1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Yucky eyes

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by MisanthropeKitty, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Buddha's eyes are seriously gross. They are getting gooky build up in the corners and they are constantly watering.. this just started recently so I am wondering if he has allergies from all the pollen in the air (I live in SC, we have awful pollen seasons) I am keeping them clean just wiping it off with a tissue but my question is does he need to see a vet for this or are there some safe eye drops I can give him to help? Or should I just keep doing what I am doing? My boxer/pit Stevie had really bad allergies when he was a puppy he would get rashes all over and my vet told me to give him Benadryl but I seriously doubt Benadryl would help Buddhas eyes. So any suggestions are welcome. Thanks y'all.

2. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Notch gets gunk and a little bit of watering around this time. I do believe it's the pollen and high grass. Never brought him to the vet about it. He doesn't fine, just by keeping his eyes clean, like you are doing...
    But if you would feel better, then go to the Vet. Never hurts to go (well, besides the wallet).

3. pitbull9704

pitbull9704 Big Dog

it sounds like he's having some serious problems with allergies. I would take him to the vet just to be safe because that could lead to more serious problems with his eyes later...Now if it was just a little watering then I MIGHT not take him to the vet. But since you said that he's getting gooky build-up and they're constantly watering, it's time to see a vet

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I had a dog who had allegies to pollen & the vet recommened benadryl. Worked great. But give it at night though b/c it can make them drowsy.

5. 0ni

0ni Pup

6. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

It COULD also be something more serious which can also cause permanent damage to the eye if not corrected -- entropion or distichiasis. Both are a constant irritation to the eye and pretty miserable for the dog!

Might be worth a trip to the vet to get the right treatment going for him!

Dreamer

7. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Pup

You could also check if its the dog food that is causing allergies , one of my dogs can only have a certain brand of dog food, if he eats a different dog food, he gets gunk all over his eyes.