1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

WSK oredered to pay for care of confesicated Dogs

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by raided2, Jan 10, 2009.

1. raided2

raided2 Big Dog

Order filed for cost of seized dogs
    by Jule Hubbard

Wilkes County government could soon be the owner of 127 pit bulls seized on Dec. 10 as evidence in a case involving dog fighting.

Chief District Court Judge Mitchell McLean ruled in Wilkes District Court Thursday that the current owner of the dogs, Edward A. Faron of Mertie Road in the Millers Creek area, must pay for the first two months of their housing and other care.

McLean issued the order in a hearing held in connection with Wilkes County Attorney Tony Triplett's "petition for bond" seeking the payment from Faron, 61, charged with felony dog fighting and baiting by the Wilkes Sheriff's Department.

In accordance with state law for this type of proceeding, McLean ordered Faron to pay the money within five business days. It means Faron has until Thursday to pay $52,925, with the money going to Wilkes County government. This includes $36,797 for the first 30 days of care for the dogs, which ends Saturday, and $16,128 as the estimated cost for the next 30 days.

Also in accordance with state law, McLean ordered that the dogs be forfeited to the County of Wilkes and that Faron give up ownership if the money isn’t paid in five business days.

Attorney Brendan Edge, appointed by the courts to represent Faron, said Faron didn’t have the money to pay the $52,925. Faron was present but didn’t speak in court and Edge didn’t make statements for or against the action filed by Triplett.

McLean also ordered that the county continue holding all of the dogs as evidence in the case.

Wilkes Animal Control Director Junior Simmons, who attended the hearing, said earlier that the dogs were being kept as evidence at an undisclosed location until completion of court proceedings in the case. Simmons and other officials haven’t been willing to say where the dogs were being kept due to concerns about possible action by animal rights groups and other security issues.

Faced with the likelihood of county government having to pay for upkeep of the dogs because of Edge’s statement about Faron’s inability to pay, said Triplett, county government officials are talking to the U.S. Humane Society about that nonprofit helping with the cost.

“We are talking with the (U.S.) Humane Society about whether they potentially have funds available that could help offset all or a portion” of the costs of caring for the dogs.

Assistant District Attorney Fred Bauer, prosecutor for the state in the case, said the district attorney’s office was considering county government’s financial burden in planning a trial date in the case. Bauer said authorities are still looking at the possibility of additional charges.

Triplett said the petition was filed on behalf of the Wilkes Animal Control Department. He said that under state statutes, a judge can allow the filing of a new affidavit every 30 days assessing the costs of boarding the animal to a defendant.

Under statutes, said Triplett, Faron could be required to pay the boarding costs even if he won the case.

Simmons said that if the state won the case, the dogs would be euthanized, as called for under the county’s Animal Control Ordinance. He said this was based on the dogs being trained and used for fighting, which he said meant they were considered dangerous.

Arrested at the same time as Faron on Dec. 10 on one felony count each of dog fighting and baiting were Don Juan Casanova, 18, and Amanda Grace Lunsford, 25.

Attorneys were appointed for Faron, Casanova and Ms. Lunsford in Wilkes District Court on Friday. All three have been released from custody under secured bonds of $2,500 each. If convicted, they could be sentenced to between four and 10 months in prison.

Law enforcement officials said the investigation led them to believe Faron was one of the nation’s largest breeders of pit bulls used for fighting, but that authorities have no evidence indicating organized dog fighting occurred on or near the Wildside Kennels property.

Wilkes Sheriff Dane Mastin said the charges were filed under a section of a state dog fighting statute that makes it illegal to possess or provide dogs for dog fighting. “Baiting” refers to harassing a tethered animal.

Mastin said the charges culminated a three-year investigation involving his department, the Wilkes Animal Control Department and the Humane Society of the United States. Pima aniaml Control tried making me pay 47,670.00$ dollars for my dogs but luckily I don't think the judge bought into it :):)

2. >BLAZE<

>BLAZE< Big Dog

bullsh:rolleyes:t

3. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

If they couldn't care for the dogs then what the **** did they take them for?! Pay the costs, Mr. Faron. Then when you win I hope you turn around and sue them into bankruptcy

4. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

This whole story is just f**ked up! 52 stacks to take care of 120 some dogs for 2 months? WTF kind of care are they getting? Are they all set up in penthouse suites with there own personal chefs and doggie spa treatments for there emotional distress? I think the goverment is getting a bit too much authority in peoples buisness these days. They want to make examples out of people and they are winning.............................
    Well this just pisses me off royaly, but what can you do? My heart and prayers goes out to ed, and don hope they can come out on top of this situation however it isn't looking too good. What has this country become when just because of the breed of dog you love gives the goverment the right to take what is rightfully yours and do with it what they want, whether they have a case or not. Obviously the goverment has caught all the murders, rapists and pedophiles so they have nothing beter to do with there time but to go after dog breeders!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
  5. Marty

Marty Guest

They don't give a damn there out to kill the dogs bottom line, they don't understand the breed they strive off the media... the reall APBT was breed this way,

-Are Pit Bulls naturally aggressive towards humans?
    While many Pit Bulls do tend to be aggressive towards other DOGS (as are most terriers), the normal, well raised Pit Bull has NO human-aggressive tendencies! In fact, human-aggression was actually bred out of the breed.

6. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Re: WSK ordered to pay for care of confiscated Dogs

what are they planing to feed dogs caviar

7. raided2

raided2 Big Dog

Listen even if Ed paid for the care of his dogs he still can't have them as with our case we were ordered to pay a bond for me in ecxess of 47,00 dollare the Patricks 62,000$ but you still can't have any custody of them as a court order for animal cruelity charges so you pay the money then what you still can't have your dogs back legally untill you win ,or you loose and you have to hire a civil laywer to try and save your dogs and keep them from biegn euthanised,because Public defenders won't deal with the forfeiture as the State will only pay Public Defenders to fight the feloony ,then ultamateley work on a plea as the Public Defenders aren'tgoing to bite the hand that feeds them and win and in the case here in Pima County one of the co-defendants did hire a civil attorney to fight for his animals to stay alive,but while they were still in appeals court they were killed and to this day no-one knows why or who gave the order I would like to know what is so Humane about the Humane Society as they have been known to kill ferral cats with hammers ,and they talk about MIchael Vick ,they are 100 x's worse as in the last 3 years alone the HSUS has killed more than 350 + dogs with no consequnce even when the owners are found to be innocent and their tally keeps climbing ,I hope they post this on Dogsbote leave this site and Stop BSL alone and look at their role modelsJohn Goodwin a high scholl drop out and know terrorist come on you lurker spost this on your site as you are so intent on posting what I Stop BSL and the owner of this sight post ,tell you what post only what I say as you have allready ruined me and leave stop BSL and this ste alone !

8. elgin64

elgin64 Pup

Thats really F'd up

9. Marty

Marty Guest

10. raided2

raided2 Big Dog

Marty you and Stop BSl and a couple of other folks I don't want to drag int6o the spotlight have more for this breed and trying to do something positive than 99% of the bulldogg owners out there I wish we had a hundred like you and Stop BSL and friends as this would never have gone as far as it has !