1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

worming

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by SAM_I_AM, Apr 5, 2006.

1. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

Does anyone use Ivermectin? I know it is a wormer for horses. But does anyone use it on there dogs?

2. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

i have never used that for a wormer,,I have only used strongid and panacur

3. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I've never used it either. I use Nemex-2. I got it from Southern States.
    It works really well.

4. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

anyone????

5. Yes, I use Ivermectin sometimes. Its used as a preventative for heart worms. Other worms (hook,tape,round) are better prevented with wormers such as Nemex or equivalent. Ivermectin in toxic, and if used incorrectly, can do damage to your pooch. Hoewever, it is effective as a heartworm, and mite treatment. I get mine thru Jeffers Equine supply.

6. Marty

Marty Guest

Yes, I use it monthly, for heart worms only.

7. yeah i have used it for the heart worms also it is fine to use on your dogs.

8. B

B CH Dog

It is not a general wormer. You can use it for heartworms if dosed properly. The best general ALL wormer is Drontal+. www.petshed.com for the best prices. I buy the generic in 100 pills at a time. 1.59 is cheap for a normally prescription drug all wormer.

Regards,

B

9. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Actually Ivermectin is VERY safe. It only stays in the body for 24hrs. Collie breeds can have reactions to it, in high doses. I know people who have give 1ml once a day for 5 days and never had any problems. I would highly recommed using it for heartworm prevention.

10. Im not gonna get on an Ivomec rant, but for heartworms, 1ml/day for a week is not the correct dose (not saying you think it is), and there would be no way to tell just by looking at the dog that there is 'nothing wrong.' Ya gotta think about what a chemical such as Ivermectin can do to the kidney and liver. Yes, I think Ivermectin is safe for dogs, just make sure you dose the right amount for what you are using it for (ie, heartworms, mange, earmites, etc)

11. the_flamingo

the_flamingo Top Dog

Thank you for that link. I just ordered some through them. ;)