1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

woried about my pups tummy

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by IslandTie, Apr 13, 2006.

1. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

can any one advise me about my pups tummy? it looks big and round to me... im worming her out. the vet gave me some pills that i should give to her every weekend for 4 weeks but im not sure if its working. can u please look at the pic and advise me on what to do or if it looks normal to you. i have had other dogs b4 and they have never looked like that but this is my first pit so i might be wrong about the shape.

this is the link: http://www.game-dog.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=12007&c=3&userid=5180

2. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

Can Some One Please Help Me?

3. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

All I can say is worm him! I'm not sure what kind of pills your vet is prescribing, but if it's not working you could get online and check out some wormers. Drontal+, I believe, is an all-wormer and isn't too expensive.

4. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

Thanks Houston, But Did U Look At The Pic? Does It Look Round To U Too?

5. GD2

GD2 Top Dog

Well I Could Not Tell From That Picture But What You Are Saying Sounds Like Worms. Nice Looking Dog.

6. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Post a side shot of the pup in question.

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

^^^Yup. And to reply to your caption on the photo...LEAVE THOSE EARS!! They look good! Trust me, most would kill for ears that fold that cute ;)

8. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

It could be bloat. Does your dog wolf her food down??and/or then get a drink of water? Does she pause or stop eating to let her stomach settle? Ive had large breed pups like that but not a apbt so its a guess. YIS

9. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

10. bdub

bdub Top Dog

id say its probably bloat,could be worms but im going to say bloat

11. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

OK BLOAT... IS THAT OK AND IF NOT WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT IT?

12. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

Looks like bloat to me. Does she drink a lot of water? How long has her belly been like this? Is she passing gas at all? Does she want to eat? Bloat can be serious, if she starts getting distressed (excessive panting, in pain, whining a lot, not moving) or goes into shock, get her to a vet ASAP!

13. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

Yeah She Drinks Alot Of Water And And Usually Eats As Much Food As I Give Her. Shes Been Like That Since I Got Her Which Is About 2 And A Half Weeks Now. Ill Take Her To Another Vet But I Guess She Has To Wait Till Tuesday Since Its The Easter Holidays...every Thing Will Be Closed Here.

THANKS FOR THE INFO

14. Suki

Suki Guest

If you're retaking her to the vets, perhaps you could bring along another stool sample as well, to have her rechecked for her worms.

As far as bloat goes,

BLOAT: The life threatening canine emergency

BLOAT is the second leading killer of dogs. Cancer is the first. BLOAT is a canine medical emergency. BLOAT can occur in two forms: gastric dilatation (swelling of the stomach from gas); or, gastric dilatation with volvulus, i. e., torsion, which occurs when the stomach twists on its axis. Often, both forms of bloat occur in a single episode with the second form quickly following the first. When this happens, BLOAT is fatal in minutes. BLOAT is also known as gastric dilatation-volvulus or GDV.

Tragically, the majority of dog owners have never heard of BLOAT. Typically, an owner awakens in the morning or returns home from work and finds dead his/her, otherwise healthy, dog. As dog owners rarely have an autopsy performed, the cause of death is never determined, and the owner never learns about BLOAT. Most canine diseases (e. g., cancer, hip dysplasia, etc.) progress over weeks, months or even years, not minutes. The dog owner has the opportunity to notice that his/her dog is not feeling well and has time to take the dog to the vet to begin a course of treatment. Along with the treatment the owner learns about the disease.

With BLOAT, the disease progresses in minutes or, at most, hours. The only treatment is emergency medical attention. In its two advanced forms, the only treatment is surgery. Symptoms of BLOAT may include:

• excessive salivation/drooling
    • extreme restlessness/pacing
    • unproductive attempts to vomit/defecate
    • evidence of abdominal pain (whining and tenderness in the stomach area)
    • abdominal distension
    • rapid breathing/panting
    • cold/pale mouth membranes
    • collapse

The following factors have been identified as “non-dietary risk factors”* for BLOAT:

1. Using a raised food bowl - 110% risk increase associated with using a raised food bowl
    2. Speed of eating (1-10 scale) – 15% risk increase for each unit increase in speed of eating (for dogs weighing from 49 to 100 pounds)
    3. Age in years – 20% risk increase for each year increase in age
    4. Chest depth/width ratio (1.0 to 2.4) – 170% risk increase for each unit increase in chest depth/width ratio
    5. First degree relative with BLOAT – 63% risk increase associated with having a first degree relative with BLOAT (First degree relative is defined as a sire, dam, litter mate or offspring.)
    and:

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

good luck!

15. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

Thanks Alot Suki... I'll Keep A Close Eye On Her And Take Her As Soon As The Vet Reopens... If Any Thing Between Now And Then Ill Call The Vet To See What To Do.

16. mosh

mosh Pup

good luck...hope your pups alright.

17. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

our dog did the same thing. They ate a lot of goose poop and they got really bloated in the same way. They also ate thier food fast as puppies as well. We let them go to sleep and they were fine the next day. All they did was have gas the whole night. I got worries because of the stomach flip that some dogs can get. But they didn't have the symptoms for it. So hopefully it is just gas which i think it is or it still could be the worms. Good luck though.

18. IslandTie

IslandTie Big Dog

Yeah Thanks Guys... She Cost Me Alot Of Money And Im Very Attached To Her Now I Hope She Turns Out To Be Ok. Only God Can Tell.

19. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

A couple of questions if you don't mind:)

What is the name of the wormer you are giving your pup?

What food are you feeding her?

How often do you feed her in a day? (once, twice?)

Does she wolf her food down like she was starving?

Did the Vet do a fecal sample reading before he gave you the worming meds?

If he did, what worm or worms was she diagnosed with?

So many different things can cause tummy bloat on a pup. With a little more information, we might be able to help you better;)

20. japangame

japangame Big Dog

how much do you feed her? this could also be a prob
    if she eats too much you will get this look after feed and water.