1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

you fellas up north

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by popper, Feb 11, 2010.

1. popper

popper CH Dog

what yall do for the dogs that are outside to combat the cold? at which point do you have to take em in , at what temp? its getting in the 30's tonight with some wind and me and my dogs are freezing .

2. venom

venom Top Dog

at 30 degrees your dogs should be good, if u can turn your houses away from the wind and stuff em with straw. they'll wait it out. guess it depends on how their shelter is built though. some are better than others for winter weather.

3. venom

venom Top Dog

if it gets below 15 degrees without windchill you should bring em in. if you dont have nothin to battle the elements or anything to help insulate then id bring em in once it gets cold enough to snow. it just depends what you have to protect them.

4. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

make the hole as small as possible,paint the barrel half black and turn it up facing the sun (absorbs heat) stuff the shit out of the barrel with straw daily. Keep em fat and well watered and thats about it. I kept almost 20 dogs outside all year round in MI in an open field with no wind blockers. Never had a problem due to the cold.

I would rather deal with the cold than extreme heat.

5. venom

venom Top Dog

yeah, its easier to combat cold. i'm from michigan too, the winters can be rough. If u can find a way to keep the dogs off the ground, stuff with straw, and keep em fat they will make it threw nights, change water a couple times a day when its light out and check ears and feet. if its any problems these will be the first place to show signs of frostbite.

6. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

yeah the ears and feet r good the dogs good

7. popper

popper CH Dog

i agree.. here in La its gets so humid during the summer, then the bugs start coming out ..... its a pain

8. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

the better the quality of your wood the warmer the house,

*eg. (1 '' thick rough barn board, or , 1/4' plywood) i like the convenience of plywood, so i use plywood and I'm in Canada. but you can and it requires less body heat to keep warm, but a oldtimer told me," acclimate them to to warm a temperature and they would never last a night in the bush on a cold night(they get hypothermia). That was for hounds tho.

Good "Horse Quality" Straw, Draft Free, Door Flap, Good Feed,Lots of water,and the House MUST MUST be on a skid or the ground will suck the heat right out of them!

9. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

straw warm water mixed in with there food and a good shelter

10. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

insulate with great stuff spray foam... its the best

11. peppapig

peppapig Banned

15 degrees??..celcius?...is that it??.....i

12. Deniz

Deniz Big Dog

I think he means fahrenheit. Thats -9 degrees celsius.