1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another recall (4/19)

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Suki, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Suki

Suki Guest

More Articles On The Recalled Food

is your head spinning yet, or what?!!!!!!

U.S. confirms its suspicions on pet food [​IMG]
    International Herald Tribune - Apr 20 6:56 AM Chinese-made ingredients used in pet food may have been intentionally spiked with an industrial chemical to increase their apparent protein content, the U.S. officials said.

Melamine in pet food may not be accidental [​IMG]
    USA Today - Apr 20 7:15 AM A nitrogen-rich chemical used to make plastic and sometimes as a fertilizer may have been deliberately added to an ingredient in pet food that has sickened and killed cats and dogs across the country, public and private officials say. A leading theory is that it was added to fake higher protein levels.

Another Pet Food Ingredient Is Contaminated by Chemical [​IMG]
    Washington Post - Apr 20 12:31 AM The industrial chemical that led to a nationwide recall of cat and dog food has been found in another pet food ingredient imported from China, and in corn gluten sent to South Africa.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/19/AR2007041902590.html

Another Pet Food Ingredient Is Contaminated by Chemical

By Patricia Sullivan
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, April 20, 2007; Page A08

The industrial chemical that led to a nationwide recall of cat and dog food has been found in another pet food ingredient imported from China, and in [font=Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]corn gluten[/font] sent to South Africa.

Melamine-tainted rice protein was used by five pet food makers, including Natural Balance Pet Foods, which recalled some lines Monday, and Blue Buffalo Co., which yesterday recalled its Spa Select Kitten dry food. Royal Canin South Africa recalled some of its dog food that used Chinese-made corn gluten.

Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) plans to introduce a bill addressing the FDA's oversight of food safety. (By Lauren Victoria Burke -- Associated Press)

Melamine, strongly suspected of causing kidney and liver failure in cats and dogs, was previously found in wheat gluten.

The Food and Drug Administration, which has increased its surveillance of pet food imports from China, has not been able to obtain visas for its investigators who want to visit the Chinese plants where the melamine-tainted bulk foods are believed to have originated. One theory investigators will pursue is whether melamine was deliberately added to boost the protein content, potentially making the bulk foods more valuable, FDA officials said.

Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) and Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) said Wednesday that FDA Commissioner Andrew C. von Eschenbach told them that the agency has twice asked for an invitation letter from the Chinese government, necessary to obtain the visas, without success.

"The fact that the Chinese are refusing to cooperate really is unacceptable," Durbin said. "If they won't cooperate at this level, it raises questions about all their exports to the United States."

Durbin and DeLauro, who plans to introduce bills addressing the FDA's oversight of food safety, sought the intervention of the Chinese ambassador in a letter pointing out that the United States imported $2.1 billion in agricultural products from China last year.

"At the moment, we don't have any ties in to the human food supplies, but every day we see another recurrence of pet food recall," DeLauro said. "The Chinese have a very poor record in their plans to control food contamination."

FDA officials said yesterday that the agency is investigating a report that tainted pet food was fed to hogs, possibly bound for the human food market. No melamine contamination of human food has been uncovered during the monthlong pet food scare, but it's a topic that federal officials worry about.

So much food -- for both pets and humans -- is imported that the FDA cannot inspect it all, although inspections routinely turn up fish, vegetables, fruits and other foods unfit for consumption. Imports account for 13 percent of the average American's annual diet, but only 1.3 percent receive even cursory inspection. In addition, many imported grains are not identified as meeting either human or animal standards.

No one knows how many animals have died as a result of the current pet food contamination, but the latest numbers from the Oregon state veterinary office and the Michigan veterinary association connect 96 deaths of dogs and cats to the pet food scare.

The recalls began March 16 after Menu Foods reported the deaths of dogs and cats to the FDA. The Canadian company makes more than 100 brands, with so many variations that the FDA has a searchable index and a downloadable spreadsheet with 5,500 items at http://www.fda.gov

One organization is listing pet foods that have not been recalled at http://www.thepetfoodlist.com

The latest expansion of the pet food recall occurred early yesterday when a San Francisco distributor, Wilbur-Ellis Co., recalled 181 metric tons of rice protein concentrate after it tested positive for melamine.

The concentrate came from Binzhou Futian Biology Technology Co. Wilbur-Ellis Chief Executive John Thacher said the April 4 shipment contained 145 white bags of rice protein concentrate and one pink bag. While the pink bag was labeled "melamine," it contained rice protein concentrate. The Chinese said that apparently it was used when the proper bag broke, Thacher said. Melamine residue contaminated the rice protein, and not just in the pink bag, FDA officials said yesterday.

2. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I didn't see this one posted yet and even though no one here probably feeds this, I figured I'd go ahead anyway...

Royal Canin USA recalls foods containing rice protein

From the Royal Canin USA website:

April 19, 2007

Dear Royal Canin USA Customer,

It is with sincere regret that I inform you of a new and unfortunate development with some of our pet food products.

Although we have no confirmed cases of illness in pets, we have decided to voluntarily remove the following dry pet food products that contain rice protein concentrate due to the presence of a melamine derivative.

ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICE® (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

Dry Dog Food
    - Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior
    - Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy
    - Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult
    - Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior
    - Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET™ (available only in veterinary clinics)

Dry Dog Food
    - Canine Early Cardiac EC 22™
    - Canine Skin Support SS21™

Dry Cat Food
    - Feline Hypoallergenic HP23™

We are taking this proactive stance to voluntarily recall these products to avoid any confusion for our customers about which Royal Canin USA products are safe and which products may be affected.

Pet owners should immediately stop feeding their pets the Royal Canin USA dry pet food products listed above. Pet owners should consult with a veterinarian if they are concerned about the health of their pet. No other Royal Canin diets are affected by this recall and CONTINUE TO BE safe for pets to eat.

In addition, Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of our vegetable proteins.

This decision to recall some of our dry pet food products is driven by our philosophy that the “Pet Comes First”. The safety and nutritional quality of our pet food is Royal Canin USA’s top priority. Pet owners who have questions about this recall and other Royal Canin USA products should call 1-800-592-6687.

On behalf of the entire Royal Canin family, our hearts go out to the pet owners and everyone in the pet community who have been affected by all of the recent recalls. We are as passionate about the health and happiness of our customers’ pets as we are of our own, so we are committed to taking the steps necessary to ensure this never happens again.

Sincerely,

Olivier Amice
    President and CEO
    Royal Canin USA

Additional Information

Which products are being recalled?

ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICE® (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

Dry Dog Food
    - Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior
    - Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy
    - Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult
    - Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior
    - Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET™ (available in veterinary clinics)

Dry Dog Food
    - Canine Early Cardiac EC 22™
    - Canine Skin Support SS21™

Dry Cat Food
    - Feline Hypoallergenic HP23™

Should I keep feeding these diets to my pet?

Pet owners should immediately stop feeding the recalled diets.

What should I do if I am concerned about my pet’s health?

Pet owners who are concerned about their pet’s health should visit their vet.

What do I do with the food that I still have?

You may return it to your place of purchase or dispose of it with your normal garbage removal.

How can I be reimbursed for the food that I have?

You may return it to your place of purchase, or you may call us at 1-800-592-6687 for a replacement or refund. Please save the UPC code from the back or side of the bag to verify your purchase.

Are any other Royal Canin products affected by this recall?

No other Royal Canin diets are affected by this recall and continue to be safe for pets to eat.

What should I do if I have more questions?

Please do not hesitate to call our Technical Services group at 1-800-592-6687.

3. Suki

Suki Guest

and:
    http://www.avma.org/press/releases/070419_petfoodrecall.asp

edit to add:
    FDA Mulls Motive In Pet Food Case [​IMG]
    CBS News - Apr 20 4:30 AM Investigators are considering a theory that melamine might have been added to a pet food ingredient ? to make protein content appear larger. Melamine meanwhile has turned up at a hog farm in California, now under quarantine.

Pet food kills 30 dogs in South Africa [​IMG]
    Seattle Times - 1 hour, 42 minutes ago Pet food laced with an industrial chemical traced to China has killed 30 dogs in South Africa, the country's veterinary association said...

edit to add:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  4. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

<TABLE class=bordercolor style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=windowbg vAlign=top align=left>Chemical found in state hogs
    By Carrie Peyton Dahlberg - Bee Staff Writer
    Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, April 20, 2007

The chemical linked to cat and dog deaths on two continents has made it into pig feed and perhaps onto California tables, with state agricultural officials announcing late Thursday they've quarantined a Ceres hog farm where lab tests showed melamine in pig urine.

"The farm is cooperating with us to determine the disposition of all animals that have left the premises since April 3," Richard Breitmeyer, the state veterinarian, said in a prepared statement. That's the first time melamine-tainted food is known to have been shipped to the farm.

He said the 1,500-animal American Hog Farm was quarantined "out of an abundance of caution."

Melamine has caused tumors in rats and shouldn't be used in animal feed, according to toxicologists.

The farm sells to both private individuals and others whom the state declined to identify, saying it is still investigating what happened to the pork. The state Health Services Department is urging people who bought pigs from the farm not to eat the meat until further notice.

So far, "evidence suggests a minimal health risk" to people who have consumed it, Dr. Mark Horton, the state's public health officer, said in the same press release.

The theory that Chinese suppliers put melamine in starches to boost their protein content, and thus command higher prices, becomes increasingly credible as melamine is found in more ingredients, said Stephen Sundlof, head of the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine.

The FDA wants to probe that and other theories by inspecting Chinese factories, but Chinese officials have not allowed their entry, Michael Rogers, FDA's field investigations director, said Thursday.

"A number of letters" have been sent to China, Rogers said, adding that he expects Chinese officials will cooperate.

The FDA wants to learn how widely melamine has spread and which other products it might have contaminated.

That question became more urgent Thursday with reports from South Africa that corn gluten in Royal Canin pet foods there was contaminated with melamine, killing about 30 pets. The Web site for Royal Canin U.S. announced an eight-product recall late Thursday.

The South Africa report brings to three the number of Chinese products with melamine contamination -- wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate and corn gluten.

Veterinarians and nutritionists said that other potential targets for tampering could include whey protein isolate, soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, soy grits and soy lecithin.

All are pet food ingredients valued for the protein punch that they pack.

The melamine at the quarantined hog farm apparently came from salvage pet food sold as pig feed by Diamond Pet Food's Lathrop plant, the state said. Diamond had gotten rice protein imported from China by a San Francisco distributor who recalled it on Wednesday because of melamine content.

A man who answered the phone for the American Hog Farm late Thursday declined to comment, the Associated Press reported.

What little is known about melamine suggests its cancer-causing effects are limited. In studies, melamine caused bladder tumors in male rats but not in female rats and not in mice of either gender, said Dr. Stephen McCurdy, a UC Davis Medical School professor of public health sciences.

"I wouldn't argue that it's safe or that people should take a lackadaisical attitude toward their exposure," McCurdy said, but there's insufficient evidence whether it may cause cancer in humans.

Since the first U.S. recall more than a month ago, thousands of products from 100 brands have been yanked from the market. Thousands of dog and cat deaths are suspected.

The FDA has gotten about 15,000 consumer calls.

In the latest pet food recall Thursday, Blue Buffalo company pulled back its Spa Select Kitten dry food, in bags stamped "Best Used By Mar. 07 08 B."

The FDA confirmed Blue Buffalo was one of five companies that received rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis, a San Francisco distributor that recalled the ingredient late Wednesday night.

The company has shipped 155 metric tons of the suspect rice protein to five pet food makers since July. Neither Wilbur-Ellis nor the FDA would name them.

The FDA is checking which companies put the rice protein into pet foods. It expects those companies to issue their own recalls, Rogers said.

As the melamine investigations widen, a question haunting pet owners and regulators is how early the first tainted foods reached consumers, and whether previous episodes of contamination passed unnoticed.

"I am not so sure that this phenomenon is new," said Yorba Linda veterinarian Elizabeth Hodgkins.

"I honestly think pet foods have been making dogs and cats sick for a long time," she said.

Hodgkins, who testified at a congressional hearing last week, said it's less complicated to cook at home for dogs than pet food companies want people to believe. Home cooking for cats is a little more complex, she said, and people should seek advice.

Some vets recommend home cooking -- with professional nutritional guidance -- or specialty brands that avoid additives, at least until sources of contamination are tracked and eliminated.

Alternative pet food companies report being swamped.

In Elk Grove, Sheryl Gunter had about 35 people turn out for a free course on cooking for pets at her store, Corner Pet.

The Honest Kitchen, a San Diego pet food company, stepped up production and hired a person just to handle calls.

"We've seen about a fourfold increase in sales in the last four weeks," said Lucy Postins, who helped found the firm.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg vAlign=bottom>Back to top </TD><TD class=windowbg vAlign=bottom align=left>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

Re: More Articles On The Recalled Food

I feel so bad for all the people whos pets are getting sick. I know I had some recalled canned food Thank god I hadnt gotten to it yet so the dogs hadnt ate any. I switched them to Nature's Recipe after that and just went on thier site and it says none of thier products have been recalled.

6. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I looked through the list, but I'm not sure if I missed anything...
    Anyone know if tractor supply, "Retreiver Hi-Protein" has been recalled or anything...
    Do you know how I could find out?

7. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

What the fuck?bashing their own dogs to death wasnt enough?now they have to kill ours too?:mad: