1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

would you reccomend raw chicken breast?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ssk_pitbulls, Jul 20, 2007.

1. would you reccomend raw chicken breast? and what would be too young to give it to them? it's raw, boneless and skinless. thinking about switching to completely raw diet.

2. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

I feed raw chicken once or twice a week, but not boneless, skinnless I can barely afford that for myself lol. Wal-Mart sells a 5 lb. bag for $4.68 or so, it is legs and thighs (I think). And I usually feed it to them partially frozen. They love it. If you are also feeding kibble just remember to not feed your normal amount. You don't want them eating too much. Hope this helps a little.

3. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

I dont know the name on english, but i've feed the chicken body skeleton, they sell it here pretty cheap and works good on the 75% bone diet i gave my dogs few weeks ago, i combined it with rabbit and then some mix of meat,olive oil,atum,egg,honey,apple vinegar and little vegetable.

Now im trying Luposan dry food, working good... still adapting, my older dog refuses any dry food till i found this one and now he DEVORES it, i still give them this mix 2-3 days a week, olive oil + apple vinegar works pretty good.

4. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

chicken breasts are fine to get them started on raw, you just have to make sure they get the proper nutrients for calcium,etc so do some reading on the raw diet first before you start.. you can go online and google raw feeding and get a whole bunch of sites to read.

5. thanks to all. i have started it, and they LOVE it! i can already see an energy difference. thanks!

6. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

For a yard of dogs chicken backs, necks and thighs are the most economical to feed. I go thru about 40 lbs of chicken a week feeding 12 dogs. I feed beef liver, chx liver, or chx hearts and gizzards 1-2 times a week as well.

Because I am broke and lazy I havent gone all together raw yet. I still feed canadae as a kibble and the raw as a treat meal. The kibble makes it easy for me to make sure they are getting a complete diet with some of the best ingredients I can get.

For a 30 lb dog they get about 1 cup of Canadae mixed with water (not mushy) in the morning and at night they get 1 chicken back or about 1/2 lb of frozen organs.

7. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

I'm not doing the chicken thing, but I do add Tuna to my dogs kibble.

8. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Mine do the thighs and wings, only because I prefer it...I tried the breasts and my female started to choke a little on the size of the bones in the breast...did it effect her NO, did I totally over react and say never again...OF COURSE!!!!!

Hee hee!

9. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

You can feed your dog any part of the chicken. If you are worried about the bones, just debone the chicken. If you get leg quarters, just cut the bone out. To make up for the missing calcium, just add a couple of spoon fulls of or maybe one heaping spoon full of cottage cheese.

Trust me, it would be cheaper to buy leg quarters and debone them yourself. If you take the time to learn how to feed raw, why not take the time to learn how to process the meat for your dog as well.

Fish is a good source of protein and healthy fats, so add that as well. Its all about a balance. Rule of thumb for feeding raw. Never feed too much of one part. Mix it up. It will do your dog some good, physically and mentally. If you want to give your dog some real energy, just feed a small amount of beef kidney or liver.. Does wonders. Not too much though.. could be toxic. :-)

Hope this helps.

10. Roadman Jr.

Roadman Jr. Guest

What about chicken gizzards,would they be ok for your dog?

11. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Yes you can..ANY part of the chicken. Just remember to feed small amounts of kidneys.

12. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

i feed chicken thighs, wings and quarters with bones.. the breasts i take the bones and cartlidge out, plus they get gizzards, hearts, beef, venison, fish, eggs w/ shells, salmon oil, prozyme, kelp, bee pollen.

here are some sites to check out for raw info:

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.sundaysaver.com/<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->pets.groups.yahoo.com/gro...-Supplier/
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.barfworld.com/<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.barfers.com/<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.rawdogranch.com/<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.angelfire.com/biz/fro...awFed.html<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->b-naturals.com/default.php<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.ipindex.com/<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.caberfeidh.com/index.htm<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.bowchow.com/<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->forums.doghobbyist.com/fo...p?catid=29

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->Re: BARF websites and books
    <HR SIZE=1><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.rawfeddogs.net/<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->leerburg.com/feedingarawdiet.html
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->b-naturals.com/May2006.php<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->b-naturals.com/natural.php
    http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->www.sundaysaver.com/<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->
    <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->pets.groups.yahoo.com/gro...-Supplier/<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

<!-- / sig -->

13. thanks guys. this is all very helpful info. what about beef chunks? like stew meat type chunks? i see that some say to mix it up between fish, chicken and beef. also, we go hunting sometimes. deer meat?

14. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

yes, beef, venison, ostrich, emu, quail,pheasant, buffalo, tripe, pork, ham, whatever your dog can tolerate.. mine cant tolerate pork so they dont get that, but they get all other meats out there..

15. Thanks So Much! Better Safe Than Sorry!

16. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

Chicken breasts can get expensive. We've fed deer, and quite a bit of beef, some fish and random parts of the chicken but the breasts are usually fed getting ready for a show. If you want to go breasts, Id get the bagged frozen ones. In my part of town a bag of 8 will run around $7.00.

17. Sid Finster

Sid Finster Big Dog

Redhead gets every part of the chicken from the head to the tail, except for feathers. Same with beef, rabbit, lamb, turkey, duck, etc..

He seems to enjoy.