1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Willie Nelson weighs in on Ga. dogfighting

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Marty, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

Atlanta Journal Constitution - GA --The supporters of state legislation that would toughen the penalties for dogfighting sought an ally who was a man of the people.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Willie Nelson.

A public service announcement that the country music legend and animal lover filmed could be on TV and radio soon. It supports a state Senate bill that would make it a felony for anyone to sell, train or transport dogs for the purpose of dogfighting.

"I can't tell you how much I appreciate his help on this," said state Sen. Chip Rogers (R-Woodstock), who authored Senate Bill 16. "I'm becoming a bigger fan every day."

In the spot, over the strains of "Georgia on My Mind," Nelson looks into the camera and makes an appeal for the bill.

Says Nelson, "Dogfighting is against the law in Georgia, but the laws are so weak, the beautiful state of Georgia has become a haven for dogfighters from around the country."

Nelson was asked to shoot the PSA by Utah-based Best Friends Animal Society, a national animal welfare organization that also produced the spot.

Nelson shot it in October in his tour bus before a performance in Las Vegas. Rogers hopes to have the spot run on TV and radio around the time of sentencing for suspended Falcons quarterback Michael Vick (Dec. 10) and then again when the state's legislative session begins in January.

The bill passed unanimously in the Senate last session. It will go before a House committee in January.

"What we want to do is create awareness of how bad the laws are in Georgia to protect dogs," said Rogers, who wrote the legislation long before Vick's involvement in dogfighting became public. "I think this will go a long way to help people be aware of that."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2007/11/23/nelson_1124.html

2. simms

simms CH Dog

Damn it Willie!!!!

3. jr Pit Guy

jr Pit Guy Big Dog

You would figure that a guy who is against all of the media BS on one of HIS favorite pasttimes (guess what that is) would be against this crap. And I really enjoyed Willie.

4. DeadGame4

DeadGame4 Big Dog

And the pile on continues...

5. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Very odd he would do something like this considering one of his best friends was Dave,and he knew he matched dogs back in the old days.in fact ol Williy was even at a couple in his day.

6. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Willie go smoke some weed!!!!!!!!

7. willypete

willypete Big Dog

willie has turned into a rope suck'n pole smoke'n gay rights supporten dip stick