1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Jackets

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by purplepig, Nov 8, 2006.

1. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Have any of you ever had your dog get tore up with yellowJackets?

2. Attila

Attila Guest

yes give em benadryl to ease the reaction and limit the swelling. Watch for signs of labored breathing and irregular heart rate. Those are signs of repratory distress. In that case get that dog to the vet and fast. A single bee can kill me if I don't tend to it. Some dogs are allergic to them as well. Most are not.

And kill them damn bee's before they get one of the kids. I hate bee's almost as much as cats. Maybe the same.

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I had one who found a hornets nest in his house. It wasn't pretty.

Dexamethasone & lots of Benadryl (on Benadryl for about 10-14 days). ;) (I also gave my dog a dose of Pen for 3 days--combo shot w/the Dex--to ward off infection)

4. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Yea, I am thinking some Penecillin is in order!! The hair is coming off where they got her in spots. She is acting normal, just the visual. I cleaned the spots real good, squeezed them and put peroxide on them, then ferazone(however you spell it) and I may start her on Pen tomorrow just in case. Them yellow jackets aint nothin to play with, they have gottom me when mowing and run over a nest. They nest up in a very small hole in the ground. I have found the hole and now I am thinkin gas in the hole at sunset!! I have NEVER been stung by a yellowjacket in my whole life till I moved to this house, and now have been stung several times. I mean, they have landed all over cokes and such when I worked construction, but never stung, but baby, dont mess with their home, they'll come out in droves!!! Feels like a baseball hit you. My cousin said he ran over a bumble bee nest while bushhogging one day and said they are worse than hornets!! I didnt think they sting, but apparently mess with their home and Johnney's gona get you!!LOL

Thnx for the advise, this is a new one on me!!

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Not a "swarm" of them, just one. Swelled up pretty good, Benadryl and flushing the area out for a few days worked fine. It was in the mouth, dog snapped at it in the air, and tried to eat it :rollseyes:

6. truegames

truegames Big Dog

My brother had a chocolate lab that did the same thing with a wasp her whole muzzle swelled up and she wouldn't eat or drink so he took her to the vet and she was kept there for a couple of days.

7. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

LOL!! I'd say....a good 12 got her!!! mainly hairloss in the sting spots, no swelling. Peroxide pulled some junk out, but she is acting normal, hated the medicine more than the stings, the way she acted anyway!!

8. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Last year Big Girl got ahold of something, I'm not sure if it was a wasp or bee or what but her whole face and throat was swollen so I rushed her to the emergency vet (because this kind of stuff only happens AFTER HOURS) and they gave her a shot of steroids and antihistamine and the vet told me to give her a benadryl every day twice a day for two days. I was also told since she obviously has an allergic reaction to keep Benadryl on hand. Once the swelling went down the immediate area where the sting occured looked like a blister.