. For a 50pd dog you would give (0.50cc/ml) which equals to 5mg. And is 36.7 times the FDA approved dose for the prevention of heartworm. However we know that Ivermectin is safe because when treating Demodex you can use 400 - 600mcg per kilogram on a daily basis. 

And a 50pd dog would need 90mg - 159mg of praziquantel. 

Now if you use the Equimax product to get the same dosage of Ivermectin as the 1% Solution (now mind you the 1% Solution is already a really high dose) you would only need 0.26ml/cc. 

Which for the praziquantel in that 0.26ml you would only be getting 36.4mg. Now remember you need 90-159mg to get the effective dose for the treatment of tapeworms. 

Now the Zimmectrin Gold the same dosage as the 1% Solution you would only need 0.32ml. 

And that leaves you with 24.8mg of praziquantel. Again a 50pd dog needs 90 - 159mg to be an effective dose. 

Now can you see why it is difficult to get an accurate dose. And to get an effective dose to treat tapeworms you would be giving WAY to much on the Ivermectin side. 

And those that are giving a pea sized or a index finger size who know how much you are giving if you actually measured it out.

Be educated!

10. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Either was I. And I really did not mean to come across that way. Tone is lost in written word.

I can only speak from my experience. And what I can back up.

Plumbs Veterinary Formulary
    [​IMG]

However this is contradicting what I am saying. But do the instructions that your vet gave you. You will have recourse if something went wrong.

11. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

so you CAN safely overdose a dog with ivomec 1% when doing the .10cc per 10 lbs. when treating for heartworms. i never did what everyone else told me cuz i always remember you sayin that dogmen overdose with that shit on a regular. but its a safe overdose?

12. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

You have to remember an overdose is considered 4x the recommend dosage. While yes the .10ml/cc per 10 pds is considered an overdose and not techically needed at that high of a dose to be effective against heartworm prevention. But it can be given and USUALLY does not have any side effects.

You really don't need that much. But with the 1% Solution you can not get the FDA approved dose without diluting it down. If you were to give a 50pd dog 0.1ml/cc you are giving 1mg. And that equals 1000mcg and they only need 136mcg(micrograms) to effectively prevent heartworms.

In the Veterinary field we dose Ivermectin at 400mcg - 600mcg per kg on a daily basis for demodex mange. And most dogs tolerate it fine.

I post up the facts. So people can make an educated decision. Do you need that high of a dosage of 1mg per 10 pounds (1/10th cc per 10pds) to effectively prevent heartworms. Your answer is no. You can achieve the same result by giving less.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  13. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

shits confusing.....

14. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Lol how? What do you give?

15. sega

sega Big Dog

Cause were men, were not meant to think this hardo

16. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

^^^^^^ lmfao

17. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

Plenty of men Vets as well as other professions that require thinking.

Moral of the story. Do research. Like Tri State said DO THE MATH, and don't blindly use a product because someone else told you to without researching it yourself.

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i buy the safe guard dewormer, havent been treating for heartworm as i live in cali and its not that big of an issue out here although it does happen n i should start payin attention to that shit!