1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

winter hiking/camping

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Mr. Brownstone, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I know a few on GD hike with their dogs as i have asked about heat before and got some help. Being i live in the north east it is now getting colder but nothing bad yet... i think frost in the am for the first time?!

I did a good amount of light hiking last winter mostly 3-4 hrs and 6-8 miles. I have now done a good amount of climbs with the dogs and have em up to a average of 6 miles a day and twice a week do 8-12 mile days. I would say we are doing about 35-40 miles a week give or take for rest when they show they need it.

I wanna do some winter day hikes to 3000-4000 maybe 5000ft above tree line hikes with them. I would really like to think i could do some overnight winter camping with em to be honest. I have searched and searched on the net and find very little info on the subject, anyone do amy winter hiking with the dogs that could chime in and offer some advice?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
  2. general

general Big Dog

you should watch the film " broke back mountain" ye get all the tips on midnight camping there :D.

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

4. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

that sounds great !!
    sadly im in holland otherwise i would have love such a trip whit the dogs!!:)

no much snow here and if there is its a copple of days :rolleyes:

5. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Yeah i have coats for em made by a company in Canada called Chilly Dog... they are great they have a fleece neck and lining that come all the way up neck to just behind the ears and then a neck gator with a draw string to tighten around the head. The shell is a Gore Tex product of sorts. I gotta figure out good boots as i bought mutt lucks and they dont stay on in deep snow.. i need something that comes up higher and straps on tight.

I was just thinking short haired dogs might have a hard time in 0-15 temps. I am gonna get a winter mountaineering tents and a good bag for them and give it a go close to home first and see how it goes?

6. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

in northern new england winter camping like i have done, best to have an oversized bag and have your dog in the bag with you- helps with conductive heating, keeping BOTH of you warm.

7. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I thought i had noticed you spent some time in New England from a few things you have said in posts.

8. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

yup, spent the first 35 years of my life in new england, the last 13 before i moved to TN was spent on green mtn. in NH