1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Worming Schedules

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by pittychick, Jul 31, 2007.

1. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

I was just curious as to what type of worming schedules everybody uses? I'm use to the typical heartguard type of worming that the vets shove down your throats, but know that others use paste wormers and what not.

How often do you worm, do you change the types of wormers, do you use certain wormers at certain seasons (I know us horse folks do)?

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10022&highlight=worming+schedule

Mine are wormed with Ivermectin, every other month for heart worms.

Puppies are wormed 3 days consecutively, around 5 weeks of age. From then on, once a week, for 4 more weeks. I use a mixture of wormers for this, ranging from pyrantel pamoate, prazinquental, and febendazole.

Ivermectin will halt the reproduction of heartworms, and at certain doses is known to kill various forms of worms. However, we prefer specific wormers, for specific ailments and do not dose Ivermectin high enough to feel comfortable relying on it as a wormer.

Once the dogs hit a year old, we try to worm them about every 6 months. Very rarely do they pass anything, but it's cheap insurance to keep infestation risk low.

3. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

Thanks a bunch, I did a search but didn't come up with any old threads.

4. simms

simms CH Dog

Heart gaurd is a great product. infact it is what I recomend to clients. Why? because it is effective, afforadable and easily adminnisterd .....it's a solid product and one of the best on the market.

Heart gaurd /frontline

5. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

interceptor is a good one too. it gets all the other worms along with HW except for tapeworms.