1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Would like your opinion, please...

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Suki, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Suki

Suki Guest

I was asked by the sec of our Mass club to write an article on BSL, to be put in our upcoming newsletter. It had to be short, so, I would like your opinions, please, being it's my first. Tx in advance!

BSL: EVERY dog owner's concern

Whether or not you care to admit it, Breed Specific Legislation, or "BSL" as it is commonly called, is legislation that EVERY dog owner should be aware of and concerned about.What initially errupted in Germany, BSL has steadily stretched its tentacles into several other countries, as well as 31 states, from Alabama to Wisconsin. While "pitbulls", a term, not a breed that I use loosely here, seems to be its main target, other breeds such as rottweillers, akitas, and german shepards, to name but a few, have also seen BSL's wrath. BSL does not discriminate against race, creed or color. If YOU own a dog whose description fits into its classification, you face the risk of loosing your dog.That may be by seizure, imposed by authorites, resulting, sadly, in your dogs' demise. BSL NEEDS to be stopped, and responsible dog owners have to be the ones to ensure that it doesn't pass in their communities, counties and states.

The key opponent to BSL's opposition is education. The legislators and public, proponents of BSL, NEED to be shown that imposing breed bans is not the answer. Everyone knows that ANY dog will bite! There has been a "bad" breed for evey decade. In the 70's, the Doberman was the guilty party. The 90's focused on the Rottweiler. The 00's have, again, selected the "pitbull". Which breed will be next?

BSL is not the fix, it's the reaction to those unknowageable enough in regards to specific canine behavior. Namely, aggression. While people seem to group the two, canine and human aggression differ widely. A FACT that NEEDS to to be learned.

There are many alternatives to BSL. Having the targeted breeds prohibited and euthanized will only ensure that another breed will soon be found to take its place. In 41 states so far, Dangerous Dog Laws are already in effect. "If a stronger enforcement of these laws were put into effect, there would be a decrease in the number of attacks". If children were more sufficiently supervised while in the company of dogs, the bite statistics would be lowered. Put the blame where the blame should be placed=on irresponsible dog owners, instead of on the dogs, themselves. This is where education comes into play. First and foremost, KNOW YOUR DOG!!!!! NEVER trust a dog NOT to fight. Be responsible:licience your dog, train your dog, socialize your dog. Be accountable for your dog, for, until you do so, how can you excect anyone else to be?...

In closing, BSL punishes every owner. The responsible, law abiding ones, as well as the owners who act irresponsibly. The responsible owners will pay the price for those not willing to step up to the plate and act responsibly for their dog. BSL has stretched from the air lines, to pet stores to home owners insurance. Presently, there are over 150 different breeds that are banned in different countries throughout the world. Breed bans will never work, because they target ALL dogs of a breed. Remember, BSL doesn't discriminate:it targets EVERY person... Laws to control aggressive dogs of ANY breed, strictly enforced to keep dogs from running loose or becoming a "nuisance" to neighborhoods, seems, imo, more humane and plausible. If BSL is not stopped, then your breed and mine will be.

Vote "NO" to BSL, whenever and wherever you can. Be the voice for you dog. WE have done this to them. They deserve at least that much in return!

WE ARE THEIR HEROS (in part)...

(Jim Willis)

If you worry that you have not made a difference, you have, for only those who do not worry about it have not.

If you feel overwhelmed, if the weight of problems is too heavy to bear, remember, it is a shared burden, and strength in numbers can accomplish much.

If you think society and government are blind, it only serves to remind that we need to change one mind at a time, one law after another. We effect change by cooperation, not by isolation.

If you consider that we cannot save them all, and what difference does one make?,

you ought to know the joy of the one who is saved. Mourn those we cannot save, it is a eulogy to their being.

Do not let their loss be in vain".....

Suki

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2006
  2. Marty

Marty Guest

If you worry that you have not made a difference, you have, for only those who do not worry about it have not.

If you feel overwhelmed, if the weight of problems is too heavy to bear, remember, it is a shared burden, and strength in numbers can accomplish much.

If you think society and government are blind, it only serves to remind that we need to change one mind at a time, one law after another. We effect change by cooperation, not by isolation.

If you consider that we cannot save them all, and what difference does one make?,

you ought to know the joy of the one who is saved. Mourn those we cannot save, it is a eulogy to their being.

Do not let their loss be in vain".....
    Quote of the year right there .......

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Wow. That is great Suki, and yes Marty, I think that does take quote of the year.

4. Suki

Suki Guest

Tx you guys.:o Your opinions mean a lot!!!!:)

5. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Super article Suki.:)

6. Judy

Judy CH Dog

That's good, Suki!

7. lil_bit807

lil_bit807 Big Dog

That's a super article. That should hit home to alot of proud, caring owners. Maybe even motivate owners to take a stand !!!!

8. Suki

Suki Guest

hey, tx you guys!!! ...been off for a few days=work, crazy busy!!!

I appreciate the replies. Our club hits the states of the east coast, namely, R.I., Mass, N.H., and Maine, (and others I may have missed), so,I HOPE, if nothing else, this'll put a few thoughts in people's heads. Tx again. Anything I should have added, or done differently?
    (I wish I had more than 1/2 a page=LOTS to write about, in regards to this subject....)....