1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Your Method Of Training

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Suki, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Suki

Suki Guest

Being in the "animal field", this is a topic that comes up a lot: Training.
    Specifically, methods of training. How many here, train by using "treats" as a reward, and how many train using alternate methods?
    The "treats" thing, seems to be a huge issue amongst dog owners that I speak with. Just curious, as I constantly hear both sides...

2. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

it depends on the dogs personality,,,some dogs respond to praise and some with treats. I will use treats if the dog is leary or shy,,a little piece of hotdog and they are my friend for life

3. Attila

Attila Guest

I struggle with this as well I have done it both ways from the biggining. It depended on the dog. Some thrive for attention more than treats. Kind of like me. Any way On most of my pit bulls I use praise and not praise for behaviors. On my Shar-pei I use treats because they like attention but have a very short attention span. However I did use them with baby and gretchen for the first three months and then slowly backed off to nothing I give them a treat every now and then to let them know I still like it that the get their butts in the kennels when I say bet time kennels. All at once they hit the crates and wait for me to close the door. I know not to let seven adult dogs run around unattended. I beliefe that after a year and you're still stuck on the trade treat for action you're way behind. I am steady and unwavering in my methods I not only expect them to do as commanded I demand it. If I have to change the tone of my voice they have learned that the petsmart and friends visit is off for the day. They love thier visits. So I rarely have issues. Except Baby and Bue Bue. Bue Bue is a mess and I suppose it is my fault for babying her like a perma puppy. Getting soft in my years. Any way I believe it is ok to start out using them along with heavey praise then work into just praise. It is better if you can avoid the whole snake thing alltogether because they learn what to do out of pure training not to get a treat. Do what master wants to get a peice of liver treat. ya hoo. any way There you are.

4. PIT_DOMINATION

PIT_DOMINATION Big Dog

i agree with Attila. as puppies and young adults i use treats and lots of praise. then the treats disapear and they only get praise. after awhile they just get to feel good about pleasing their master. i still give them treats and praise from time to time. i also like to train some with the reward being there toy. like when im training them to stay and then come. lot of the time just praise will get the job done.

5. That's a great question, yes i agree it depends on the dog.
    I chopped up Raw Steak's one day, and my dog totally ignored it.
    He's extremely stubborn, he's English Staff x English Bully. I've tried almost everything you can name, treats, tonnes of praise, i've tried wiping bacon fat on my hand, and telling him to "touch" for him to lick my hand just so i can get his attention. I'm even considering clicker training, i defenitely picked the wrong dog to train for obedience LOL, but anyway, i've found a method that i use now, and it works reasonably well, and makes him less stubborn when it comes to giving me his attention. The most important thing, and i can't stress this enough is to make it enjoyable for your dog and form a bond with them, once it becomes a chore you've lost them.
    Basically what i do now, is make it like military training for him and i am strict with him and i don't ever look down into his eyes, i can see from the corner of my eye he is looking at me at ALL times without staring back at him. He's extremely energetic and excitable, praising him causes him to misbehave and get too excitied, a gentle pat when he does something well is sufficient, this is done without looking into his eyes.
    I give his commands in a VERY strong and firm voice, the opposite of gentle.
    When he heels, i march very straight, and make my turns clean, this helps ALOT.
    This works considerably well for him, i think it's up to the trainer to tailor their training methods to the individual needs of the dog, i believe this is what makes a good trainer. Remember, nothing works without consistency. Any dog can learn, a bit of trial and error and hard work is all it takes:) hope this helps some, thanks for your time.

Jared

6. Depending on the dog, because some of ours respond better to ONLY voice...soft like (for praise) and very firm (when they have done bad) We start teaching at puppies with the voice.....then afterwards depending on hpw they continue to react depends on our next move....continuing to use voice or moving along to the treats.....between the two...it always gets the job done around here! I have a dog (not a pitbull) that I have never given a treat to for doing a good job or being a good boy! I have taught him through voice only, and I tell you what that little is smartest most responsive dog I have ever known!

7. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

I use treats and toys (ball and tug toy). You have to know what motivates your dog, Boss is food motivated, and in some instances, toy motivated. Some commands he no longers gets treats for doing, such as sit and down, but almost everything else is rewarded with a treat or toy.

8. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I use treats, toys and voice. Of course with treats, I mix it up and don't give treats everytime.

9. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

I will use a toy over food if I can, but it all depends on the dog and what is to be expected of the dog. What I like about using a toy is that they learn the better they work, the faster they get it and the faster they let it go when told so, the faster they get it back. I use the toy almost exclusively with Sweetie (I am trying to train her to Schutzhund standards, without the personal protection part, so I need a LOT of drive and spunk from her) unless we are inside or am working on a position trick (like 'take a bow') when it is easier to move them into position with a treat. But she doesn't work just for the ball or tug, she works for me because she loves me and has the desire to do so, the toy is just a fun part of it to keep her spirits up and make her have fun. When I train there is a lot of praise, upbeat happy voice. And she loves training. To me, that is what is most important. That the dog doesn't get bored and enjoys itself each time you go to the training feild.

10. asaj

asaj Big Dog

I never use treats when I train my dogs, not even when the are pups. I understand if people are using them when the dog is small, but not on an adult dog. Praise and love is what I use, it takes perhaps longer time to train them,
    but I refuse to run around with treats in my pocket for my dogs to listen to me.

11. I second that one! It almost seems like bribing your dog to do something good....I ONLY do it If I have too!

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Depends on what I'm training for. I use treats for most things, but not weight pull.

13. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

I use treats, Priase, and correction witha prong collar. That is what has given me the best results so far.

14. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

If I'm in the mood to give treats out, I'll have the dog perform a command. If I don't have any treats, they perform anyways ( or I'll make them ). I think that treats are a great lure to start pups on, but a dog needs to listen whether you have treats or not and if they don't, you're doing something wrong. There was a study that proved rewarding inconsistantly is most affective ( instead of always giving rewards, or never ). I guess the curiosity and anticipation is a motivator for the dogs. Makes sense to me, I think I work that way too!

Corrections are key, how else would a dog ever know what you want?

15. i have always used just a kind word,pat on the head,and a little piece of something tasty for them to eat and hasnt failed me yet.now if they do something really bad i usually smack em on the butt like you would a child and say no in a stern voice and as a rule they never do it again.but i reserve that for something really bad,most of the time they know by the tone of my voice that they have done something wrong and are in trouble.

16. i only use voice affirmation.. treats are given at times when unexpected and they never get house food , makes them beggers and will steal food ..i only use negative feedback when they are really really wrong . as they are eager to please me, only when bad do i use the naughty dog tone.. they are smart too , once fooled me , acted like she wanted out , when i went to open door , she headed straight back to my sammich and got it and ran.. so , no house food has put an end to that matter.. no begging either.. when im having dinner they are all in their individual beds not even looking.. but then , i train for all kinds of needs.. if i drop something , i say please get that for me and they do.. or get in tub your bath is ready and they will on their own.. and wait.. ive been training forever .. as you know by reading some of my posts the hardest thing im dealing with is the fence jumping deal... got shock collars and electric containment system on the way..whew..just in time too.. baby has skin problems with the chain materials..thanx for you guys help to me , its appreciated

17. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

I used to use treats during all kinds of training for my dog.. But after reading the book by dog whisperer, I started not to. The dog whisperer is damn good. Ive learned that You are the leader of the pack. You dont reward the dog for doing something he suppose to do like stay or sit..

18. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I have used the treat method, but it has been along time. I use the moma dog method, and as long as I am consistant with this, it works very well. I mama dog will be very firm, and very loving. I use the pack instinct in the dog and bond in a protective loving alpha dog way, and the dog will lay down it's life for me! In the rare instances that this has not worked, I cull(I have raised several to grown that were unresponsive, and have come to the conclusion that it is a genetic trait that is undesirable for me). I dont, however, expect one of my dogs to be able to allow other dogs to growl and snap at them and them take it(as the petco incident), this is unnatural for any dog, and especially one of ours. However, I have a female that has been in a few situations with other dogs and simply by calling her name and giving the command, she has stopped in the middle of aggression and laid down!! Which I find extra ordinary! Most of the bulldogs I have had once they got into the..."zone", simple commands didn't do anything to get them off the "opponent", hence the need for breaking sticks. So, I am very interested to see if this will be a transferrible trait, or if it was a "fluke"!!
    J
    <><