1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wilkes-Barre Mayor Tom Leighton backed off on his original plan to ban pit bulls fro

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Marty, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

PA, USA -- The mayor pulled a proposed ordinance to ban pit bulls from city council's agenda Tuesday. The decision was hailed by pit bull owners, dog club representatives and other opponents.

State legal experts will help city officials draft a new ordinance to place restrictions on pit bulls, he said. These restrictions will include registering the dogs with the city, muzzling the dogs while they are in public, and keeping them on a leash.

"The population of pit bulls is growing very quickly," Leighton said. "We have a lot of bad pit bull owners who are not taking proper measures. We need to address the situation before it gets out of control. The biggest scare right now for the City of Wilkes-Barre is to have some child or some resident attacked by a pit bull."
    Some pit bull owners cut their dogs' vocal cords, so police officers or residents cannot hear them bark, Leighton said.

"From the information I am receiving from police officers, they are becoming a very serious problem in our neighborhoods," Leighton said.
    Leighton originally wanted to pattern the ordinance after an ordinance in Denver, Colo., which banned pit bulls entirely from the city.

Since May 9, more than 150 pit bulls were impounded or euthanized since Denver renewed one of the most sweeping bans in the nation, according to the Christian Science Monitor.
    After an article appeared in The Citizens' Voice Tuesday about Leighton's proposal, he received a number of responses that breed-specific legislation is unconstitutional and a violation of Pennsylvania's dangerous dog law. Colorado does not have this law.

Jaime Bates, president of the Lehigh Valley American Staffordshire Terrier Club, drove from Weatherly Tuesday to attend the work session after reading about the proposed ban online.
    After the mayor pulled the proposed ordinance from the agenda, Bates told pit bull owners outside city council chambers it was a violation of state law.

"The state has a dangerous dog law now. They can't pass this and their advisers probably told them this already, which is why they are pulling it tonight, so they can get the wording correct," Bates said.
    While enacting breed-specific legislation is unconstitutional, restrictions are allowed, Bates said.
    "Police are finding irresponsible dog owners are doing things to affect their jobs. Police are here to protect all of us. If we're in danger, by all means, they should protect us," Bates said.

Wilkes-Barre resident Arden Fahey, who owns a 6-month-old pit bull named Gunner, said she was opposed to a ban, but she had no problem with restrictions. If the city banned pit bulls, she said she would move.
    "They need to protect law enforcement, but you can't ban a breed just because it is a vicious breed," Fahey said.

Fahey rescued her pit bull from a "bad situation." He is very protective of her three children. If her 3-year-old daughter falls, he makes sure no one goes near her until she gets up, she said. She feels safer with her pit bull.
    "He's a very strong dog. I'm not going to say he's not strong dog, but it's all in the way you raise a breed. You can raise any dog to be vicious," Fahey said. "As long as I can take him out, even with a muzzle, I'm happy."
    Bates congratulated Leighton after the work session for pulling the proposed ordinance. She told the mayor she was willing to work with him to draft new legislation.

If pit bulls were banned, she told the mayor people could get "bigger, stronger, meaner dogs."
    Sarah Sprouse, program administrator for canine legislation for the American Kennel Club, sent the mayor a letter stating the club also was willing to work with him to develop a "workable" dangerous dog law.
    "A breed-specific ordinance in Wilkes-Barre would be in direct conflict with Pennsylvania's dangerous dog law, which precludes cities from enacting breed-specific legislation," Sprouse wrote.

Enactment of a breed-specific law also can increase administrative costs at local shelters with additional euthanasia of the targeted breed, she wrote.
    While Leighton received negative responses about his original proposal to ban pit bulls, he also received calls from people who supported the idea.

"For every two bad calls I got today, I got eight good calls from people who experienced bad situations," Leighton said. "What I am being told is that drug houses that have been raided all have pit bulls. When the police chief tells me his men are in jeopardy, I have to listen to him."

Vicki likes this.
  2. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

yeh I agree. Instead of giving these drug dealers a slap on the wrist, make the penalties severe. Wilkes Barre already has a dangerous dog law on the books. How come its not being enforced? Why make new laws when they are not taking advantage of the ones already in place?

3. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Some pit bull owners cut their dogs' vocal cords, so police officers or residents cannot hear them bark, Leighton said.

The owners do this???