1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wooden house and barrell combo I made

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by littleblackdog, Oct 26, 2010.

1. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

Believe or not. I do more than just run mouth, I actually own dogs and do them as well. This is a house built here just recently.

Couple tricks of the trade that I have learned on these houses:

35lbs and under use a 25 gal barrell
    35 and over use a 55 gal barrell

Put a handle on the barrell to make it easy to get out of the house, it removes in and out easily, front to back make it tight, leave a 1/8 inch of gap and the side to side leave a 3 inch gap and take a scrap 2 x 4 to hold in place remove when you remove are removing the barrell. The barrell comes out during the hot parts of the year.

prime and caulk everything possible, then caulk again after you done, and use a good primer and some regular latex paint (buy a decent brand)

I used spray foam as insulation, did this once before and it worked great and doesn't mold. I drill holes in the interior walls after the house is built and then spray foam it and it is sealed shut and tight better than normal insulation.

To do list:
    paint the roof black in winter and then back to white during hot months

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

sorry for the crappy loaded to the pictures, I don't know what was up with that but it will give you an idea of what I did.

3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

damn, nice work lbd. i like the handle idea, gonna have to steal that.

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

so this is what you were telling me about. i'm workin on my own similar design tbh. Imma have to show you and see what you think. NICE

5. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

thanks DP, yep, the mother to the little ones is going in there, got to keep her warm, got a lot riding on her. Just over a $125 bucks in material between it all, but it will last a long time for sure of that.

6. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Nice little black. Hit me up sometime would like to chat more.

7. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

will do, it will be tomorrow evening, got class and a speech tonight after work and dogs. Thanks again guys and btw, the rinky dinky spot above the entry is just there for winter months to add to blocking the wind, I made the door a little bigger than usual to give some good air flow for summer time, we have had some really hot weather the last couple of years, really dry for the dogs. I threw it up with 4 screws so if it breaks or comes off no biggie. I can't think of a draw back yet to this house but when it comes I will let you know.

8. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

yea i never thought of that either lol, gonna have to steal that too.

9. eddieem

eddieem Big Dog

look good, thanks for sharing

10. quinny

quinny Big Dog

Sure looks the part LBD. Going to have to work out a new house arrangement soon and this in my opinion is one of the better ideas! Can I ask what caulk is? I have no idea about paints aye.

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

caulking is just a sealer for cracks, to water proof the houses, keeps drafts out as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

What does the top/roof look like?? never seenm one quite like this. Good idea looks good.

13. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

The roof is nothing special, I just cut a long piece of plywood and the nail 2X4 for support. I made rectangle the size of the top of the house and just screwed into it. I think that will be the flaw in the house, been thinking of using some galvanized roof tin for it, just screw it into it and caulk the screw holes. I have two houses now that are over 20 years old and that is what is on them and the houses are fine, just wanted to upgrade a bit more. We got snow that was around 4 ft last year at times so I am overkilling it this year. Thanks for the comments guys.

14. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

Nice work! I like the idea of the removable barrel. Not only that you can remove it for warmer times, but it will be easy to clean out & remove/replace straw or whatever you use for bedding. I live out in Cali so the house might be a little overkill for me but I like it so I might have to try & build one :dogtongue: