1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Why Not Buy a Choke Lead?

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by odinslad, May 28, 2011.

1. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

Why not just buy yourself a choke lead train your dog right & you wont need to buy any collars harnesess all a waste of money if you ask me

*This thread was split from the leather collar thread. 3MTA3

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Re: collers/harnesses

Some have deciplined dogs that dont need a choke lead. Or like ther dogs to pull. So the waste of money deal can be looked at both ways. He asked where to find a nice leather collar or harness. Not for opinions on what to buy.

3. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

Get your point on buying a nice collar harness for your dog but as mentioned before i dont need one personaly as ( my dogs are well behaved & disaplined to a high standard ) i do still have choke leads at all times with me when out with the dogs but its incase another dog aproaches my dogs but most of the time the dogs have nothing round their necks ,also read a book once that stated a dog is more unsicure with a lead on that a dog os without a lead if another dog aproaches your dog,always prefered a choke lead for training purposes .

4. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

I understand what you're saying. Not trying to argue. When I'm out and have a dog with me I keep them on a leash. If a dog comes up wanting to start something then its up to its owner to control his.

5. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

As long as you have got a lead of any sort with & another dog does attacks your dogs then you will be in the right on having your dog under control with the other owner responsable for not controling his dog as we all know that its our breed of dog who will be judged at the end of the day right or wrong in some peoples eyes.

6. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

What is the point of having a choke chain on a dog when not training them? Thats the whole point of training right, to teach a dog a command without having to re-enforce or correct it? The day you put faith in a dog to do what you tell it is the day you better have a break stick and a whole lot of extra cash.

7. blanch

blanch Big Dog

because dogs get a much better workout when pulling on their lead.

8. jacko

jacko CH Dog

agreed they do , but i for one dont want to be dragged or taken for a walk by my dogs, i think a certain level of control is needed. i think nothing of getting out for 10 - 15 miles and when i want my dogs to pull i just say "pull it " and it works for me . by the way we are talking day to day life and not conditioning a dog ?

9. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

I see where your coming from in the training of your dog with a choke lead ,but my preferance is a choke lead with me at all times when out with the dogs , i would like to say i have full control over my dogs at all times & its easyier to just wrap the choke leads up & put them in your pocket when your dogs are doing what they should be doing running about freely.

10. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

I think we are getting our wires crossed here , the choke leads we are talking about is more for training a dog than for pulling .

11. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i gotcha, i have seen staffords collapse when choke chains are used wrongly .

12. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

i will use my deep pockets and buy all my dogs standard buckle collars...$8 per dog every couple of years is certainly not going to break me.
    and having lost a dog due to choke collar, i cant stress enough that they are not for everyday situations

13. Mikemorabito

Mikemorabito Big Dog

buy a choke lead is a waste of money, if oyu know how to educate your dog you don't anything like that

14. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

i dont use choke collar because i got a working dog and dont whine and bitch when he wants to work...

15. AGame

AGame CH Dog

LMMFAO hell of a post here nice to be re affirmed your not the only dumb ass i got ya and i'm with ya ahahaha atleast we have folks to come in on threads that break it up a lil bit and give us a damn good ole belly laugh

16. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

First of all, choke collars are dangerous. They can crush a dogs windpipe and seriously hurt or kill a dog if the leash gets tangled on something. Just the action of jerking the dogs neck with a choke creates muscle damage and scar tissue at the point on the neck where the chain runs through the ring. Choke collars were only meant to get the dogs attention or give a correction by giving a pop on the collar, where it closes and opens instantly, but the vast majority of people go much further than this. They yank on the collar and pull the dog around by the neck with the collar choking the dog. Most collars are put on backwards. This is even worse because then the collar closes and stays closed unless opened. For training purposes alone, a prong collar is much safer. The neck is not damaged because the prongs only pinch the skin. They do not injure the muscle or windpipe. They should be positioned high up on the dogs head just behind the ears and under the jaw. They should be tight enough so that it doesnt slide down but not so tight that its digging into the neck. Of course, prong collars should only be used during training and not when you are exercising the dog. It is also a good idea to attach it to a regular collar as a back up in case of collar failure.

17. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

The only one having the laugh on here is me looking at your lovely picture & if you could speak proper english then id mabee take attention,DICKHEAD still go by my side of things with choke leads & letting my dogs run freely when im out with them thats what you would call a well trained dog.

18. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

You sound like an idiot. Go rescue some dogs and take them to petsmart or something...get off the forum.

19. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

Dont see the funny side of your comment but grimsonghost gets you going with his know it all on dogs then your in his wee world of fantacy then good luck to you both as their is people on here who want to swap ideas listen to opinions .

20. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

the only idiots on here at present is you lot who know it all , yous have made my night so round up your freek show & go back to the PITBULL FORUMS