1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

youngest age to start feeding puppies

Discussion in 'Whelping' started by bulldog426, Feb 13, 2009.

1. bulldog426

bulldog426 Big Dog

i've heard some say 3 weeks, and i've heard some say five, i've always done it at 5 start feeding canned puppy food, but it's my best jip and the least strain on her the better... they will be 3weeks saturday, and was wondering how soon i can start feeding canned puppy food, and i was thinking feed that powder puppy milk with it.. the less they are feeding off my jip the better...

2. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

You can start pups on mush pretty much as early as 2 weeks. I used to soften the dry and mash it up. Canned would probably be easier to prepare but since I don't feed canned I never thought about it.

3. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

i al ways startthem when they start chewing on things .canned food always got messy nuke dry pup food whith water

4. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

we start with canned puppy food mixed with puppy formula @ 3 weeks. then we gradually mix in softened dry food. we add less and less canned food until it's just softened dry food. then we make the dry food harder and harder until it's just plain dry puppy food. this has worked well with our pups. usually by the time the food is just dry food they are about 7 weeks and ready to wean from the mother. i do know people that will add canned kitten food to the dry food until they are 3 months. i've found if you do not ration this properly it'll be too rich and cause diarrhea. if it's done properly though, the pups are nice and plump and healthy. i don't like to take the risk of causing diarrhea though so i've just stuck to what i know works.