1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wire gauge size on kennel

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by azdog, Aug 11, 2004.

1. azdog

azdog Big Dog

I was wanting to put up chain link kennels,I was wondering if someone can tell me what gauge of chain link is best?Also whether to cement the floor or not?Thank you gentlemen for your understaing of my greeness.

2. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

First off I gotta say I'm not a fan of kennels for our dogs. I believe they do better on a chain, they usually get more love and attention on a chain. Also a good chain set-up seems more escape proof. But to answer your question: I believe a good chainlink fence or one made of cattle fence (not the flimsy shit ya buy at most lumber yards) make great kennels. Concrete floors are easier to keep clean, but usually harder on the dogs feet and joints. IMO

3. X

X Banned

Smooth concrete is better for the pads and if kept in the shade is usually cooler than dirt. I have seen dogs chew through the heavy gauge chain link fence, but for pups and some dogs, kennels work fine. There are advantages and disadvantages to both chain runs and kennels, it all depends on the person and the dog. :)

4. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Concrete is a good idea, especially for pups as its much easier to keep clean and free of parasites. I had concrete in VA, and can't wait till I get concrete here.

BB

5. I am a fan of a 10 ft 5/8 chain, witha good sized swivel and get a stake atleast 24-30 inches long, they will never be able to pull it up, they get built up a bit by the chain and they get alot more loving. All my dogs have their own food and water bowl, I feed them one cup in the morning and they are watered. then in the evening same thing. Concrete is costly, I think a dog needs to be in touch with the earth. All my dog houses are made out of plastic barrels (8 bucks at rural king). puppy pen is separate and they have their own dog houses as well. you need to have a brood bitch/isolation area for whelping and in heat gyps. 10 x 10 or 12 is fine. my puppy pen is 12 x 12. I put concrete blocks on the outside of the pen holding up 14 inch wide boards to prevent them from digging or getting out of the pen. ALWAYS keep pups separate from adults, even the mother after the initial separation. IF you take the pups out for your child to play with, keep them under supervision. I let mine out for my girl to play with, in five minute or less they crawled away from my child, under the fence and was killed. there were three killed, by one of my males.

6. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

I dont like kennels eather... or concrete for that matter... I had dogs on concrete, but I tore it all back up after a year... yes, it was easier to clean, but their pads got sensitive, and their feet started to splay, from walking on concrete all the time.... If anything, gravel is best... with a wire barrier barried atleast a foot under the fence, all the way around, concrete blocks work too... and a top is a must here... most of them leap a 6 ft. fence with ease.... if they cant jump it, they will climb it.... I like a good chain set up under a nice big shade tree, with the barrels here too.... do you put a flap over the hole in the barrel?? Hac a problem with the rain comming in sideways, and flooding the poor things out!!

7. azdog

azdog Big Dog

thank you gentlemen for your thots & ideas.It is really helpful for a new comer like me.

8. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

No problem... Good lunk!!!
    [​IMG]

9. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Whats Lunk?? lol
    I wouldn't suggest kennels for adult dogs other than when they may be injured, and the concrete flooring will help make any injured adults stay cleaner as well. All things have a purpose, and a good kennel with concrete flooring DEFINATELY has its place.
    BB

10. gator

gator Big Dog

When I frame up my kennels I use 2x6 and I build off 4x4`s I don`t pour concrete for the floor. I frame out a floor with joist`s on 16`` center and lay out a wood floor with 2x8`s and if cleaned and bleached on a regular basis this is perfect. When I run my wire I use welded wire with 2x4 squares and then I take 2x4`s and run a rail on the top,middle, and bottom and nail staples to attach the wire to the backside of the 2x4`s. For the top I build a basic gable style top and just put tarp on it. This has always worked for me and I have never had an escape but I still have dogs I keep on chains and I use nothing less than a 3/8`` chain set up,actually I keep more dog`s on chains than I do kennels. The key to the wood bottom floor is to keep it cleaned and bleached,usually only have to bleach a couple of times a week if you are keeping it clean,easy on the pads and certainly can`t dig out.

11. azdog

azdog Big Dog

Thanks Gator.By chance you would have a snap sot you could post would ya?If not thanks any ways.

12. gator

gator Big Dog

I will take a digital and email it to you.